Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day 3 tests and experience og Galway Fertility Centre

• 30-03-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, we've been trying for over year now (about 16 months) and no luck so finally bit the bullet and went to the GP today to get things started. We have been tracking ovulation using CB monitor and I get a peak every month about day 16 and 17, and maybe 6 high days around this. Today is day 3 but they couldn't take bloods today as was too late in afternoon and lab would be closed, so was told to come back Monday which will be day 6. From what I can see online day 4/5 is usually the latest these tests are done, has anyone had theirs done this late? I'm just worried maybe they misunderstood where I was in my cycle though I did tell them it was day 3 I'm on at moment.

Hubby will also have to give sample early next week so at least we'll have some preliminary results soon enough. The doctor also mentioned the wait for fertility treatment (we're in the west so Galway is closest) is a few months for first appointment, and then another few months after that before you get a second appointment to start any treatment if needed. Has anyone been to Galway for treatment, and how long was your wait for first, and subsequent appointments?

Thanks very much, glad to have got started but nervous now too about what is ahead.

Comments

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

The bloods are more to test pre and post ov levels. If on day 6 you are pre ovulation then it should be fine.

Galway when I attended in Nov 11 was an 8 week wait from referral from GP, (but as I had to get bloods done in the meantime it gave me enough time. Subsequent appointments were very prompt.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭TeresaM

Hi there,
    I'm actually not too sure about the bloods but Neyite has answered that for you :) I am however, attending Galway Fertility Unit and I also didn't wait long at all for my first appt, had it within a few weeks.. that was back in 2009.. And I find that I never have to wait long for an appt. We took a break in Dec '10 and decided to start again in Dec '11 or thereabouts. I rang the clinic and was book into an IVF talk (which we knew was our next move) in January. But she actually offered me one about 2 weeks later! Thankfully we have now finished our first ICSI and are just playing the waiting game..
    I do remember our GP telling us that there was a long wait for appts in Fertility Clinics but I don't think it is as long as we think really..
    The staff are so lovely in Galway, I wish you the very very best of luck with it all and hope that it works really quickly what ever path you chose...
    Of course we are always here for company along the way :) xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies.

Well got reults back yet and my bloods were all ok, his sperm results GP said count and motility were both high and very good but there was some abnormality, though not very bad just some deformation. He didn't say though what exactly the morphology was - from googling the average seems to be about 14 / 15% but that anything above 6 / 8% or so wouldn't affect normal conception - so I don't know where in that he falls. GP said they will look into it and get back to us if necessary.

Did either of your partners have SA done (in GP) and did you get actual figures from them? I'm thinking of ringing back next week and asking what exactly the figures were, but don't know if they normally give those out or not.

It's good news in a way I suppose that there's nothing major wrong, but we just don't know what exactly his morphology is even though GP didn't seem to think it was too serious. Meanwhile I suppose we'll just have to keep trying ourselves! ;)

Advertisement