Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airmount Hospital - location?

Options
  • 30-03-2012 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Hi, can anybody tell me where the location of Airmount Hospital was in the city? Is the building still there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

it was just off dominick place, close to mount sion hurling club. there is respond housing there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

leduke wrote: »
    it was just off dominick place, close to mount sion hurling club. there is respond housing there now.

After I was born, they knew they couldn't get any better. So they knocked it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i was only wondering this the other day, i was told it was here:

http://g.co/maps/pkm74

it was knocked and houses were built there afterwards, my brother was one of the last born there too, about 1992?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Ledger wrote: »
    After I was born, they knew they couldn't get any better. So they knocked it. :pac:

Was it true that people had to be over 18 yrs old to be allowed in to visit you?

Yes, or you could wait for the sister to leave, or get your father to hold you up to thee window to see your brother!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

It closed in 1995. My Daughter was one of the first born in the new Ardkeen unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wsopchamp

jesus my 2 kids were born there,,the youngest in 95.hard to believe its closed over 16yrs now..even harder to believe someone as fresh lookin as myself has 2 kids over 16 :),,,on the other hand, damn im gettin old.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

i remember in 1980 i was only six and my dad lifting me up to the window to see my newborn sister!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Swinng

Ah the baby been brought to the window. Good old days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Fortunately I didn't have mine there but I've heard a lot of stories about the bell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

They must have closed for summer holidays in July 85 as I was born in ardkeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah I always found it mad when I was younger to hear of people who weren't born in Airmount as almost everybody I knew was born there.

Is that thing about not being allowed to visit unless you were over 18 true, yeah? I don't think we got to visit my younger brother when he was born anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ditto, June 85 and born in Ardkeen.

Like nkay said, the look of surprise/confusion when that comes up in conversation always makes me laugh. I said Ardkeen, not the side of the road ffs! :pac:

Airmount didnt close till 1992, ardkeen maternity was open in 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Noelly

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Airmount was definitely open in 93 as I was born there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

says on city council website it offically closed in 1995

mecco wrote: »
    Ditto, June 85 and born in Ardkeen.

Like nkay said, the look of surprise/confusion when that comes up in conversation always makes me laugh. I said Ardkeen, not the side of the road ffs! :pac:

Are you sure it wasn't the side of the road? I think it may have been, to be honest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Nah it closed in 95. Ardkeen was also available for maternity with its new unit opening in the summer of 95.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasn't the side of the road? I think it may have been, to be honest.

Hehe, it could have been but I try to keep that quiet. In my defence, it was a very posh road..kerbs and everything :cool:

mecco wrote: »
    Hehe, it could have been but I try to keep that quiet. In my defence, it was a very posh road..kerbs and everything :cool:

Jaysus you're very fancy altogether.

Actually I'd love a game of kerbs now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement