Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Any word on how the USI special congress in UCD went today? Have blocked myself off twitter and facebook, and locked myself away in the library so heard nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Any word on how the USI special congress in UCD went today? Have blocked myself off twitter and facebook, and locked myself away in the library so heard nothing about it.
    100% exchequer funded won out.
    If you're not after blocking University Times for yourself, you could check that.

Will do. Am kinda surprised with the result, I didn't think that would be the choice in the current climate.

I was surprised too, but idealism appears to be the sentiment of the day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Christ almighty, people have actually voted that USI's stance should be that, in perhaps the toughest times of austerity the state has faced, the government should drop the €2,000 reg fee and charge students nothing. Delusional doesn't even begin to describe it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

In my opinion, 100% exchequer funding was the right choice as it allows for USI to have greater leeway when it comes to lobbying. Obviously it's not feasible for third level education to be fully funded by the government right now (I don't think anyone actually thinks it is), but the USI should fight for the best possible deal for students. It's easier for two sides to meet in the middle, than for one to jump instantly to the middle to please the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

What do you expect if you give students a choice?
    It's like asking a hungry person if they would like some food.
    Plus, it's not going to mean much in the end if it's an impracticality.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

In my opinion, 100% exchequer funding was the right choice as it allows for USI to have greater leeway when it comes to lobbying. Obviously it's not feasible for third level education to be fully funded by the government right now (I don't think anyone actually thinks it is), but the USI should fight for the best possible deal for students. It's easier for two sides to meet in the middle, than for one to jump instantly to the middle to please the other.

Best deal for students, who cares about the rest of the country right? :rolleyes:

True, it does give USI greater leeway when lobbying in the future but the headlines in the papers will read something like "Students vote for 100% exchequer funded third level education" and I would be afraid that it would lead to a backlash against students due to the fact that it's unfeasable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

HEA saying they want fees reintroduced. Looks like certain people's wishes are about to come true.

• Advertisement

Today's article: Link

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Question - If I want to transfer from a omnibus program to denominated but I failed a module in a certain subject, will my application be approved on the condition that I pass the repeat or will I get refused outright?

Question - If I want to transfer from a omnibus program to denominated but I failed a module in a certain subject, will my application be approved on the condition that I pass the repeat or will I get refused outright?

Depends on the subject. Say for example you wanted to transfer from General Science into Science Education (only example I know 100%). Then provided the subject wasn't one of the two sciences you planned on keeping into second year onward, you should be fine with 35% or above. I'd imagine it's much the same in other courses. If you need to repeat a subject that you planned on keeping, it's down to the course head to decide (as it is otherwise, but approval usually happens once you have the grades).

Hope everyones enjoying the lovely weather! I'm currently sitting in the garden painting my nails and listening to Prince :pac:

Hope everyones enjoying the lovely weather! I'm currently sitting in the garden painting my nails and listening to Prince :pac:
    I know I am. Instead of writing or researching my thesis, I went and got ice cream and ate it while relaxing around Manor Mills.

I've done nothing of productive value since Monday when I finished Calculus. It's great :pac:

How so Joe wrote: »
    I know I am. Instead of writing or researching my thesis, I went and got ice cream and ate it while relaxing around Manor Mills.

Scooples? Theu do the most amazing millshakes!

Skype can be so annoying sometimes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Does anyone know who to contact on campus to report instances of bullying?

girlonfire wrote: »
    Does anyone know who to contact on campus to report instances of bullying?

I assume it was by a fellow student? Either way, get in touch with Fiach.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I didn't elaborate there. Yep, it's a fellow student. I'll get in touch with Fiach. Thank you:)

Yes. Their milkshakes ARE amazing. And the Mister Scooples Man is very nice and has an adorably cute baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Is this Scooples place in Maynooth somewhere? I feel like I'm missing out on something good :pac:

Yep. It's in Manor Mills, next to the escalators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Ah yeah, sure I practically spent the whole day there waiting for my interview to get into BMus! Love that place :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

girlonfire wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't elaborate there. Yep, it's a fellow student. I'll get in touch with Fiach. Thank you:)

Hope that works out for you, as there's nothing worse than bullying in an educational setting.

Hope that works out for you, as there's nothing worse than bullying in an educational setting.

Thanks. I hope so too. It's really unpleasant and I dread the thought of dealing with it for much longer.

Me and AuronGroove got icecream there yesterday! Well he got sorbet, and I splashed out and got the hot fudge sundae...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Hot chocolate from the machine in ARTS block, oh how I've missed thee. Nice to be back, borderline bittersweet, but nice. Four years of research, let's be having you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Hot chocolate from the machine in ARTS block, oh how I've missed thee.

AKA Thesis fuel. I think I would have dehydrated in the ART'S PACR only for that stuff.

Advertisement