Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kragenmore

Hey guys, quick question: Can any of you recommend a good phone shop? I remember hearing about two different ones in Maynooth; one was really bad and scammed people out of money, and the other was said to be run by really nice, helpful people. So if any of y'all can tell me the name of either, I'd really appreciate it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

mickstupp wrote: »
    I think you'd want to be using some secondary literature as well.
    Between JSTOR and EBRARY, you should have all you'd ever possibly need.

Thanks completely forgot about Ebrary :) , have never heard any mention of Jstor before.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

andrew369 wrote: »
    Ah awesome that is good to hear :D cool to see a tutor move up to full lecturer, wonder how common that is in universities. And the Philosophy department is probably the best I am in contact with along with Anthropology...English shall follow the nothing nice to say don't say anything at all rule for the moment. :P

On a completely different subject do you think it would be OK to just use a few of Plato's works and dialogues as reference for an essay on the philosophy of Socrates along with a few web articles? Went into the library today and everything on Socrates was cleared out. :(

Anthropology gets my 'if you can't say anything nice...' award :D.

If you are looking for sources we were always told the Stanford Philosophy website was ok to use....Stanford.edu i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Thanks completely forgot about Ebrary :) , have never heard any mention of Jstor before.

It's an online repository of journal articles. Very handy. If you're accessing from home, you need to login to the electronic resources section of the library site first, just like with EBRARY.

Since it's for an essay, I have a suggestion. When you find an article you think might be interesting don't just sit down and start reading it. First read the essay question a few times. Then read the article introduction, and the first line of every paragraph after that. You'll figure out much quicker if the article is any use to you. No sense wasting hours on a boring 20 page article you don't need. So skim through first, then if it's relevant, read it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

It's so funny to see everyone's different experiences of departments on campus - I wouldn't have a bad word to say about the English dept as I always found anyone I had reason to talk to very helpful and approachable. Same can't be said for some others though...

I suppose this is all precipitated by the fact that I'm one of those annoying people that always ask questions and stuff in class so I've no anxiety about approaching lecturers. I appreciate that not everyone is like that so it can be much more stressful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

marko93 wrote: »
    Possibly the most tedious uninteresting module I'll ever take part in. Shame the lecture is a nice lad.

I actually liked that module last year, I think I was the only one in the class who did!

On the bright side, if it's anything like the last few years (especially last year) then the exam will be great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Remember last week when I said I couldn't do essays and a lab report was even a struggle?

1500 word essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

Bantersoc.

Anyone know if they are doing/have done anything?
    Signed up on fairsday more through curiosity then anything else and never heard anything back.
    Is it just this years attempt at trying to do ladsoc again?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Toshi101 wrote: »
    Bantersoc.

Anyone know if they are doing/have done anything?
    Signed up on fairsday more through curiosity then anything else and never heard anything back.
    Is it just this years attempt at trying to do ladsoc again?

They had a meeting on Tuesday I think, my friend went to it!
    They have a fb page here with all their shizz iswell :)https://www.facebook.com/NuimBanterSoc?fref=ts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Most likely. It'll probably be gone by the end of the year again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Can someone in the Games SOC tell me what kinda LANs they have planned for the year?

Also, anyone in MINDs wanna give me a run down of what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Hello peeps :)

Just wondering if the common room or phoneix is open on Bank holidays???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Graduation today. Bah. I should be looting enemies, opening chests, vanquishing demons, saving the world while wandering the wastelands with my spiffy new +25%XP helm of awesome. Proper Study Week activities. This real world crap is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

How do i access books on Ebrary? I can log in using my nuim account on jstor but I cant get anything on ebrary.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    How do i access books on Ebrary? I can log in using my nuim account on jstor but I cant get anything on ebrary.

Should say to log in using your student number and password, then go to electronic resources, ebooks and should see ebrary academic complete for all the books on the database. :)

Should say to log in using your student number and password, then go to electronic resources, ebooks and should see ebrary academic complete for all the books on the database. :)

Aye, I figured it out. Thanks :) Socrates will be the death of me.

Aye, I figured it out. Thanks :) Socrates will be the death of me.

I am doing the Socrates essay too, have 4 books from the ebrary which should help me back up all the point I want to make. Not going to start it til tomorrow though since I want to squeeze out 800 words on Kant's Categorical Imperative tonight. :(

What sort of approach you taking with Socrates? Seems to me that he had a pretty basic philosophy himself and then Plato used him as a mouthpiece for his own ideas.

I am doing the Socrates essay too, have 4 books from the ebrary which should help me back up all the point I want to make. Not going to start it til tomorrow though since I want to squeeze out 800 words on Kant's Categorical Imperative tonight. :(

What sort of approach you taking with Socrates? Seems to me that he had a pretty basic philosophy himself and then Plato used him as a mouthpiece for his own ideas.

Is the Kant thing for a tutorial presentation? I did mine on the The Milesians in the first week, its easy enough I have to say. I enjoyed presenting it.

I'm struggling to find an angle to approach the Socrates essay tbh, there's so much info out there. I will probably just go through the various aspects of his philosophy, with references to Plato and some of the texts I found, and add in my own opinion. I've probably found the same 4 books as you!

Is the Kant thing for a tutorial presentation? I did mine on the The Milesians in the first week, its easy enough I have to say. I enjoyed presenting it.

I'm struggling to find an angle to approach the Socrates essay tbh, there's so much info out there. I will probably just go through the various aspects of his philosophy, with references to Plato and some of the texts I found, and add in my own opinion. I've probably found the same 4 books as you!

Yeah 800 words to read to the group. Won't be too hard to write considering it is pretty much a speech, no sourcing woooo :D

I am the same, pretty difficult to write about the philosophy of someone who never wrote a word on his own thoughts. :confused: I think I will take a pretty broad approach to it, do a pretty big section on the difficulty of pinning down Socrates' thoughts in an intro then use some ideas from the dialogues. Probably are some of the same books since I just typed in Socrates and took them all pretty near the top LOL. Great thing about philosophy is there is no wrong answer so should be OK as long as keep everything well sourced and well argued. :)

As much as I gave out about having class this week, the module we had was awesome. Applied theatre yeeeeeeow.

• Advertisement

Yeah 800 words to read to the group. Won't be too hard to write considering it is pretty much a speech, no sourcing woooo :D

I am the same, pretty difficult to write about the philosophy of someone who never wrote a word on his own thoughts. :confused: I think I will take a pretty broad approach to it, do a pretty big section on the difficulty of pinning down Socrates' thoughts in an intro then use some ideas from the dialogues. Probably are some of the same books since I just typed in Socrates and took them all pretty near the top LOL. Great thing about philosophy is there is no wrong answer so should be OK as long as keep everything well sourced and well argued. :)

I typed up an 800 word speech and ran a PowerPoint along side it. Got all my info off the philosophy encyclopaedia online. Do we have to do a presentation for each module?

Yeah that's a good point, all points of view are acceptable as long as you can back it up. Getting my thoughts onto the paper will be he issue.

I typed up an 800 word speech and ran a PowerPoint along side it. Got all my info off the philosophy encyclopaedia online. Do we have to do a presentation for each module?

Yeah that's a good point, all points of view are acceptable as long as you can back it up. Getting my thoughts onto the paper will be he issue.

We don't the option of power point in my class, every tutor seems to do it differently. I don't think so seems to be just one presentation, but still a lot of time this semester so could have 2. I will probably end up using the Stanford Encyclopedia or a site like that for mine too.

It's hardest getting started, once actually into it will probably be fine. I have been putting off starting it for days now.

On the subject of essays and stuff please excuse this novice question but what font is usually best when writing essays? This is my first proper written piece of academic work so I haven't a clue of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Boeing777 wrote: »
    On the subject of essays and stuff please excuse this novice question but what font is usually best when writing essays? This is my first proper written piece of academic work so I haven't a clue of it all.

Times New Roman, size 12 only! They don't like getting (and won't accept in my department anyway) anything else

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Check your dept rules. Some are very particular.

Check your dept rules. Some are very particular.

There's no rules given. I'm Science Education so writing essays is usually foreign to us. We've just been given an assignment to do with no technical information provided.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

There's no rules given. I'm Science Education so writing essays is usually foreign to us. We've just been given an assignment to do with no technical information provided.

TNR should be fine so. I'd have a quick look around for a course handbook ťhough. These things are usually hidden somewhere.

I use Calibri (mainly cause its the default on word) and have never had an issue. I find its easier to read than Times New Roman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I use Arial myself.

• Advertisement

I'm not really a fan of Times New Roman but I'll use it if I have to. Currently I'm using Cambria which is quite nice but I'm not sure if it's essay worthy.

Advertisement