Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Ridiculous amount of all student emails sent out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Seren_ wrote: »
    Ridiculous amount of all student emails sent out today.

Yeah, we really need to be allowed customise our spam filter and All students list should be used only for emergencies.

GarIT wrote: »
    Yeah, we really need to be allowed customise our spam filter and All students list should be used only for emergencies.

I was greeted with a load of all student emails and an overquota warning this morning.
    Really useless stuff they email you too, wouldn't mind if it was something important but if it's for FLAC or a charity or something a few posters will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I could understand if it was an important event, but not every society (one society in particular) event should get a separate e-mail. Should really only be all student e-mails for SU events, if someone wanted the e-mails of that society they would have signed up for the society.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

The law dept are particularly annoying when it comes to forwarding EVERY law society, ELSA and FLAC email that gets sent. I already made the choice of being a member so that I could get the emails from them so why do the dept have to send them out too?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

What even does a rugby analyst have to do with renewable energy....:confused:

andrew369 wrote: »
    What even does a rugby analyst have to do with renewable energy....:confused:

I wondered this too but I think that he might be involved with some renewable energy group. It is a genuine connection afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

I wondered this too but I think that he might be involved with some renewable energy group. It is a genuine connection afaik.

Ah fair enough then, still hardly an expert on it but I guess most of these sort of debates wouldn't attract a large crowd unless it was someone well known talking regardless of how much they actually know. Damn you popular culture :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

The law dept are particularly annoying when it comes to forwarding EVERY law society, ELSA and FLAC email that gets sent. I already made the choice of being a member so that I could get the emails from them so why do the dept have to send them out too?!

I'm not a law student - just happen to be taking one law module this year as part of a business/accounting degree... and I get ALL of these emails. Annoying beyond belief!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I just checked my NUIM e-mail account for the first time in about 6 weeks...whoever sends 1MB attachments with their e-mails needs to be splashed in the face with a cup of cold water.

• Advertisement

I just checked my NUIM e-mail account for the first time in about 6 weeks...whoever sends 1MB attachments with their e-mails needs to be splashed in the face with a cup of cold water.

You are way too civil. I have taken to responding to every email I get with please stop sending me spam. Maybe if a few more people do it, it might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I seem to be the only person pleased with the increase in mails from the college. You guys know there's a delete button, right?

mickstupp wrote: »
    I seem to be the only person pleased with the increase in mails from the college. You guys know there's a delete button, right?

I haven't gotten any emails from the college in a long time, mainly spam from charities, lit and deb and law. Inbox space is prescious and I usually read emails just to make sure they're important so it just waists time. If an email isn't important and I haven't asked for it I shouldn't be getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I haven't gotten any emails from the college in a long time, mainly spam from charities, lit and deb and law. Inbox space is prescious and I usually read emails just to make sure they're important so it just waists time. If an email isn't important and I haven't asked for it I shouldn't be getting it.
    Well, that's certainly fair enough. Maybe it would be better if there was an opt-in setup, like when you subscribe to various sites, or have your purchasing details with some online shops, you can decide whether to receive their newsletters etc. or not.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Well, that's certainly fair enough. Maybe it would be better if there was an opt-in setup, like when you subscribe to various sites, or have your purchasing details with some online shops, you can decide whether to receive their newsletters etc. or not.

There kind of is. You obviously have to opt into socs but some will email you anyway. And the college has a very strict policy for spam but won't use it on their own staff. Apparently scam charities aren't spam.

There kind of is. You obviously have to opt into socs but some will email you anyway. And the college has a very strict policy for spam but won't use it on their own staff. Apparently scam charities aren't spam.

Exactly which is the scam charity?

Exactly which is the scam charity?

Most of them really, most charities pay staff way too much. Then there was the one last year that was asking for presents to be given to them in shoeboxes and sent to Africa. When the shoeboxes are given out the kids are bombarded with Christian stuff, and basically manipulated into becoming Christian. I'm not sure if it was the case with the specific organisation in Maynooth but some kids that we helped by similar schemes were even required to be baptised in return for Christmas presents but ex volunteers of the organisation that was operating in Maynooth have said that there was a heavy religious focus being put on the kids with the kids being told things like the presents come from Jesus. IMO it's the lowest of the low bribing vulnerable children to becoming religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Is it just me, or is myce.nuim.ie not working for anyone else?

No, it seems to be a general issue today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

First law ball! Has the potential to be epic.

Just hope to fock I take it easy on the gargle and not do something outrageously stupid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 kragenmore

what are the odds of me finding a space at 12 tomorrow? i know carparks are nearly full around 11, but the fact that some lectures aren't on this week...

Chastity people are back, leaflets and all. Anyone have a plan?

I'm up for a healthy (passive aggressive) debate with them if anyone else is.

IMO we should get a group together, block up that part of Arts and refuse to leave until they leave.

Why is everyone offline? And Mal if you are reading this can you please encourage the SU to do something about this.

I've emailed the president of the college and the SU about this. Hopefully people will join me.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

WARNING!!!
    myce.nuim.ie has mood swings today. it kept logging me out when I tried to send a REALLY long email and I had to write it all over again,:mad: and then it logged me out again... but this time I copied it. :P

I had my first shouting match with them today. They tried to hand me a leaflet and I lost the plot with them. I've heard over 5 groups of people giving out about them but nobody will get together to protest them.

Who keeps inviting those **** here? Something tells me it's the comatose Pro-Life Society.

If enough people are willing I propose a meeting in the common room at 1, followed by a protest in Arts. I've emailed pretty much every dept in the college, anyone know how to get the LGBTQ soc involved? Maybe Femsoc too? Their email databases should be handy.

Sounds like a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I may swing by and have a look.

It's mad that I was the only person that had some sort of compassion for the free speech side last week and this week nobody cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

It's mad that I was the only person that had some sort of compassion for the free speech side last week and this week nobody cares.

Tbh I think a lot of people are just happier ignoring the trolls. That and perhaps people haven't seen them yet.

Advertisement