Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I must have been in the full half.

Also, I have a lecture in APT tomorrow. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I must have been in the full half.

Also, I have a lecture in APT tomorrow. :(

Theres two timetables, one says JH4 and the other says APT, there's a question on moodle about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Where or what is ax1?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Where or what is ax1?

Auxillia 1. Is in the same building as the sociology dept.

I had problems finding AX1 on Tuesday.

Also, APT looks small to me, so maybe the lecture is split between 2 venues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

deise_girl wrote: »
    Yea its really insane the difference like.. Everythings mad and even in lectures and stuff Im just like wow we're actually learning things I need to study but when am I gonna study it |:

Also how do I submit work using moodle?? :confused:

It takes a while to get used to the way things are, especially when you're coming straight from a structured environment like school. If you're finding it very tough, go and have a chat with your course coordinator or academic advisory/counselling/chaplaincy/access office - it helps to get an outside perspective and they can give you some tips. And you are definitely not the only person feeling like this, I can guarantee you that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Once the societies and clubs start up next week do they work during the day also or is it just an evening thing? Feel like I am missing out on so much by commuting. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Karmaa

Lectures continue throughout the day, the societies and clubs will be there all day too so you won't miss out unless you have a full day of lectures :D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

andrew369 wrote: »
    Once the societies and clubs start up next week do they work during the day also or is it just an evening thing? Feel like I am missing out on so much by commuting. :/

Some societies are commuter friendly, some aren't. The Biology soc for example hold all their meetings and events in the evenings so I could never make any of them. How long is your commute and where are you commuting from?

I managed to find CSSR! It's the Computer Science Seminar Room and is across from the bathrooms in Callan Building. The door has a code lock on it but is open.

• Advertisement

I can get onto NUIMWireless if I use Mozilla first. I guess asking for the eduroam password is out of the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Its your student number and password.

I tried that on Thursday and it didn't work, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

:( Only back in since Monday after a two year absence due to severe health issues and I have already missed two and a bit days due to illness again. I really want to succeed this year as I have put so much time and effort into preparing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

:( Only back in since Monday after a two year absence due to severe health issues and I have already missed two and a bit days due to illness again. I really want to succeed this year as I have put so much time and effort into preparing.

It's early days. Keep the head up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Thanks, for some reason only half my post posted, other thing I wanted to ask was I have missed the repeat registration today and was wondering can I still register on Monday of next week, forgot to go into them yesterday to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Some societies are commuter friendly, some aren't. The Biology soc for example hold all their meetings and events in the evenings so I could never make any of them. How long is your commute and where are you commuting from?

From Clondalkin takes about 40 minutes on the bus. In a bit before 9am and then it leaves at 3pm and 6pm. Getting Dublin Bus or the train home is pretty tough though since there is no straight forward link to Clondalkin. Good that a few will be commuter friendly at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Thanks, for some reason only half my post posted, other thing I wanted to ask was I have missed the repeat registration today and was wondering can I still register on Monday of next week, forgot to go into them yesterday to ask.

Best thing to do is give them a ring! I'm not too sure but I'm sure they would accomodate you! PS don't panic yet, you'll get there! x

I deferred last year and am back this year for similar reasons so I understand how you feel. It's tough returning and it's hitting me pretty hard. If you want someone to rant to feel free to PM me. The counseling service and Rose in academic advisory are also brilliant.

Keep smiling. And remember, it is only week one! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kragenmore

anyone know for definite what the construction is on north campus? more parking??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Hope everyone had a decent first week back in college?
    Mine was weird. Starting a new degree feels weird. My ID card looks different. But I love this place and am delighted I could continue.

Commuting hasn't stopped sucking, of course.
    kragenmore wrote: »
    anyone know for definite what the construction is on north campus? more parking??
    Thought I heard a rumour of a new building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

There are two new building being built and another somewhere else on campus soon.

The two that are there are Computer Science and Education I believe ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

A new Computer Centre is being built in that space beside the engineering building. After they have that built they will get to work on an Education Building.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

andrew369 wrote: »
    From Clondalkin takes about 40 minutes on the bus. In a bit before 9am and then it leaves at 3pm and 6pm. Getting Dublin Bus or the train home is pretty tough though since there is no straight forward link to Clondalkin. Good that a few will be commuter friendly at least.

Yeah those times are the exact same as me only I'm commuting from Meath. Commuter buddies? :pac:

I have a timetable clash that is now unavoidable. My bus leaves at 4 on a Friday but my lecture doesn't finish until 5. It's a 100% CA module so I really can't afford to miss it plus it deals with a very important part of my course that I need to be there for. I now have to look at other transport options for getting home on a Friday. More money to be spent :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

After 3 years struggling through science, it feels great to be starting PPE. Already enjoying it more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Same here, I've been out of college for four years and although I had the best of intentions for the week, I couldn't make it for lectures at all today. One day at a time and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

Same here, I've been out of college for four years and although I had the best of intentions for the week, I couldn't make it for lectures at all today. One day at a time and all that.

Keep in contact with your lecturers and let them know what is going on; talk to the administrative staff in your department when needed (get to know them well as they can really look after you and make your life so much easier); and if needed, talk to Rose or someone in the counselling department if you really start to struggle and get behind. Whatever you do, don't just disappear or start to get overwhelmed and think that because you've missed X number of classes, it's hopeless or there's no point going back in that week. They really want everyone to succeed and will work with students as much as they can so long as they know what is going on and you keep trying. It's easy to feel overwhelmed and start to panic when you're facing issues like this, but the main thing is to keep in contact and use the supports that are there.

A lot of times students don't realise how much help is available to them or are afraid to ask for it or communicate what is happening with them. If you don't say anything and just miss a load of lectures, there will be a limited amount anyone can do, but if you start to struggle - for whatever reason - and go talk to your lecturers, someone in the department, Rose, or anyone else who might be able to help for whatever the problem is, then you'll find there is a lot that can be done, and they'll really try hard to help you out. Remember that they want you to succeed and take it one day at a time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Yeah, you can register Monday and Tuesday for repeat years.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Anyone know of somewhere I can take Italian classes? Going to Italy to meet the girlfriends family in December and she's the only one who speaks English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Anyone know of somewhere I can take Italian classes? Going to Italy to meet the girlfriends family in December and she's the only one who speaks English.

Think the language centre run classes. See here:

http://www.nuim.ie/language/evening/index.shtml

Advertisement