Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Anyone know of somewhere I can take Italian classes? Going to Italy to meet the girlfriends family in December and she's the only one who speaks English.

Think the language center do them as part of the IWLP for extra credit onto your degree , not 100% sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Dammit, Thursday was the only day I could catch a bus at 10am so I could get some decent sleep...and now I have a MT201S tutorial at that time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Dammit, Thursday was the only day I could catch a bus at 10am so I could get some decent sleep...and now I have a MT201S tutorial at that time. :(

We have Wednesdays off though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

My sleeping pattern has been ****ed up by GTA V. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

marko93 wrote: »
    We have Wednesdays off though? free to study?

FYP :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Would anyone know the best way to get from Maynooth to Drogheda (I'll settle for that) on a Friday evening, not including Finlay coaches which I already get. My bus goes at 4 on a Friday but I'm not finished until 5. I've been looking at the train but there's no train going direct to Drogheda. Is there a handier way that I'm missing? Cheers :)

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Would anyone know the best way to get from Maynooth to Drogheda (I'll settle for that) on a Friday evening, not including Finlay coaches which I already get. My bus goes at 4 on a Friday but I'm not finished until 5. I've been looking at the train but there's no train going direct to Drogheda. Is there a handier way that I'm missing? Cheers :)

Only option really is two buses , trains etc. Otherwise you could try see if you could sort out a lift.

Theres a bus from maynooth that goes to the airport and then theres a bus from the airport that goes to drogheda

or theres the myriad of busses from town that go to drogheda for commuters but that would require you getting into town on the train first.

AFAIK your best option would be to get the train or a lift if you can.

As the train usually gets into connolly on platform 5 or 6 from Maynooth and the ones for Drogheda usually leave from 6/7 (or 3/4 if there the express ones ) so its only ever a short walk to wherever your train will be and they'll be fairly frequent around that time too. Only downside is it'll be rush hour around then so the trains could be quite packed coming from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Train from Maynooth to Connolly and then a train to Drogheda. Would be a long enough journey

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Train from Maynooth to Connolly and then a train to Drogheda. Would be a long enough journey

Yeah it'd be about 2 hours :(

Yeah I was looking at the train via Connolly alright and it is quite long alright :( I was looking at the possibility of getting a train to Drumcondra and then a bus to Drogheda but that will be quite long as well. Either way I think it's going to take me a while regardless. I don't know anyone with a car that could give me a lift but I'll definitely look into it as best I can. Thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

On a Friday evening I usually get the train to Drumcondra and the Matthews coach from there to Drogheda. It doesn't matter whether you do that or get two trains or two buses, it's always going to be minimum two hours. Three if you pick the wrong train or there's a serious delay. The Drumcondra/Matthews option costs about 8.25 ish one way, which is far better than two trains since the train cost from Dublin to Drogheda is disgusting.

When I include the time taken to get from the bus stop to my house, the quickest I can get home on a Friday is about two and a half hours.

mickstupp wrote: »
    On a Friday evening I usually get the train to Drumcondra and the Matthews coach from there to Drogheda. It doesn't matter whether you do that or get two trains or two buses, it's always going to be minimum two hours. Three if you pick the wrong train or there's a serious delay. The Drumcondra/Matthews option costs about 8.25 ish one way, which is far better than two trains since the train cost from Dublin to Drogheda is disgusting.

When I include the time taken to get from the bus stop to my house, the quickest I can get home on a Friday is about two and a half hours.

Great, thanks very much for that. I think I'll have to opt for the Drumcondra/Matthews if I can't secure a lift with somebody. Does the Matthews bus go from the train station or is there a bit of walking involved? I know next to nothing about Dublin city :pac:

Great, thanks very much for that. I think I'll have to opt for the Drumcondra/Matthews if I can't secure a lift with somebody. Does the Matthews bus go from the train station or is there a bit of walking involved? I know next to nothing about Dublin city :pac:
    The bus stop is literally outside the door of the train station. They generally arrive there at five past the hour and twenty five to, so choose trains from Maynooth so that you're not waiting around for 45 minutes.

Only issue you might have is that only the Bettystown Matthews bus takes the Leapcard. The others do take your student card, but to make it cost effective you might want to go for a ten journey, 55 squids I think. Singles are, as on almost every other service, a rip off. But even if you just get a return ticket, you can use that return any time in the next two years. Don't get a single.

The bus stop is literally outside the door of the train station. They generally arrive there at five past the hour and twenty five to, so choose trains from Maynooth so that you're not waiting around for 45 minutes.

Only issue you might have is that only the Bettystown Matthews bus takes the Leapcard. The others do take your student card, but to make it cost effective you might want to go for a ten journey, 55 squids I think. Singles are, as on almost every other service, a rip off. But even if you just get a return ticket, you can use that return any time in the next two years. Don't get a single.

Right ok. This may be a silly question, but I will only be using this service on a Friday evening so will a return ticket allow me to just go from Drumcondra-Drogheda every week or will I need to make a Drogheda-Drumcondra to use up the return ticket? (I hope that question isn't too awkwardly phrased :o)

Right ok. This may be a silly question, but I will only be using this service on a Friday evening so will a return ticket allow me to just go from Drumcondra-Drogheda every week or will I need to make a Drogheda-Drumcondra to use up the return ticket? (I hope that question isn't too awkwardly phrased :o)
    No no it's journeys that count, not the direction. If you get a return from Drumcondra, there's no reason you can't just use that second journey the following Friday for the same Drumcondra to Drogheda.

Or at least that's how they used to do it. Me and my sister used to share the same ten journey ticket, bus driver would just punch it twice. I don't think they mind in that company. Certainly not like the train baboons. Those sods used to charge a three day return price for a day return if you were getting it on a Friday. Probably even worse nowadays.

To be sure though, you should send them an email and ask. I'm used to the Bettystown bus, might be slightly different on the Drogheda/Dundalk routes. The Matthews coaches also have wifi... I wish the Finlay's coaches had wifi. Just being able to check mail/twitter/boards/etc. makes the time go a bit quicker.

No no it's journeys that count, not the direction. If you get a return from Drumcondra, there's no reason you can't just use that second journey the following Friday for the same Drumcondra to Drogheda.

Or at least that's how they used to do it. Me and my sister used to share the same ten journey ticket, bus driver would just punch it twice. I don't think they mind in that company. Certainly not like the train baboons. Those sods used to charge a three day return price for a day return if you were getting it on a Friday. Probably even worse nowadays.

To be sure though, you should send them an email and ask. I'm used to the Bettystown bus, might be slightly different on the Drogheda/Dundalk routes.

Ok grand, thanks very much for your help! :)

No problem.

But I hope you find someone for a lift. 1 hour in a car is obviously better than 2.5 or 3 by our country's glorious public transport system.

No problem.

But I hope you find someone for a lift. 1 hour in a car is obviously better than 2.5 or 3 by our country's glorious public transport system.

Yeah it would be great alright. Maynooth is only bloody 30-40 minutes from where I live :eek: It makes me so mad to think how long it's going to take me to get home :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Yeah it would be great alright. Maynooth is only bloody 30-40 minutes from where I live :eek: It makes me so mad to think how long it's going to take me to get home :mad:

I'm exactly the same. It's crazy!

I'm exactly the same. It's crazy!

Me too :( , though I drive in now so all I've to complain about is the bloody traffic on the M50 making me leave 30mins earlier than necessary and the parking issues the college has like no spaces after 10am !?!?!

Maybe try sites like carshare.ie and the likes for a lift ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

DylanII wrote: »
    There are two new building being built and another somewhere else on campus soon.

The two that are there are Computer Science and Education I believe ...
    A new Computer Centre is being built in that space beside the engineering building. After they have that built they will get to work on an Education Building.

The new building is the ICT Building,
    The ICT Building is set to contain the IVI, Hamilton Institute, Callan Institute, Business Incubation Centre, the Department of Computer Science, the Computer Centre and several teaching spaces.
    according to the student standard

Work on the Education Building will start next year I'd say, the tender finished a few weeks ago (linky linky)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Where can you print in the art's block? could not find it today ended up going to the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Karmaa

You can print from the computer room in the arts block also I think the printing press is up and running now over in the SU building :)

Karmaa wrote: »
    You can print from the computer room in the arts block :)
    oh right were is that? is it down by the carrers?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Karmaa

lisar816 wrote: »
    oh right were is that? is it down by the carrers?

Where the computers are in the hallway of arts block it's down that corridor to the right, towards dept of Irish and Celtic studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

First classes tomorrow! A week into term haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Hello,
    I don't know if I imagined this but I think I got an email about a new room in the arts block being open for mature students and commuters?
    I am both of these things and would like to know more?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

javagal wrote: »
    Hello,
    I don't know if I imagined this but I think I got an email about a new room in the arts block being open for mature students and commuters?
    I am both of these things and would like to know more?

Thanks!

The Bunker in the Arts Block annex is open, if you go down the corridor beside Bewleys it is at the end on the left. Only plastic seats in there at the moment, they still have to get couches and sort out hot water. Only the bare bones there at the minute.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

This is going to sound really ridiculous (Like most things Ive asked here..) but how do you go about printing? Like I know theres plenty places to do it but like, can you print off the web or do you bring your memory stick? And then how do you pay for it, do you have to top up your student card? And how much does it cost?

Sorry, I really should figure these thigns out for myself but Im too scared of making a fool outta myself :o

• Advertisement

The Bunker in the Arts Block annex is open, if you go down the corridor beside Bewleys it is at the end on the left. Only plastic seats in there at the moment, they still have to get couches and sort out hot water. Only the bare bones there at the minute.
    So is the mature students room in the su gone then?

Advertisement