Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MalCallan

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm in a weird mood :confused:

MY photography work made it into the print :D

When people steal my work they don't even credit me :(

I actually think it was stolen from this thread too. It's Mal though you kinda have to forgive him :p

You have my sincerest apologies dear friend. Rest assured it was unintentional, and done whilst under the influence of the tramadol that has entertained me this past 2 weeks (post op, i'm not an addict, i swear) Ill give ye a shoutout next issue and full credit! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Free cardboard cutout of GarIT in every issue of The Print!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

You know that you're a Maynooth oldie when you see I've on the ground outside and start worrying about having to cross the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

decisions wrote: »
    Is it just me or have the laptops in the library disappeared?
    There's some behind the main desk that you can get out too.

Two things about the library right now: it's freezing, and why the hell are there massive Surface tablets on the tables downstairs? Could that money not have been spent on something better? I've never seen anyone actually use them and they're always covered in a layer of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Seren_ wrote: »
    There's some behind the main desk that you can get out too.

Two things about the library right now: it's freezing, and why the hell are there massive Surface tablets on the tables downstairs? Could that money not have been spent on something better? I've never seen anyone actually use them and they're always covered in a layer of rubbish.

More computers would have been a much better use of the money,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

decisions wrote: »
    More computers would have been a much better use of the money,

Or a system which drops electrified nets on people wasting time using Facebook on the library computers.

Exactly. Even one of those tablets must have cost a few thousand euro like seeing as they're enormous.

Has the wifi (all over campus) been crap for anyone else today? I literally have had nothing good to say about this college (other than my course and nice people and stuff) since I started back, it's a bit sad.

Edit: I remembered that I actually like the canteen now and the hot chocolates from the arts block machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Exactly. Even one of those tablets must have cost a few thousand euro like seeing as they're enormous.

Has the wifi (all over campus) been crap for anyone else today? I literally have had nothing good to say about this college (other than my course and nice people and stuff) since I started back, it's a bit sad.

Edit: I remembered that I actually like the canteen now and the hot chocolates from the arts block machines.

WiFi has been ****e any time I've been on-campus this year.

WiFi has been ****e any time I've been on-campus this year.

Tell me about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

You guys are all really cranky today. Really cranky.

• Advertisement

The wifi really has been shyte this year. It seems to disconnect every 2 mins :mad:

I can't wait to go on placement and get out of here (for a few months anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Does anyone know what are the opening hours of SU bar on fridays? Im thinking about going to play some pool there on Friday afternoon but I just need to be sure that its open before Ill all the way down to campus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Paczini wrote: »
    Does anyone know what are the opening hours of SU bar on fridays? Im thinking about going to play some pool there on Friday afternoon but I just need to be sure that its open before Ill all the way down to campus

Usually opens at 10 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MalCallan

Paczini wrote: »

Open from 10 through to 4pm Paczini! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I had to disable and then re-enable my laptop's wi-fi just to connect, it was really pissing me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

MalCallan wrote: »
    Open from 10 through to 4pm Paczini! :D
    Thanks Mal, I'll have to come down early then :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Omfgzzzz Mal posts here thats sooooo cool!!

/Excited First Year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

When your headphones somehow automagically get themselves into an undisentangleable Gordian knot.

DAMN YOU CLUMSY FINGERS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I was on to the computer centre last week about the disconnecting WiFi. They said the network guy was on holidays. That's right. Apparently there is one guy to handle all the network queries on campus. Is it any wonder the system is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The cost of the tables is at most 1.2K each. They are still a waste given nobody uses them for anything useful. The computers running the tables cost less than €200, the screen would be around €600 and then putting them all together/the table part could be up to €200-€300 maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Ah but then add on the massive costs that public bodies seem to come up with when buying ****ing anything and your easily looking at a million quid each. (May be a slight over estimation but can't be far off.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Biggest reason for waste is buying something cool that could have been useful, but then skimping on the functionality because they don't know what they're doing and think they're saving money, so they end up just spending a load of money on a folly. If they had spent a little more money on the touch screen tables, they could actually have performed some useful functions and been worth the money.

Oh man, I could tell you some stories about the university and technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Woun

I dunno, I loved Maynooth the last 2 years, finding it a bit suffocating / monotonous or something this year. Can't wait to finish up the degree now and head off somewhere a bit different.

Maybe i've had a bad week, I dunno, I just wanna move on to a bigger college in Dublin for at least an M.A.

But I will probably always miss Maynooth and it's funny little ways a bit when I leave! :')

Woun that's pretty much how I feel too. Its probably just being nostalgic but the college feels a lot different from when I started here, more institutional and less friendly. I'd Have loved to gone somewhere else for my MA but the course I wanted was here. I'll always have good stuff to say about maynooth cause I've met some amazing people here and had great times, but ive just outgrown it a bit I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I am not getting any of those vibes. This is my sixth year here and I love it more all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Picked it over every university in Dublin and still glad I did.

Getting seriously annoyed with the ques in the library and looking around and loads are on FB. Fella beside me today was watching the Bull McCabe on YouTube!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

I am a first year and am not really enjoying Maynooth at all. All the stuff about being the friendliest college in the country is seeming like BS a little at the moment. Thinking of transferring out to UCD next year to take philosophy as a single honours instead of part of arts at Maynooth since my other 2 subject are mehh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

andrew369 wrote: »
    I am a first year and am not really enjoying Maynooth at all. All the stuff about being the friendliest college in the country is seeming like BS a little at the moment. Thinking of transferring out to UCD next year to take philosophy as a single honours instead of part of arts at Maynooth since my other 2 subject are mehh.

Give it time man, it will get better :)

Andrew if you're not enjoying it, go for the change. Make sure and have a look around first and make sure you'd be eligible to transfer to single honours there and just to get the vibe from UCD like. Don't rush into anything either, take your time and work out what's best for you. Good luck with it all.

Personally, I've changed and grown up a lot as a person since I was in college here last so I think that's maybe why I'm having such issues with the place.

• Advertisement

Ah I don't know. I still love Maynooth. My biggest problem is just missing all my old groups. Very few people are still around after 5 years.

I'd definitely still agree with the friendliest college name. I've seen others, and I do feel Maynooth tops them on that level. People are just nice to everyone here. You don't generally have subject divides that I've seen with others.

Maynooth is like baby bear: Just Right.

@Andrew, if it's just the subjects have you looked into doing a single honours here? It is possible in most depts based on grades.

Advertisement