Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

I'd say it's open from the 27th on, excluding new years eve/day. It's definitely open during exams.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Nearly all the college building, depts etc (including the library! grrr...) are closed until Jan 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Nearly all the college building, depts etc (including the library! grrr...) are closed until Jan 2nd.

I'm shocked that the library is closed this close to exams. Meant I basically had to basically clear the shelves of calculus books on Friday just incase. Instead of taking one or two to study with as normal. :mad:

Although I looked pretty cool staggering out of the library on Friday evening with my weight in math books :cool:

aaabbbb wrote: »
    I'm shocked that the library is closed this close to exams. Meant I basically had to basically clear the shelves of calculus books on Friday just incase. Instead of taking one or two to study with as normal. :mad:

Although I looked pretty cool staggering out of the library on Friday evening with my weight in math books :cool:

Yea I really wasn't impressed. Particularly when I found out at 6 on Friday to find the library already closed! It's totally messing up my plans for the break too as I was hoping to head up and get some work done.

Yea I really wasn't impressed. Particularly when I found out at 6 on Friday to find the library already closed! It's totally messing up my plans for the break too as I was hoping to head up and get some work done.

Suppose theres always the reading room....

But yeah its not great afik the library was open this time last year

Dunno why they didn't just open it as self service like they do the rest of the year after 10 pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Library staff etc. do need time off too tbf. It's the same every year.

Library staff etc. do need time off too tbf. It's the same every year.

And that's fair enough but surely they could do a rota for the few days between Christmas and New years for just one or two to be in so that students can use the library on a self service basis? We're not asking for the full staff to be in.

The staff need time off but a lot of students really need access to the library at this time of year too.

I kinda half wish there was a uniform for college. Getting up at ridiculous o'clock and deciding what to wear is just awful !

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kragenmore

I kinda half wish there was a uniform for college. Getting up at ridiculous o'clock and deciding what to wear is just awful !

i just wear the same clothes unless i spill something on them... broke and lazy 2k13

kragenmore wrote: »
    i just wear the same clothes unless i spill something on them... broke and lazy 2k13

I'm not so good at the whole showering everyday thing , so I try to compensate by changing my clothes everyday but finding clean ones can be a challenge sometimes along with something comfortable.

A uniform would eliminate all this, well that is of course provided mammy doesnt forget to wash it :p

• Advertisement

I'm not so good at the whole showering everyday thing , so I try to compensate by changing my clothes everyday but finding clean ones can be a challenge sometimes along with something comfortable.

A uniform would eliminate all this, well that is of course provided mammy doesnt forget to wash it :p

right? like when i hear people wanting to eliminate school uniforms, i wonder how much they hate school kids. why would you wish non-uniform life on anyone??

right? like when i hear people wanting to eliminate school uniforms, i wonder how much they hate school kids. why would you wish non-uniform life on anyone??

They're clearly just jealous they don't get to wear one

As for the kids wanting to get rid of them , they clearly don't know how good they have it. At least I didn't until mid-november in 1st year , rolling out of bed at 6:30 am and scrambling to try find something to wear and relising if I'd had a uniform it could all be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I solve that problem by having four identical pairs of blue jeans and fifteen identical black shirts. Wake up. No thinking. Before I know it I'm on the bus fully clothed and fed.

Then I realise I'm on the bus and my day turns to crap but at least it started well.

Happy christmas everyone, by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I love Arcade Fire. Can't wait to see them and Pixies next summer.

Hope everyone is having a great xmas and not studying too hard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

576615_546783985364036_491585454_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

I'm such a gonner for these exams :( There's still a good bit of time left to study but ugh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

30nare9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I have an issue with my exams...

My aunt is getting married at the end of May - she is not getting married in Ireland and I will have to fly there on the 26th of June - last year the exams where finished on the 23rd but this year the January exams are going on a bit longer...

In the event that the flight out does clash with an exam will I be allowed to sit it in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

DylanII wrote: »
    In the event that the flight out does clash with an exam will I be allowed to sit it in August?

Yes but you may be limited to a max result of 40%.

DylanII wrote: »
    I have an issue with my exams...

My aunt is getting married at the end of May - she is not getting married in Ireland and I will have to fly there on the 26th of June - last year the exams where finished on the 23rd but this year the January exams are going on a bit longer...

Could be an issue:
    Semester Two Summer Examinations:
    Friday 16th May 2014 to Saturday 31st May 2014 approximately including Saturdays.
    Exams Office Important Dates

I'd be pretty sure that your results will be capped unless you could negotiate with your department but I don't know how well the excuse of a wedding would work.

• Advertisement

cmere do any of you know where i might find the pdf for 2013's summer exams? i just want to see what it was like last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

cmere do any of you know where i might find the pdf for 2013's summer exams? i just want to see what it was like last year

Go here and enter your module codes :)

Beside that link... I'd suggest doing as many as you can. I try and do one a day when studying, first thing in the morning. Book closed, within the time limit, no phone or internet. As one of my tutors said once, it tells you really quickly what you don't know. Then you can go off and learn that stuff. Doing a bunch of them gets you used to the time limits too because a 90 minute exam is way different than the 3 hour LC ones.

Ohhhh he meant the timetable?
    I went looking once to compare with crimbo exams of the previous year. There ended up being enough differences to make it a pointless exercise (for me at least). I wouldn't rely on that at all for judging when you'll be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Ok, the panic is setting in now. :(

I've had waaaayyyyy too much coffee !! Literally feel like a cricket !

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

My motivation is at 0%. Cannot get anything done :( Organic chemistry is a nasty module to study for.

5000 words to be written. I'm on 0. I can't even think about study!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Looking at the study plan I drew up before xmas, don't know whether to laugh or cry. This is why xmas exams are worse - at least in summer there's only a week off and you're still in 'student' mode. I hate this January purgatory every year!

Advertisement