Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

I don't think the biology department has updated their course list on the site. I can't pick which modules I want now, and so have an incomplete timetable >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

What's this.. A 9am? Haven't had one of those for a while. Last two semesters I didn't have a single class before 12. Saying that I have fridays off though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I don't think the biology department has updated their course list on the site. I can't pick which modules I want now, and so have an incomplete timetable >_<

I had that problem with one of the optional history modules too.

Paczini wrote: »
    Knowing me I will just sit in the arts block doing nothing and cursing the gaps. I would prefer to have 4 hours in a row and be free for the rest of the time
    I'm a type of person that prefers to get the lectures over with and stay back after college till late to do stuff but sometimes I do use them to do assignments etc..

Stay positive and you never know! Final year changes people! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Stay positive and you never know! Final year changes people! :-)

In saying that, I really hope Second Year changes me. DO not want another repeat as long as I'm in College.

• Advertisement

I had that problem with one of the optional history modules too.

Nope. My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Completely changing the subject, went for a cycle there and the bearings fell out of the pedals!! Looks like I need to invest in a new bike. Worst part was the LONG walk home!!

TheBody wrote: »
    Completely changing the subject, went for a cycle there and the bearings fell out of the pedals!! Looks like I need to invest in a new bike. Worst part was the LONG walk home!!

There ya are! :P

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_888023_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

or

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_912131_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

That'd suck. That's why I worry about going on long cycles. IF a wheel pops or something else goes FUBAR. Walking home would be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Anyone know if its worthwhile holding onto Essential Calculus for second year CSSE? It looks like we have a calculus module.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Planemo wrote: »
    I was talking to a demonstrator during labs after the xmas exams and he said that was the hardest module he ever took!

I guarantee you he was lying :pac:

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Anyone know if its worthwhile holding onto Essential Calculus for second year CSSE? It looks like we have a calculus module.

It is worthwhile PROVIDED you use it!!

marko93 wrote: »

Thanks for that Mark. The second one looks cheap and cheerful. Might do a bit of shopping for one tomorrow .

Thanks for that Mark. The second one looks cheap and cheerful. Might do a bit of shopping for one tomorrow .

Avoid Dual Suspension MB unless you're actually going to take to MBing. In which case cheap and cheerful will not suffice.

Commuters/Hybrids are more than enough, but for that extra bitta speed Road Bikes are lovely! Got one myself last week and love it.

Saddle came off mine last week, because the bolt snapped.

Back to timetables, I have mine sorted. Only one 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

marko93 wrote: »
    Cheers!

So looking like 10 hours of labs in first semester ;____; Wonder would I be able to organise it to have the Wednesday off :3

Unless things change you'll have Wednesdays off http://www.cs.nuim.ie/node/266
    Make sure and get a good maths tutorial time though.
    Just remembered you might actually get assigned a tutorial with the rest of your class and have no choice when that's on.

First semester is much kinder timetable wise than second semester so enjoy the day off.

So any info about chemistry labs in 3rd year?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

First year EEng here, anyone know which of these differing timetables to trust?

This one's from the Engineering dept. part of the website, and this one is just from nuim.ie/timetable.

Either way, Engineering looks like great craic! :P Plenty of 9-5 days, just as I like 'em. I knew what I was getting myself into. God help anyone who didn't!

CSSE09 wrote: »
    Unless things change you'll have Wednesdays off http://www.cs.nuim.ie/node/266
    Make sure and get a good maths tutorial time though.
    Just remembered you might actually get assigned a tutorial with the rest of your class and have no choice when that's on.

First semester is much kinder timetable wise than second semester so enjoy the day off.

A DAY OFF? D: BEST NEWS EVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

So any info about chemistry labs in 3rd year?

Think they are running three slots this year cause there's bundles of ye. Dunno when.

Also, seems like a good time to ask; Any of you do the literature project in final year biology?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Damaged my laptop's headphone jack....**** MY LIFE

Phone just fell into the sink as the tap was running. I'm still trying to get my heart down to a normal rhythm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

GAH AND MY REALTEK DOESNT COME WITH THE OPTION TO RETASK MY MIC CONNECTOR FOR HEADPHONES......BALLS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Thwip! wrote: »
    GAH AND MY REALTEK DOESNT COME WITH THE OPTION TO RETASK MY MIC CONNECTOR FOR HEADPHONES......BALLS

If you've Bluetooth built into your laptop, you can get Wireless Headphones for about 30€ in Carphone Warehouse and/or eBay?
    :D

Thwip! wrote: »

Problem solved.
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ele-dac

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭spartacus815

Also, seems like a good time to ask; Any of you do the literature project in final year biology?

Yes Mr Fire. You should do it if you are not a fan of laboratory work.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

Can anyone give me info on the biological and biomedical course? like what are the hours like and is it tough?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭spartacus815

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me info on the biological and biomedical course? like what are the hours like and is it tough?

Finished the programme. I have really enjoyed it. Some of the modules are really interesting, especially the Immunology ones (Im an immuno nerd tongue.png) and you will get a real deep appreciation for biology. Just be aware... Biochemistry can be hard, since I didn't study chemistry for the LC and I haven't studied chemistry here at all. But, just go to lectures, take notes, do all your assignments and u will be grand. The hours are fairly good (u will have a fair amount of free time biggrin.png) and u do extra modules in Biology that aren't open to other people who do biology through general science. If there's anything more specific you want to know, just ask smile.png (BTW, I posted this in the biomed thread, which you followed :P )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

aoifemcg94 wrote: »

Its hard but not impossible once you keep on top of the work for first year anyway. You'll have a dissertation to do in semester 1, a math assignment every week and depending what you pick either a physics/chemistry write up weekly too. At the start of bio labs you'll have a test on what you learnt the previous week and regular mcq's on what you've been doing overall in lectures etc. Labs last between 2-3 hours depending on if its a workshop or not , they're mostly 2 hours long though. Same goes for chemistry. You'll have one lab for bio and one for chemistry/physics etc a week. Theres also a chemistry tutorial every second week.

Hours wise its about 15-20 hours a week depending on the subjects you choose really.

Any other questions just ask ! :)

Advertisement