Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

What's this about banning youtube in the library???
    I find Youtube is actually really helpful for my course (science) and it's great for just before exam time where you can sit back and passively study after pouring over books/notes for the whole month. Don't let the few people abusing it ruin it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Is there a lost property place on campus? Left a coat in theatre 2 and would like to reclaim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Is there a lost property place on campus? Left a coat in theatre 2 and would like to reclaim it.

Yeah, just inside the door of Arts, opposite theatre 1 actually.

What's this about banning youtube in the library???
    I find Youtube is actually really helpful for my course (science) and it's great for just before exam time where you can sit back and passively study after pouring over books/notes for the whole month. Don't let the few people abusing it ruin it for everyone.

An interesting point, how do we tackle not having enough computers or seating then?

IMO you could probably argue that YouTube does more good than harm. I would however still propose the blocking of all pure entertinment sites with no research or educational value.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

F*ck Streamline Coaches. I was waiting for one of their buses this morning, and I had to stand next to the shelter as it was raining in such a way that the rain reached inside the shelter. I was standing right at the edge of the shelter, so I could see if the bus was coming, but the bastard didn't brake.

If I could carpool, I'd stop using Streamline without any hesitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

kellief wrote: »
    Who is teaching that module?
    There is a module called Climate and Glaciers, I think it's a second year module. If you can do that one! PM me if you have any more questions

Not sure whos teaching it I hope its ro Charlton she seems sound enough.:)
    yeah it would be a 2nd year module, but im pretty sure its just called Climate. did u do it in 2nd year?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

GarIT wrote: »

How big is the priority area going to be. At the moment if all the library computers banned entertainment sites there might just about be enough computers for everyone that wants to do work. Space is also an issue in the library, finding somewhere to sit can be an issue towards the end of the week. Would we not be better off if all entertainment sites were blocked from the library completely even over WiFi? I think the library needs to have a lot more focus on getting work done and not just being a place for people to hang out, if you want to go on FB or youtube or whatever there is always the common room, arts or the su.

On library computers - Yes
    Completely over WiFi - NO

A quick question. Did anyone ever take JJ Kavanagh bus from Naas to NUIM? Now reliable are they? Cause I heard that they have tendency of not showing up at all and I will be relying on it on Monday :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Paczini wrote: »
    A quick question. Did anyone ever take JJ Kavanagh bus from Naas to NUIM? Now reliable are they? Cause I heard that they have tendency of not showing up at all and I will be relying on it on Monday :/

Used to get it from Clane, sometimes it's early and sometimes it's super late, but it never just didn't show up for me.. Except for when it snowed!

On library computers - Yes
    Completely over WiFi - NO

Why not over WiFi in the library, it is starting to get a bit tight for space already, and I've often seen people using snapchat or instagram and sh*t like that at the desks on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Theres also a group of about 5 lads that gather in the library study areas weekly to play fantasy football and are usually quite loud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Why not over WiFi in the library, it is starting to get a bit tight for space already, and I've often seen people using snapchat or instagram and sh*t like that at the desks on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Theres also a group of about 5 lads that gather in the library study areas weekly to play fantasy football and are usually quite loud.

Because if we're on our own laptops we should be allowed go on what we want. I work off the pomodoro method when I work and I use Facebook and boards during my breaks and I have every right to do so on my personal laptop and phone. I totally agree with it for college computers but not for controlling everyone in the library.

Besides, can they even do that to the wifi like that? Can you limit it to a certain area?

Because if we're on our own laptops we should be allowed go on what we want. I work off the pomodoro method when I work and I use Facebook and boards during my breaks and I have every right to do so on my personal laptop and phone. I totally agree with it for college computers but not for controlling everyone in the library.

Besides, can they even do that to the wifi like that? Can you limit it to a certain area?

Fair enough, I think with the shortage of space they should limit it somehow, obviously most seem to disagree.

It's fairly easy to limit it like that. Yeah you can change what's allowed per router. Or another solution would be to turn off nuim wireless and eduroam in the library, and just have something like library wifi and restrict everything through that. You could probably limit it per floor, or even side of the library. Like block everything over the old side of the library. I'm surprised more people don't agree, between 11 and 1 on wed, thurs and Friday its impossible to get a seat without having people beside you on each side.

On that note, everyone should try the pomodoro method. I find it really helps get the head down, particularly as I suffer from major concentration issue as a side-effect from meds I'm taking. This Strict Workflow Chrome extension works with it too. It has a timer that blocks all distracting websites during your 25 min work time and will open them again for your 5 min break.

On that note, everyone should try the pomodoro method. I find it really helps get the head down, particularly as I suffer from major concentration issue as a side-effect from meds I'm taking. This Strict Workflow Chrome extension works with it too. It has a timer that blocks all distracting websites during your 25 min work time and will open them again for your 5 min break.

Might help me get my assignments done for tomorrow :p

Fair enough, I think with the shortage of space they should limit it somehow, obviously most seem to disagree.

It's fairly easy to limit it like that. Yeah you can change what's allowed per router. Or another solution would be to turn off nuim wireless and eduroam in the library, and just have something like library wifi and restrict everything through that. You could probably limit it per floor, or even side of the library. Like block everything over the old side of the library. I'm surprised more people don't agree, between 11 and 1 on wed, thurs and Friday its impossible to get a seat without having people beside you on each side.

I'm all for blocking the library computers, I just think that it's going way too far to block it entirely on people's personal phones/laptops.

I'd hardly see having people beside you as being a major problem? You'll have that problem in class and exams? Things will get worse over exams but I'd expect less laptops and less facebook at that stage too, particularly as panic starts to set in. My biggest concern is having to force myself up early to get a seat when that starts happening! I'm not exactly a morning person!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I've been doing it since about last Easter, it really helps me too. I feel like I get way more work done in a smaller amount of time, because there's far less screwing around. And it really helps psychologically, to know you're going to do one thing and only one thing, no distractions, for 25 minutes, and then do what you want for a break. Works great for me.

Might help me get my assignments done for tomorrow :p

I hope that you're not in the library! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I'm all for blocking the library computers, I just think that it's going way too far to block it entirely on people's personal phones/laptops.

I'd hardly see having people beside you as being a major problem? You'll have that problem in class and exams? Things will get worse over exams but I'd expect less laptops and less facebook at that stage too, particularly as panic starts to set in. My biggest concern is having to force myself up early to get a seat when that starts happening! I'm not exactly a morning person!

Its not exactly a problem yet but the library is at over 50% full now, not much of a problem but it will get worse later in the year. And the UNI is planning to take on something like 1000 extra students per year for the next 5 years.

I can see the argument of peoples freedom etc but I just don't really see how it applies in the library, no matter what computer you are on. I think that the library should be a lot stricter and more like a library than it is at the moment and not used as a place to hang out. Something similar is In the last 3 days I've seen 2 people answer their phone in the middle of everyone working, IMO things like that should result in a months ban from the library or something. I guess the library isn't libraryish enough for my liking.

Its not exactly a problem yet but the library is at over 50% full now, not much of a problem but it will get worse later in the year. And the UNI is planning to take on something like 1000 extra students per year for the next 5 years.

I can see the argument of peoples freedom etc but I just don't really see how it applies in the library, no matter what computer you are on. I think that the library should be a lot stricter and more like a library than it is at the moment and not used as a place to hang out. Something similar is In the last 3 days I've seen 2 people answer their phone in the middle of everyone working, IMO things like that should result in a months ban from the library or something. I guess the library isn't libraryish enough for my liking.

The library is meant to be more than just a house for books though. It's why it has common rooms and meeting rooms, and Starbucks for that matter. People will always cause issues, answering phones is the least of it and sometimes that has to be done. What you're expecting isn't even "libraryish", it sounds more like pure exam conditions to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Just block Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr all those social sites on the library computers. Except for YouTube considering that can actually be used to help with learning. It is that simple. The library is for everyone, that is why it has a bean bag room and a Starbucks. As for those people who are disgustingly evil enough to think they can sit next to someone they are called students, there is about 8500 of them and if I don't see one of them streaking through the library and across campus screaming "toga" by the end of the year I will frankly want my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Great advice, thanks!!

It's definitely not the most quiet library in the world that's for sure. Don't mind noise in the bean bag room or anywhere else but once you go past reception there should be zero tolerance.

People can do what they want on their own mobiles/laptops. Surely they can just ban it on library PCs it can't be that hard.

Why doesn't viber work over the wireless network? Anyone else have that problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

If it's too noisy, use the earplugs! I use them even when I'm studying at home - no background noise really helps me to focus better on the job at hand.

Planemo wrote: »
    If it's too noisy, use the earplugs! I use them even when I'm studying at home - no background noise really helps me to focus better on the job at hand.

Deezer - Classical Instrumental Playlist - Volume 4. Done

Or if I'm in the mood. MCR's super amazeyballs (in honour of the Dáil today) cheese playlist.

When I'm studying in the library I'm usually on Facebook. First of all during exams I find the course page on facebook really helpful and I can always seek help from my friends when I'm stuck on the assignment/homework or if I just get stressed out and I want to chill out and talk to someone for few minutes.
    Deezer - Classical Instrumental Playlist - Volume 4. Done

Or if I'm in the mood. MCR's super amazeyballs (in honour of the Dáil today) cheese playlist.

I recently started listening to meditation music when I'm studying :o
    jubella wrote: »
    Used to get it from Clane, sometimes it's early and sometimes it's super late, but it never just didn't show up for me.. Except for when it snowed!
    Do you think I will catch it if Ill get to the bus stop 10-15min early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Do you think I will catch it if Ill get to the bus stop 10-15min early?

Absolutely. It's rarely 5 mins early and often 10 mins late, in my experience anyway!

jubella wrote: »
    Absolutely. It's rarely 5 mins early and often 10 mins late, in my experience anyway!
    Thank you! My friend decided to take it once but it never showed up. Thats why I was worried.. I will be relying on that bus on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I am, for some reason, awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone know where the second hand books are on sale now, only noticed they are no longer in Londis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 MalCallan

Theyre now sold in The Printing Press in the Students Union Building. Its just on the right as you enter the main lobby of the SU Bar/Venue, where the Mature Students Room used to be across from the womens toilets. Hope that helps!

Advertisement