Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

Omg didnt get campus, went up today and EVERYTHING is gone! :( ended up in a twin room :s

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

Do we get a letter or email from the college for new first years telling us our timetable or anything?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Do we get a letter or email from the college for new first years telling us our timetable or anything?

Once you're registered you'll be able to check your timetable on the timetable page (on my phone so can't link).

You can actually check with your module codes before registration if you have them too.

Once you're registered you'll be able to check your timetable on the timetable page (on my phone so can't link).

You can actually check with your module codes before registration if you have them too.

How do you mean register? Do you remember how many hours you had in first year law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

She means when you go and register as a student, fill in your details, pay your fees, choose your modules. Although, as an llb student, you don't, afaik, have any choice.
    Mcr (and I) did the BCL, not the llb. I had fifteen hours a week in first year, but that was five years ago. I am SO old. :(

Last year, first year llbs had thirteen hours a week, plus tutorials, which I would hazard a guess at one per module per week.
    You can have a look at last year's timetable at nuim.ie/timetable.
    Just select first year llb. Simples.

• Advertisement

How so Joe wrote: »
    She means when you go and register as a student, fill in your details, pay your fees, choose your modules. Although, as an llb student, you don't, afaik, have any choice.
    Mcr (and I) did the BCL, notify the llb. I had fifteen hours a week in first year, but that was five years ago. I am SO old. :(

Last year, first year llbs had thirteen hours a week, plus tutorials, which I would hazard a guess at one per module per week.

Oh sorry, I thought the timetable site was down for the moment! My bad!

Yea, I had sixteen hours in first year!

As always HSJ, you can give a better answer than me! :-)

How so Joe wrote: »
    Mcr (and I) did the BCL, not the llb. I had fifteen hours a week in first year, but that was five years ago. I am SO old. :(

Can you view the whole thing rather than module by module? Sorry for all the questions!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Anyone got a timetable for Law (L.L.B) be nice to see so i could see about work and other things ill need to do. Even a rough idea be great, if not ill learn how to sue your ass.

Cheers folks i

Can you view the whole thing rather than module by module? Sorry for all the questions!:)

You can select a load of modules together by pressing shift or as HSJ said, selecting first year LLB.

Anyone got a timetable for Law (L.L.B) be nice to see so i could see about work and other things ill need to do. Even a rough idea be great, if not ill learn how to sue your ass.

Cheers folks i

You headed for first year LLB too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Cheers folks i

http://www.nuim.ie/courses/?TARGET=QS&MODE=VIEW&QUALIFICATION_CODE=LLBL&YEAR=2014&TARGET_SOURCE=CS

If you go to the above link, and go into Year 1 and click into each subject and there should be last year's timetable. I do think they are the subjects you will be taking this year though, but the times might change.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

daz801 wrote: »
    Another new NUIM student here. Doing CSSE. Although i have the advantage of having lived in Maynooth my whole life.
    I'm going into Maynoth too. Computer science and software engineering (Science entry). Fairly exited. Actually really looking forward to it. Have to do a cycle up now in a few minutes to see how far away it is.

Some advice - start as you mean to go on. It's a hard course and with the 3rd year placement your first and second year grades will be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AshlingM38

Hey everyone!

Got accommodation earlier, just have a quick question for anyone who had accommodation before: are we told who we will be living with or do we just meet them when we arrive to move it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

CSSE09 wrote: »
    Some advice - start as you mean to go on. It's a hard course and with the 3rd year placement your first and second year grades will be important.

First year isn't that difficult, theres a few bumps, but nothing major. Some advice that goes with CSSE09s is to start strong. Also to use the year to further your java/C etc knowledge further. It'll really stand to you!

AshlingM38 wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

Got accommodation earlier, just have a quick question for anyone who had accommodation before: are we told who we will be living with or do we just meet them when we arrive to move it?

You'll only find out when you move in and meet them yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

I just want my repeat results so I can talk myself into finishing this degree =L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

WELCOME NEW PEOPLE I'M JUST GONNA LEAVE THESE THREE THREADS HERE
    aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    Omg didnt get campus, went up today and EVERYTHING is gone! :( ended up in a twin room :s

You'll be fine, I was in a twin room for first year... twas grand

Thwip! wrote: »
    WELCOME NEW PEOPLE I'M JUST GONNA LEAVE THESE THREE THREADS HERE

You'll be fine, I was in a twin room for first year... twas grand

Awh Patrick!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭R_V_P 24

Anyone else starting MH401 finance!? Any students on here that are doing it willing to give an insight to the course!? How many hours a week is first year!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

R_V_P 24 wrote: »
    Anyone else starting MH401 finance!? Any students on here that are doing it willing to give an insight to the course!? How many hours a week is first year!?

Im going into 3rd year of that course... What do you wanna know? The lecture hours are 12 hours plus tutorials . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭R_V_P 24

DylanII wrote: »
    Im going into 3rd year of that course... What do you wanna know? The lecture hours are 12 hours plus tutorials . . .

Hey Dylan,

Thanks for writing back!!....so do you pick three subjects then in first year just like the arts or is there another way, I'm confused about that!! Does most people. Pick business!? How many people's in the average class and what are the lecturers like!? Is there many assignments due throughout the year!?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

R_V_P 24 wrote: »
    Hey Dylan,

Thanks for writing back!!....so do you pick three subjects then in first year just like the arts or is there another way, I'm confused about that!! Does most people. Pick business!? How many people's in the average class and what are the lecturers like!? Is there many assignments due throughout the year!?
    Thanks.

You have two options.

You can stick to just the course that you are doing which is MH401 Finance and Economics. You do not chose anything with this option. All modules are assigned to you.

Your other option is to do a Major/Minor program. Where you Major in Finance and Economics and you minor in another arts subject. In this case in first year you would drop your Maths modules and instead pick an arts subject like business or geography or anything else you like. This other subject would be your minor subject and you would only have two modules from this subject in each semester.

If you chose the pure Finance and Economics course then your whole course is laid out for you for all three years, you do not choose any modules they are all set for the whole class.

If you choose to go the major/minor route then they are all laid out for you in first year (you just pick your other subject) and then in the other years you can choose the modules that you want to study - one or two modules per semester will be compulsory.

There are usually about 2 assignments per module per semester plus any homework type assignments assigned. The class size can range from 500 in JH1 down to 50 in TH or even just 10 people in a tutorial.

All of the lecturers are great in first year. They are all very approachable and understanding if you have an issue. If you feel like you cant go and speak to them just do it, after you do you will feel much better and realise that you can speak to them and most likely have your issue resolved.

I think I've asked this before but can anyone who's deferred in the past answer a few qs for me?
    • I know that I register late and have to do it in person but what happens when it comes to picking modules? Can I only pick the ones that haven't been filled yet?
    • I picked major/minor last year but want to transfer back to double honours this year. Can I do that?
    • When do I hand in the doctor's letter? Do I need anything else to re-register?

I'm sure I'll have more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Debs on the 19th, supposed to be in Maynooth 18th, 19th and 20th :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

The only thing you absolutely have to be there for is registration - if that's not on the 19th you're grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

got my timetable and don't have a week off at halloween omg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Seren_ wrote: »
    got my timetable and don't have a week off at halloween omg

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FKX/0YTK/FB7FYD1U/FKX0YTKFB7FYD1U.LARGE.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I think I've asked this before but can anyone who's deferred in the past answer a few qs for me?
    • I know that I register late and have to do it in person but what happens when it comes to picking modules? Can I only pick the ones that haven't been filled yet?
    • I picked major/minor last year but want to transfer back to double honours this year. Can I do that?
    • When do I hand in the doctor's letter? Do I need anything else to re-register?

I'm sure I'll have more!

Eek :eek: I deferred last year but didn't realise I'd have to do anything differently going back... Better get on to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I'm sure I'll have more!

They sent me a letter telling me what to do come september but I seem to have misplaced it and cant recall what it said :(

• Advertisement

aaabbbb wrote: »
    They sent me a letter telling me what to do come september but I seem to have misplaced it and cant recall what it said :(

How come you got a letter and I didn't? :-(

Advertisement