Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

lisar816 wrote: »
    Need to buy stuff for college soon, what would you need for lectures is there much writing to be done or is it mostly hand outs? Was thinking of getting a A4 notebook and a pocket folder for each subject anything else needed?

I will be doing biology chemistry maths and maths physics

Old timetable still comng up for me.

Maths has a feck tonne of writing. I had a A4 pad for each. Chemistry, well for me was notes based as with Biology. There is a god chunk of people who write the notes in lectures and write little extras! So just have loads of A4 pads to be safe.

Can never remember the building, but there is somewhere where you can nab some freebies!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

marko93 wrote: »
    Maths has a feck tonne of writing. I had a A4 pad for each. Chemistry, well for me was notes based as with Biology. There is a god chunk of people who write the notes in lectures and write little extras! So just have loads of A4 pads to be safe.

Can never remember the building, but there is somewhere where you can nab some freebies!

Were you shoplifting in Easons?? :pac:

TheBody wrote: »
    Were you shoplifting in Easons?? :pac:

YOU SWORE YOU WOULDN'T TELL! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

marko93 wrote: »

Academic Advisory

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Academic Advisory

Thank you kind sir, plan on making the rounds there for some notepads! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

woooooo got offered Maynooth ! so happy! :D now to try and sort out accommodation! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

Join the club , :D

Barster wrote: »
    Join the club , :D

Wooo ! so exciting ! :D have you applied for campus?

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    Wooo ! so exciting ! :D have you applied for campus?

Yeah , seriously banking on it tbh now.. Do you know if commuting distance is taken into account or anything or? .. and also when do we find out? eagerly waiting gotta househunt if not :P

Yeah , seriously banking on it tbh now.. Do you know if commuting distance is taken into account or anything or? .. and also when do we find out? eagerly waiting gotta househunt if not :P

Yup im the same! really want! was talking to a girl before about it and she said it tends to alot of people for Dublin that gets it, so thats me out anyways! :P any idea of places if you dont? dunno when we find out, hopefuly soon though! :)

• Advertisement

so people closer to the college get it? bit unfair , should really be first come first serve IMO , No idea with regards to places tbh , everything I looked at was gone :/ I presume I'll be phoning the residence office quite a bit today :P

so people closer to the college get it? bit unfair , should really be first come first serve IMO , No idea with regards to places tbh , everything I looked at was gone :/ I presume I'll be phoning the residence office quite a bit today :P

Well thats what seemed to be the trend anyways according to her ! :P yup as will I ! :) I wonder what time they open at? 8? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Congrats guys! NUIM is great, you'll love it here! :D

Jeez looking at the points, a lot of stuff went down quite a lot!

Psychology fell from 520-505
    Mathematics fell from 535-485
    Science Ed fell from 500-465

The new Primary Teaching Degree shot to 495 though :eek: The rest of schools offer it in Ireland for 460! Crazy escalation there considering the number of applicants for teaching dropped overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Another new NUIM student here. Doing CSSE. Although i have the advantage of having lived in Maynooth my whole life.

does anybody know where the list of CAO numbers who got campus will be posted? thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Congrats guys! NUIM is great, you'll love it here! :D

Jeez looking at the points, a lot of stuff went down quite a lot!

Psychology fell from 520-505
    Mathematics fell from 535-485
    Science Ed fell from 500-465

The new Primary Teaching Degree shot to 495 though :eek: The rest of schools offer it in Ireland for 460! Crazy escalation there considering the number of applicants for teaching dropped overall!
    Courses page says Arts joint honours is 370. I don't know if that's dropped or gone up, but I wouldn't even have been close to getting into the course with my points, yet I'm a postgrad now. LC points are deceptive in my opinion. People are probably much more sensible these days, but when I did the LC I thought my points were a genuine measure of my academic ability. I couldn't get into most of the university courses available, so for years and years it never even occurred to me that college was something I could do. Very grateful that mature student entry is by different criteria. But it bothers me how arbitrary it all is, since if you screw up your LC you can just wait five years and try without the LC requirements. I sincerely hope school teachers are nowadays telling people there are a few ways to get into college, that the LC isn't the only way, and importantly that you're not an idiot if you screw it up (or hate school so much you never try).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

I got offered Maynooth too! There seems to be A LOT of people from my school going too and some of my good friends. Would this be an advantage or disadvantage? I'm the type of person that wouldn't mind going on ny own and would have the chance to start from scratch with new friends and everything but I feel this is going to kind of prevent me from doing that slightly :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

shawnanana wrote: »
    I got offered Maynooth too! There seems to be A LOT of people from my school going too and some of my good friends. Would this be an advantage or disadvantage? I'm the type of person that wouldn't mind going on ny own and would have the chance to start from scratch with new friends and everything but I feel this is going to kind of prevent me from doing that slightly :/

After the first week you will have made 100's of new friends. Maynooth is a great college with a wonderful friendly atmosphere. You will find plenty of people who share the same interests and opinions as you. You can be whoever you want to be. You won't be held back at all if lots of people are going from your old school.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The Cheesepoo

I'm going into Maynoth too. Computer science and software engineering (Science entry). Fairly exited. Actually really looking forward to it. Have to do a cycle up now in a few minutes to see how far away it is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    Yup im the same! really want! was talking to a girl before about it and she said it tends to alot of people for Dublin that gets it, so thats me out anyways! :P any idea of places if you dont? dunno when we find out, hopefuly soon though! :)

I'm not so sure if that's true. I've certainly never seen that trend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

First off: Congrats to everyone who got their CAO offers into Maynooth today, welcome!

To my actual reason for posting: Does anyone know how much a leap fare from Maynooth to Connolly/Dublin is by any chance? I'm working on the presumption you can use the Leap card, I've not been in Maynooth much since about December =L

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

First off: Congrats to everyone who got their CAO offers into Maynooth today, welcome!

To my actual reason for posting: Does anyone know how much a leap fare from Maynooth to Connolly/Dublin is by any chance? I'm working on the presumption you can use the Leap card, I've not been in Maynooth much since about December =L

You can use a leap and it's €3 or just over - possibly €3.20/€3.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

See you all soon.

MH201 :D

The Biology department should never have released their timetables early, it was such a tease :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gorugeen

Indeed Boeing. It's getting rather annoying at this stage. Mid august me arrse.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

Anyone starting Law? LLB? Going up on my own:/ we're not in until the sixteenth though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Boeing777 wrote: »
    The Biology department should never have released their timetables early, it was such a tease :(
    gorugeen wrote: »
    Indeed Boeing. It's getting rather annoying at this stage. Mid august me arrse.

Just incase anyone is interested I emailed the Psychology department and they told me that the timetable isn't finalised yet, so it could be next week before any timetable is released as I think they all have to release the timetables together! DISASTER :pac:

Just incase anyone is interested I emailed the Psychology department and they told me that the timetable isn't finalised yet, so it could be next week before any timetable is released as I think they all have to release the timetables together! DISASTER :pac:

Ugh :(
    Well why have the biology department released their timetables possibly 2 weeks before everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

daz801 wrote: »
    Another new NUIM student here. Doing CSSE. Although i have the advantage of having lived in Maynooth my whole life.

Locals...woo!!
    shawnanana wrote: »

It's not a disadvantage or advantage! Chances are you will be in different orientation groups and you will be meeting new people from the first few minutes! It's a really exciting couple of days and everyone is on the same page. Chances are you will see people you know around, but don't restrict yourself if that's not what you want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

kellief wrote: »
    Locals...woo!!

Yeah we're the best. All three levels of education within 100m of eachother. Not many people can say that

Advertisement