Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Tbh I think a lot of people are just happier ignoring the trolls. That and perhaps people haven't seen them yet.

I'm tempted to give up. Most departments in the college are saying the material they have is fine because of free speech and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Paczini wrote: »
    WARNING!!!
    myce.nuim.ie has mood swings today. it kept logging me out when I tried to send a REALLY long email and I had to write it all over again,:mad: and then it logged me out again... but this time I copied it. :P

Set up forwarding to gmail/whatever you use for your personal email. You can set it to send stuff from your @nuim.ie email too. Seriously, the webmail has to be the worst email provider thingy that I've ever used. Even worse than Outlook! haven't logged into it in about four years.
    GarIT wrote: »
    If enough people are willing I propose a meeting in the common room at 1, followed by a protest in Arts. I've emailed pretty much every dept in the college, anyone know how to get the LGBTQ soc involved? Maybe Femsoc too? Their email databases should be handy.

I won't be able to make anything at 1 cause I've another meeting to attend, but definitely something should be done to show that the vast majority of students don't want these hateful leaflets on campus. I'm not really involved in femsoc this year due to a severe lack of time, but I think trying to get a campaign against it off the ground and sending complaints to different people. I think if people can challenge them when they're handed a leaflet and then send emails to the SU/uni president about it that will help. Not sure what LGBTQ?pride soc's email is now, but if you email vpcsud@nuimsu.com they'll give it to you. Femsoc's is femsocnuim@gmail.com and Amnesty's is amnesty@nuimsu.com

Seren_ wrote: »
    I won't be able to make anything at 1 cause I've another meeting to attend, but definitely something should be done to show that the vast majority of students don't want these hateful leaflets on campus. I'm not really involved in femsoc this year due to a severe lack of time, but I think trying to get a campaign against it off the ground and sending complaints to different people. I think if people can challenge them when they're handed a leaflet and then send emails to the SU/uni president about it that will help. Not sure what LGBTQ?pride soc's email is now, but if you email vpcsud@nuimsu.com they'll give it to you. Femsoc's is femsocnuim@gmail.com and Amnesty's is amnesty@nuimsu.com

Thanks for that. I've pretty much given up, apparently I'm being irrational and it's just free speech and they want me to see the counsellor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Thanks for that. I've pretty much given up, apparently I'm being irrational and it's just free speech and they want me to see the counsellor.

Who told you that?

Who told you that?

Access office.

• Advertisement

Access office.

College departments won't want to get involved. Getting in touch with societies is definitely the way forward.

Jesus, that's a bit ridiculous. I don't think you're being irrational at all. Those leaflets are very offensive.

Edit: I agree with Pudsy - socs and the SU are prob the best way to go. Try Aidan, the welfare office in the SU as well as the stuff would be under his remit. It will probably be difficult to mobilise people seeing as there's just a week of college left, but if nobody gives it a go they'll think they're welcome to come back. Maybe start up a facebook page to talk about it as well. Even if its just to raise awareness that a lot of us don't want that sort of stuff on campus. I'm all for free speech, but if it's marginalising people or attacking people's lifestyle choices it's not fair.

College departments won't want to get involved. Getting in touch with societies is definitely the way forward.

I don't think socs can be contacted quickly enough. They will be gone before anything is done. ATM the focus should be on getting rid of them, it would be a big victory to have them asked to leave before they want to, after that we can look into banning them for the future.

I don't think socs can be contacted quickly enough. They will be gone before anything is done. ATM the focus should be on getting rid of them, it would be a big victory to have them asked to leave before they want to, after that we can look into banning them for the future.

They'll be back. You'll get the societies on board for next time. Actually I think there's amnesty stall in arts today so maybe have a chat with them.

I'm going to head over now and have a wee chat with the ones handing out the leaflets :P

• Advertisement

Kick some ass. Might take a trip over soon myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The SU have control over the Arts Block, so maybe pop over to the SU office and find out who gave them permission to be there.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    The SU have control over the Arts Block, so maybe pop over to the SU office and find out who gave them permission to be there.

Yeah I know, SU know nothing about it and are looking into it. Apparently they didn't give them permission to be there. I've heard a rumour they are there with the Chaplaincy office, that's only a rumour though. If someone went to security and asked if they have permission to be there and that they are offending a lot of people it might be a good idea, I can't go to security though they really don't like me.

Louise just told me they have received numerous complaints about it and they are heading over to investigate it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Seren_ wrote: »
    Set up forwarding to gmail/whatever you use for your personal email. You can set it to send stuff from your @nuim.ie email too. Seriously, the webmail has to be the worst email provider thingy that I've ever used. Even worse than Outlook! haven't logged into it in about four years.

I had it set up before but no, thank you. The amount of spam I had on my actual email was just ridiculous especially I get a notification on my phone every time I get an email and I just want that for important stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Why am I always off when these wagons are around? Where were they when I had 3 hours to kill on Monday? - free entertainment watching these clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quaverlou

Hi guys

Louise here, can anyone who was offended by these leaflets please email me at vpcsud@nuimsu.com with complaints

We are taking this very seriously and need to have complaints sent in to act on anything

Lou

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I have zero desire to return on campus - I'm well saturated with Maynooth at this stage! - but I would so go back for a debate on ''Ban things we don't like / free speech."

Would flippin' own the free speech side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Those celibacy pamphlets hit the Maynooth Freshers page on Facebook, ****storm would be an understatement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Are there new pamphlets? Or are these just the same ones being handed out again?

I was stirring my coffee beside a chastity table or something today at about 5. I heard this earnest young man deep in conversation with a lady. He was telling her about how evolution has no scientific basis whatsoever. Methinks he has no idea what the Vatican's position is on anything.

Assuming he's Catholic...

• Advertisement

Got some of their literature today, mother of god its ridiculous. Some of my politics class talked to them but it's almost impossible to debate with these people.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Are there new pamphlets? Or are these just the same ones being handed out again?

I was stirring my coffee beside a chastity table or something today at about 5. I heard this earnest young man deep in conversation with a lady. He was telling her about how evolution has no scientific basis whatsoever. Methinks he has no idea what the Vatican's position is on anything.

Assuming he's Catholic...

The same little bookmark ones, but they have little books too.

Apparently it is the Legion of Mary, Catholic group alright, was expelled from NUIG last week for putting up homophobic propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

I just laughed at these people when they tried to shove their "propaganda" onto me. Saw some guy take a bookmark off them and as he was leaving the Arts building threw it in the bin going out the door.

Anyway what genius on their side thought it would be a good idea having a stand where probably one of the most liberal groups in Irish society, students are studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Anyway what genius on their side thought it would be a good idea having a stand where probably one of the most liberal groups in Irish society, students are studying?

It's probably the same reasoning that leads people to being street preachers. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

What does everyone think of the new NUIM website? Trying to decide if I like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Boeing777 wrote: »
    What does everyone think of the new NUIM website? Trying to decide if I like it or not.

Didn't even notice it had been changed :P

The last one was fine tbh. Although I complain everytime facebook or boards changes then I forget :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Personally I prefer the old one.

• Advertisement

Just took a look at it, looks pretty good I think. Noticed a lot of other university websites have similar layouts.

Advertisement