Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

How come you got a letter and I didn't? :-(

Dunno ? 'cos I'm special :P

No seriously I've no idea it came out of nowhere and was in like april / may was a bit random tbh

But to answer your question re modules since you're registering late. Last year when I was repeating (the first time :rolleyes: ) I had a similar issue with tutorials as in all the ones that suited me would be gone by the time I could register so I contacted the dept and they kept me a place until I registered. Maybe you could try the same with your modules if you explain the situation ? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Dunno ? 'cos I'm special :P

No seriously I've no idea it came out of nowhere and was in like april / may was a bit random tbh

But to answer your question re modules since you're registering late. Last year when I was repeating (the first time :rolleyes: ) I had a similar issue with tutorials as in all the ones that suited me would be gone by the time I could register so I contacted the dept and they kept me a place until I registered. Maybe you could try the same with your modules if you explain the situation ? :)

Think I may just do that!

Think I may just do that!

I'd say you should , it's worth a try anyway !

Speaking of modules anyone ever do any of the extra language modules or evening classes in the language centre ?

What were they like if you did ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I think I've asked this before but can anyone who's deferred in the past answer a few qs for me?
    • I know that I register late and have to do it in person but what happens when it comes to picking modules? Can I only pick the ones that haven't been filled yet?
    • I picked major/minor last year but want to transfer back to double honours this year. Can I do that?
    • When do I hand in the doctor's letter? Do I need anything else to re-register?

I'm sure I'll have more!

1. Prob best to get in touch with your departments to let them know you'll be registering late - I'd say there's no issue with it though.

2. No idea about this. Academic advisory might know? or your department

3. Think you give it in to student records? I can't remember for definite though.

Any other questions about it, fire away!

Also it's a good idea to be there to register a bit early because it will be very busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

Anyone in Rye?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Guys I've a question. My friend as a mature student has an interview for a course in a private college. Does anyone know what sort of questions can she expect to get asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Paczini wrote: »
    Guys I've a question. My friend as a mature student has an interview for a course in a private college. Does anyone know what sort of questions can she expect to get asked?

I'd imagine why she wants to do the course would be one of the first ones!

I'd imagine why she wants to do the course would be one of the first ones!
    Thats what I told her but I still promised to ask around. Hopefully someone had this kind of interview before

Speaking of modules anyone ever do any of the extra language modules or evening classes in the language centre ?

What were they like if you did ?
    2 of my friends did Spanish in first semester.. both got over 50% in the exam and attended 80% of classes.. still, no sign of money back

• Advertisement

2 of my friends did Spanish in first semester.. both got over 50% in the exam and attended 80% of classes.. still, no sign of money back

Hummmm....

Do you know if they found the classes any good regardless ?

Hummmm....

Do you know if they found the classes any good regardless ?
    I didnt ask much but from what I can assume they did learn something as they both got over 50% in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I didnt ask much but from what I can assume they did learn something as they both got over 50% in the exam.

Can you take a language even if you're course doesn't allow you to pick electives?

Can you take a language even if you're course doesn't allow you to pick electives?

http://www.nuim.ie/language/undergrad/ExtraModules-Info.shtml

Theres this too : http://www.nuim.ie/courses/codebase/nuim_mocd_current.pdf

How do I know if I can do electives? I'm doing law, also is it possible to take electives in say psychology or philosophy?

How do I know if I can do electives? I'm doing law, also is it possible to take electives in say psychology or philosophy?
    Are you doing LLB? As far as I know there's no choice in your modules and I don't know anyone who actually did modules from other subjects (except for the evening language course)

Are you doing LLB? As far as I know there's no choice in your modules and I don't know anyone who actually did modules from other subjects (except for the evening language course)

Yep! Aw man, oh well, maybe ill be too busy anyway!

Yep! Aw man, oh well, maybe ill be too busy anyway!
    Unless you're planning to do a lot of individual study you wont. 2 years ago when LLB started people had Mondays and Thursdays off.. It could have changed by now but I honestly doubt it

Unless you're planning to do a lot of individual study you wont. 2 years ago when LLB started people had Mondays and Thursdays off.. It could have changed by now but I honestly doubt it

Are you serious?! I'm making the trip from cork so I can't go home or anything, what am I gonna do with myself? I'm going alone as well, I won't know a soul :/

Are you serious?! I'm making the trip from cork so I can't go home or anything, what am I gonna do with myself? I'm going alone as well, I won't know a soul :/
    I just checked last years timetable out of curiosity. They changed it a lot! They didnt have a day off unfortunately but you can never know what will happen this year. You will only have 12hours + tutorial/s though. Thats good, when I was in First year I had about 14-15 hours a week (I'm doing Law and Arts)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Don't worry - it won't be long until you've made some friends to hang out with! I knew nobody when I started in Maynooth and I made a great group of friends very early on. Loads of people head to college without knowing anyone so everyone tends to be eager to make friends. I was very quiet when I started first year so don't worry about it from that perspective if you happen to be a quiet person.

Clubs and socs are also a good way to pass the time. And internet ¬__¬

I suppose you could always study either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Timetables should be released next week according to GoMaynooth on twitter.

(You were right, PictureFrame :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AshlingM38

Quick question for anyone on campus...

What day are you thinking about moving in on? Before orientation? I don't want to be the first in my apartment but I don't want to be last either :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

AshlingM38 wrote: »
    Quick question for anyone on campus...

What day are you thinking about moving in on? Before orientation? I don't want to be the first in my apartment but I don't want to be last either :rolleyes:

Well Ill need to move in either the day before or first day of orientation because I wouldnt be able to travel all up and down the 2 days in a row.
    So Im hoping either the Sunday evening or the Monday morning! Although Id probably like to come back down after those 2 days and move up fully at the weekend, not really sure of what im doing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 snoopyscat

Just throwing this out there -- how do students feel about living in a family home. I have a spare room and there is just me and a 9 year old here.... Have an option of double/twin room or a single room.

Obviously being in a family home rules out parties but would include meals & bills. House would be in Celbridge which is on direct bus route. Does that generally appeal to students or would I be wasting my time advertising it

deise_girl wrote: »
    Well Ill need to move in either the day before or first day of orientation because I wouldnt be able to travel all up and down the 2 days in a row.
    So Im hoping either the Sunday evening or the Monday morning! Although Id probably like to come back down after those 2 days and move up fully at the weekend, not really sure of what im doing yet

Yeah I was thinking of doing the same, maybe going up the day before orientation, staying there for orientation and then coming back home and moving in the weekend before lectures start. A few of my friends are doing the same so maybe that's what a lot are planning on doing.

Yeah I was thinking of doing the same, maybe going up the day before orientation, staying there for orientation and then coming back home and moving in the weekend before lectures start. A few of my friends are doing the same so maybe that's what a lot are planning on doing.

I think ill move up the Sunday but come back on Wednesday before heading up the following Sunday before lectures start! What campus accomodation did ye two get?

I think ill move up the Sunday but come back on Wednesday before heading up the following Sunday before lectures start! What campus accomodation did ye two get?

I think I'll probably do something similar. Single in River, you?

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Timetables should be released next week according to GoMaynooth on twitter.

(You were right, PictureFrame :pac:)
    Next week meaning 26August-1 September? Since when that's mid-August?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Yea that was basically my plan and Im hoping others follow suit!
    Where are you travelling from? :)

Advertisement