Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

I am so outta Maynooth after this year. 5 years is too long and the place is too small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

People who are here 5+ years are ye postgrad students or SU people or what? (Not trying to be a creepy internet perv just curious).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

People who are here 5+ years are ye postgrad students or SU people or what? (Not trying to be a creepy internet perv just curious).

Took 4 years to do my arts degree cause had to defer a year due to being sick. Did a year of a post grad diploma which was sh1t and not for me and didn't finish it, then took a year out and worked. Now back for a 2 year MA, so at the end of it all I'll have been in college here 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

This place has an uncanny way of trapping you and never letting you leave....

By the time I finish my degree I'll have been a Maynoothonian for six years !! :eek:

Having said that I still like Maynooth it has it's good and bad points like everywhere else. I've often thought of changing courses/college but have always felt it was just a case of the grass being greener on the other side kinda thing.... I do wish there was more variety in places to go out though and not every weekend was there a mass exodus of the town , other than that its grand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

5 years is a long time to be in one university all the same. I'd see so many places and people come and go.

As for the friendliest, it's defo more friendly than most university's I've visited or went. Spend 4 years in DCU and I can honestly look back now and say I hated it. The SU were useless, clubs and society's didn't give a **** about members. It was just one big degree factory with zero soul or personality. So be careful if you pick another university because you think it might be friendlier. Imagine being on your own in a place the size of UCD. That could really cripple a person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I'm only here 3 years (but plan on staying 6)

I still love it. I still think everyone is so friendly, I love the campus and lecturers. Maybe I won't feel the same after all my friends leave this year though.

My main issues on campus are the lack of Computers (which makes it very difficult to print when I need to. And it seems like air conditioning/heating is non-existent. I think the college relies on body heat.

And that fact the every path on campus seems to take the longest possible route to everywhere.

I also have some issues with the SU, but thats a whole other story...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm in my fifth year now due to a years work placement (no phone, I did not want to write placenta) and then taking a year out for health/personal (petcock, really?) Reasons.

My autocorrect is on a roll tonight!

I do think taking breaks and getting older can change your POV. You can create a nostalgic idealised memory of the place that when you return to real life where things and people may have changed, it can get harder to get used to. This year is definitely different to the last time that I was here!

I'm in my fifth year now due to a years work placement (no phone, I did not want to write placenta) and then taking a year out for health/personal (petcock, really?) Reasons.

My autocorrect is on a roll tonight!

I do think taking breaks and getting older can change your POV. You can create a nostalgic idealised memory of the place that when you return to real life where things and people may have changed, it can get harder to get used to. This year is definitely different to the last time that I was here!

During your time off and being that bit older was there ever a point that you just said fùck it I'm finished with there or were you always 100% you'd finish?

Petcock is something you saved on your phone, don't go blaming autocorrect!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Postgrad. I stayed because the only person in the country with the expertise in my chosen topic is in Maynooth. I'd have to go to Cambridge otherwise. Can't afford that.

Besides that, my experiences with (and words I've heard about) places like TCD and UCD were almost universally not as good as NUIM. Not for me at any rate. Ultimately it comes down to the individual though. Many people thrive in those bigger universities, never mind the things that bother me about them. I like this place. I like that almost everyone I've met here has been lovely. I like that I can knock on lecturers doors, often without having to make an appointment. Lots of other reasons.

On another note, why the hell is Facebook not blocked on the library computers?

mickstupp wrote: »
    Postgrad. I stayed because the only person in the country with the expertise in my chosen topic is in Maynooth. I'd have to go to Cambridge otherwise. Can't afford that.

On another note, why the hell is Facebook not blocked on the library computers?

Agreed. It's a disaster at this stage, especially coming up . If I was to complain who would best to complain to?

I find it very selfish. People rushing to print or finish assignments and someone is there looking at FB.

• Advertisement

During your time off and being that bit older was there ever a point that you just said fùck it I'm finished with there or were you always 100% you'd finish?

Petcock is something you saved on your phone, don't go blaming autocorrect!! :P

Nope, I was never giving up. I worked my ass off to get into the degree, I want leaving without finishing it. I never had a problem with the course, I loved it, I just had my own, separate, issues to deal with.

I have no explanation for petcock. I don't even know where I would have even used it!

Agreed. It's a disaster at this stage, especially coming up . If I was to complain who would best to complain to?

I find it very selfish. People rushing to print or finish assignments and someone is there looking at FB.

I don't understand how Facebook is still blocked on the old computers but they haven't done anything about the new ones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I saw someone watch a week's worth of Home and Away episodes on a computer upstairs before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

There are some of us here that are no longer students, but spent many a year there! I did four years, BA and the MSc and I need the space now. I loved my time there, met some really fantastic people and definitely think it's one of the prettiest colleges around. I loved the staff too and got some great support from them, so that definitely influenced my love for the place!

I'm going (hopefully!!) to DCU in September to do the PME (new H.Dip) because I wanted space from Maynooth. I moved here 16 years ago and I'm getting slight cabin fever! It doesn't look great if all three were to be from the same university, so I'm heading back into the shmoke to train!

I still lurk here though, I like to think my time there allows me to creep. :D

I had it blocked in the old library. Raised it in Union Council and everyone agreed, so the SU were mandated to act on it. So do that again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Consistent f**k-up :pac:

Consistent f**k-up :pac:

Ah now ! The scenic route is a much nicer term :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

kellief wrote: »
    I had it blocked in the old library. Raised it in Union Council and everyone agreed, so the SU were mandated to act on it. So do that again!

That was done last month. According to the IT staff Facebook is blocked in the library, and it should be impossible for students to access Facebook from any library computers. They were told it's not but I don't know the outcome.

GarIT wrote: »
    That was done last month. According to the IT staff Facebook is blocked in the library, and it should be impossible for students to access Facebook from any library computers. They were told it's not but I don't know the outcome.

Well not yet based on what I saw looking through the window when leaving the library today.

Well not yet based on what I saw looking through the window when leaving the library today.

What I meant by that was done is that the union was asked to get Facebook blocked and everyone agreed. Our class rep talked to the IT guys about it and was told that it's already blocked. Some great blocking skills going on there :P

What I meant by that was done is that the union was asked to get Facebook blocked and everyone agreed. Our class rep talked to the IT guys about it and was told that it's already blocked. Some great blocking skills going on there :P

Even if it is blocked you can still get around it by way of the magic proxy.... :P

• Advertisement

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Even if it is blocked you can still get around it by way of the magic proxy.... :P

I've tried, you don't need a proxy to get to the login page although I'd need an account to check more. But I assume it's not proxies as you shouldn't be able to access the proxy settings on library computers. And AFAIK using proxies on Uni computers with the intention of breaking the code of conduct for internet access can get you kicked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Seren_ wrote: »
    Andrew if you're not enjoying it, go for the change. Make sure and have a look around first and make sure you'd be eligible to transfer to single honours there and just to get the vibe from UCD like. Don't rush into anything either, take your time and work out what's best for you. Good luck with it all.

Personally, I've changed and grown up a lot as a person since I was in college here last so I think that's maybe why I'm having such issues with the place.

Thanks Seren :) I have a friend at UCD who loves it, will probably drop in with him during the open day to see what it is like. Someone I know as class rep for philosophy said they might be bringing single honours at Maynooth, but still not sure about the place. Feels like such a let down after how everyone I spoke to always had something good to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What do you feel let down by? Out of curiosity

I've tried, you don't need a proxy to get to the login page although I'd need an account to check more. But I assume it's not proxies as you shouldn't be able to access the proxy settings on library computers. And AFAIK using proxies on Uni computers with the intention of breaking the code of conduct for internet access can get you kicked out.

Its not blocked on the library computers at all but now that you mention it the computers in the study rooms upstairs in the library have no controls or admin restrictions on them at all theyre just like your regular pc at home which is interesting....

The proxy works for the arts block computers though its awfully slow , I've seen a number of other people do this too. The mobile version of fb also used to work until a while ago....

I understand why people are put out by people using fb etc at busy times. But the way things are atm suits me, but that's cos I don't use college computers to do work except in the evenings when there's no one around and actually exploit the fact access to fb etc as I use it for my study breaks. Having said that though the college would be dead right to block it should they do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

hehehehe petcock

Oh Siomha :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    What do you feel let down by? Out of curiosity

Feel left out as a commuter pretty much. Good few weeks in now and haven't been able to go to any society events or get to know anyone at all. My fault for not putting in the effort but feels too late to get in on anything now. Alone in a crowd sort of is best way to describe it. Then the course is alright, not great. English is completely different to what I thought it would be. Went from loving it during the LC to hating it now. Anthropology is alright but can't see myself doing 3 years of it. I love philosophy and the department seems pretty good but at the moment it feels like a hobby course for people to take during first year than an actual solid course, bit easy too. Entire class seems to be a mixture of theology students and people with no actual interest in the subject. Frustrating in tutorials or just trying to talk to someone in lectures, just come away feeling like a swot. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Don't put yourself down for being interested in the subject you're studying. You're not a swot for doing work! Also English is a love it or hate it thing it seems. It was my worst subject in my lc but I adored it in college (I love all that abstract theory stuff though). And for a college which must be 50% commuters, there really isn't adequate consideration of it when it comes to a lot of things esp clubs and socs.

Omg I actually need to ban myself from reading stuff on after hours that I know will make me angry. And comments on the journal.

andrew369 wrote: »
    Feel left out as a commuter pretty much. Good few weeks in now and haven't been able to go to any society events or get to know anyone at all. My fault for not putting in the effort but feels too late to get in on anything now. Alone in a crowd sort of is best way to describe it. Then the course is alright, not great. English is completely different to what I thought it would be. Went from loving it during the LC to hating it now. Anthropology is alright but can't see myself doing 3 years of it. I love philosophy and the department seems pretty good but at the moment it feels like a hobby course for people to take during first year than an actual solid course, bit easy too. Entire class seems to be a mixture of theology students and people with no actual interest in the subject. Frustrating in tutorials or just trying to talk to someone in lectures, just come away feeling like a swot. :(

It's never too late to try. Don't give up just because you can. :-)
    I know that bring commuter is more difficult but try get involved in what you can. Have a look for events and attend even if you don't know anyone. You never know who you'll meet. We should do a boardsie meet up soon and then you'll know us! :-)

Your classes will get better when the dossers leave after first year. The classes will probably get more intense too. I've found that a lot of people feel the same with English too. College is a new world for a lot subjects.

andrew369 wrote: »

Andrew I'm the same as a commuter and yeah it can suck at times. You do know you can stay on the grounds for about €25 a night so if there was big sessions on you could stay there?

I know how you feel I went through the exact same years ago when I first went to DCU it can be a horrible feeling and then leaving campus at the first available opportunity. I'm mad busy finishing stuff this week but if you fancy a scoop or two in the SU next week at any stage send me a PM. I'm not some mad weirdo or anything so you'll be fine! Promise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Andrew I'm the same as a commuter and yeah it can suck at times. You do know you can stay on the grounds for about €25 a night so if there was big sessions on you could stay there?

I know how you feel I went through the exact same years ago when I first went to DCU it can be a horrible feeling and then leaving campus at the first available opportunity. I'm mad busy finishing stuff this week but if you fancy a scoop or two in the SU next week at any stage send me a PM. I'm not some mad weirdo or anything so you'll be fine! Promise!

Says the guy whose location is 'under your bed'...

Advertisement