Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

andrew369 wrote: »
    1500 word essay on the Philosophy of Socrates, 1500 word essay on crack dealers in East Harlem and 800 word presentation on the Kant's Categorical Imperative, plus a ton of reading for after Halloween. Sh*t just got real.
    the philosophy essay isn't until after the break, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

1500 word essay on the Philosophy of Socrates, 1500 word essay on crack dealers in East Harlem and 800 word presentation on the Kant's Categorical Imperative, plus a ton of reading for after Halloween. Sh*t just got real.

I had two Biology lab reports to write up this weekend and combined they added up to 1300 words and I considered myself skimping on most of it :eek:. If I can get that much words, you can do it too!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

2500 for Wed. Feck off would yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

The joys of CSSE and it's lack of essays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

*puts feet up, smiles smugly about external repeats*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Planemo wrote: »
    LOL sounds like a laugh - you can listen to Big L and Tupac "for research" :P

LMAO the course book is possibly the most awkward book I have ever read. Nothing like sitting in Costa worrying that anyone looking over my shoulder will see me reading about gang rape and murder. :p
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    the philosophy essay isn't until after the break, right?

Yeah the Introduction essay is for November 5th and the Ethics essay is for December 2nd, which is good considering we haven't even covered all the questions yet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

marko93 wrote: »
    The joys of CSSE and it's lack of essays

And then you get dragged back down with Computer Architecture. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

And then you get dragged back down with Computer Architecture. :(

Possibly the most tedious uninteresting module I'll ever take part in. Shame the lecture is a nice lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

*Makes note to drop back in here next semester when all the Philosophy people start doing logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

marko93 wrote: »
    Possibly the most tedious uninteresting module I'll ever take part in. Shame the lecture is a nice lad.
    My ex had to repeat this exam 5 times before he actually passed it (it was in another college)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Does that mean she repeated the year twice just for that class ?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    *Makes note to drop back in here next semester when all the Philosophy people start doing logic.

Oh sweet zombie jesus what should I expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

You might fail or you could get very close to 100%. All depends on how much practice you're willing to do, how much work on your own time. I highly recommend using the past papers as practice, time yourself with those as the exam time goes quicker than you'd expect. Whatever about the continuous assessment, it's entirely possible to get literally 100% in the exam. Or it used to be.

If the lecturer isn't explaining things well enough for you, I found this book really helpful, working through all the exercises in the relevant chapters, I covered basically everything I needed for the exam in a weekend: Copi, Irving M., and Carl Cohen, Introduction to Logic. Doesn't matter what edition. There used to be a load of them in the library. Don't buy it.

mickstupp wrote: »
    You might fail or you could get very close to 100%. All depends on how much practice you're willing to do, how much work on your own time. I highly recommend using the past papers as practice, time yourself with those as the exam time goes quicker than you'd expect. Whatever about the continuous assessment, it's entirely possible to get literally 100% in the exam. Or it used to be.

If the lecturer isn't explaining things well enough for you, I found this book really helpful, working through all the exercises in the relevant chapters, I covered basically everything I needed for the exam in a weekend: Copi, Irving M., and Carl Cohen, Introduction to Logic. Doesn't matter what edition. There used to be a load of them in the library. Don't buy it.

Thanks a million will try take a look for it during a gap in lectures :) , will need to get through this ethics module before I start worrying about logic though. :o

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Does that mean she repeated the year twice just for that class ?
    In his college they were allowed to carry on one fail to second year so basically what happened that in 1st year he failed his exam and repeat, same in second year but then he failed more than 1 so he had to take a year out and then he actually passed it... thats 5 times he did that exam

Mickstupp has pretty much covered everything. The essay was fairly straight forward but I found the book to be in short supply in the library...however I think it was over 80 euro to buy so just make sure you get in early.

Also like he said it's possible to get 100 percent in the exam but that requires mastering both types of Logic which. Bu was a no-no for me (syllogistic was fine...propositional was a different matter) But it really is just a matter of repeatedly doing the questions over and over until you can do them on autopilot.

There is also the positive that the lecturer might be Cyril McDonnell who was one of the best lecturers I had in my time there.

Paczini wrote: »
    In his college they were allowed to carry on one fail to second year so basically what happened that in 1st year he failed his exam and repeat, same in second year but then he failed more than 1 so he had to take a year out and then he actually passed it... thats 5 times he did that exam

Shiiit ! Pretty cool you can carry over a repeat ! Thats in UCD YEAH ?

Thanks a million will try take a look for it during a gap in lectures :) , will need to get through this ethics module before I start worrying about logic though. :o
    Logic is really easy to fail, though. It's not a module you can cram the night before. You need some practice at doing exercises. When I did it, the lecturer told us it was very common for people to fail the exam with a 20 or 30, then do the repeat and get 80 or 90%. Like Turtyturd said, it's repeatedly doing the questions over and over until you can do them on autopilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

What's with the wooden statues outside the Student Services Centre? Anyone?

Where's the Student Services Centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Behind John Hume.

Where the dr's and councelling service are....

Mickstupp has pretty much covered everything. The essay was fairly straight forward but I found the book to be in short supply in the library...however I think it was over 80 euro to buy so just make sure you get in early.

Also like he said it's possible to get 100 percent in the exam but that requires mastering both types of Logic which. Bu was a no-no for me (syllogistic was fine...propositional was a different matter) But it really is just a matter of repeatedly doing the questions over and over until you can do them on autopilot.

There is also the positive that the lecturer might be Cyril McDonnell who was one of the best lecturers I had in my time there.

I heard he is really good but he isn't doing the module. Think it was Haydn Gsomething listed as the lecturer.
    Logic is really easy to fail, though. It's not a module you can cram the night before. You need some practice at doing exercises. When I did it, the lecturer told us it was very common for people to fail the exam with a 20 or 30, then do the repeat and get 80 or 90%. Like Turtyturd said, it's repeatedly doing the questions over and over until you can do them on autopilot.

I will make sure to get into it quickly then once second semester starts and get the gist of it.

Shiiit ! Pretty cool you can carry over a repeat ! Thats in UCD YEAH ?
    One of the ITs

Does anyone else have SkyDrive and Microsoft 2013? Are you able to connect them on the campus wireless?

Does anyone else have SkyDrive and Microsoft 2013? Are you able to connect them on the campus wireless?

I'm trying to work out what sky srive is , I know I know it , I know I have it and I know I've used it before but my memory fails me

I heard he is really good but he isn't doing the module. Think it was Haydn Gsomething listed as the lecturer.

I will make sure to get into it quickly then once second semester starts and get the gist of it.

Hayden Gurmin ....he was my tutor in first year. Great bloke...really approachable which actually applies to any of the Philosophy department I have encountered.

I'm trying to work out what sky srive is , I know I know it , I know I have it and I know I've used it before but my memory fails me

The windows version of Dropbox! I use it for my word docs.

Another Q: Does anyone know if a letter from a hospital consultant saying that I have epilepsy can cover me instead of a medical cert?

Hayden Gurmin ....he was my tutor in first year. Great bloke...really approachable which actually applies to any of the Philosophy department I have encountered.

Ah awesome that is good to hear :D cool to see a tutor move up to full lecturer, wonder how common that is in universities. And the Philosophy department is probably the best I am in contact with along with Anthropology...English shall follow the nothing nice to say don't say anything at all rule for the moment. :P

On a completely different subject do you think it would be OK to just use a few of Plato's works and dialogues as reference for an essay on the philosophy of Socrates along with a few web articles? Went into the library today and everything on Socrates was cleared out. :(

• Advertisement

I think you'd want to be using some secondary literature as well.
    Between JSTOR and EBRARY, you should have all you'd ever possibly need.

Advertisement