Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Just finished study now, god these late nights are killers...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Honest question here, I have completely fcuked up two exams now upto the point of I think I will beat my previous record of 2% in a geography exam three years ago, was I right to sit these two exams or should I have had a duvet day on both counts and went for the repeats in August instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Honest question here, I have completely fcuked up two exams now upto the point of I think I will beat my previous record of 2% in a geography exam three years ago, was I right to sit these two exams or should I have had a duvet day on both counts and went for the repeats in August instead?

You should have definitely sat the exams. Even if you did as badly as you think at least you know for sure that you weren't ready for the exam as opposed to thinking 'God maybe if I had actually tried to sit it I could have passed''

Good luck , and even if you do fail at least you'll have plenty time to study for the repeat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

So far my exams are going pretty well, but now I have a problem. I have one exam that I am worried about, its is on Wednesday.

But on Wednesday I have two exams - so I have the choice of just studying for the one I find pretty easy and getting a very good result and repeating the hard one in August and get a very good result then, or I can study for both of them, get a decent result in the easy one and a half decent in the hard one.

Its my final year so I can only repeat up to three and I dont know yet whats instore next semester (and Im aiming for a first)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Does anybody know how to sneak up a coffee past the library staff to the 1st floor. I've seen people with coffee up here but Im too worried Id get spotted by staff! Or do they really care?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

qwerty1991 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to sneak up a coffee past the library staff to the 1st floor. I've seen people with coffee up here but Im too worried Id get spotted by staff! Or do they really care?? :)

Use a cardboard box, Metal Gear Solid style.....

!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Use a cardboard box, Metal Gear Solid style.....

!

Only if, when the staff get a whiff of coffee, this gets blasted all over the library

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I literally just walked through with cans of coke and no one seemed to care

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Its only hot drinks that are an issue. Although I've just strolled through with coffee before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Only if, when the staff get a whiff of coffee, this gets blasted all over the library

Cut to a bemused, half asleep librarian groggily staring at you with an exclamation mark over their head...

On an unrelated note, I hate lazy lecturers.

I'm not naming names but there's a lecturer I have who just doesn't give a damn. She hasn't told us the format our exam will be taking. She hasn't given us any indication of what to study (in comparison, for my other two modules I was given a detailed indication of both the format of the exam and what we were to study).

She gave us an assignment (which was poorly made and riddled with errors on her part, but that's another story) to be done over the Christmas break and the study period. But here's the part that's even worse: the deadline for turning in the assignment is this Wednesday. The exam is this Thursday, when all of the people in the class (i.e everybody who is expected to do that assignment) will be in anyway.

So now people who don't live in Maynooth will have to come in from all around for the sole purpose of dropping that assignment in, when she could have just set the deadline as the same day of the exam when everybody was in anyway.

Then there was the small matter of a presentation we had to do which was 100% of one of our modules. She gave the fact pattern for this presentation in-class but several people were missing and the fact pattern was long-winded and difficult to put in notes. Me and a few others requested that she put up this fact pattern on moodle so we could do the assignment as best we could. A week later, she still hadn't put it up. She seems to be averse to moodle.

Then, the day that we were supposed to do the presentation, she puts up the huge fact pattern on moodle, which didn't help anybody whatsoever. Secondly, nobody knew what form to do the presentation in, so when each individual person got to doing their presentation, some were too short, some were too long, some were in the wrong format and were addressed to the wrong audience (I do Law, so some were addressed to the judge, others to the opposition, others to the audience).

To add to all this, the lecturer actually laughed out loud at whatever mistakes we made in our presentations and she also didn't seem to care about balance (she was acting as the judge) because she asked some people ridiculously hard and confusing questions whereas others only got simple fact queries. If I failed this crap, I'm going straight to the department.

Just a small (long?) story about how crap some lecturers can be. Consider yourselves lucky if you don't have lecturers like this. The lecturers I had last year were much better than the bunch this year. At least they replied on moodle and gave us satisfactory guidance for our assignments...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Are you allowed to just skip an exam without good reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

It'll be classified as a fail and you'll have to repeat it. Nobody will ask questions generally but you'll be capped at 40%. I'm thinking of doing the same tomorrow due to some personal circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

JayEnnis wrote: »
    It'll be classified as a fail and you'll have to repeat it. Nobody will ask questions generally but you'll be capped at 40%. I'm thinking of doing the same tomorrow due to some personal circumstances.

Generally you wont be capped at 40% but some departments will have it that way. Most dont cap it.

Its also classified as incomplete rather than a fail.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

You could do what I did and stick two coffees in your back and enter into a very careful balancing act whilst walking in!
    DylanII wrote: »
    So far my exams are going pretty well, but now I have a problem. I have one exam that I am worried about, its is on Wednesday.

But on Wednesday I have two exams - so I have the choice of just studying for the one I find pretty easy and getting a very good result and repeating the hard one in August and get a very good result then, or I can study for both of them, get a decent result in the easy one and a half decent in the hard one.

Its my final year so I can only repeat up to three and I dont know yet whats instore next semester (and Im aiming for a first)

Study for both. If one is easier put more work into the other one. Don't give yourself an automatic repeat when you could surprise yourself and do well. More to the point, you may end up needing a repeat for some other reason so don't risk it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm really worried about what effect repeating an exam will have on my eligibility for grants next year. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

I'm really worried about what effect repeating an exam will have on my eligibility for grants next year. :(

None at all

I thought that it only had an effect if you had to repeat a full year (i.e. pay fees)?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Yeah you just have to tick the box that says you're repeating and if/when you pass and register for the next year, get the form stamped from the records office as normal.

Planemo wrote: »
    Yeah you just have to tick the box that says you're repeating and if/when you pass and register for the next year, get the form stamped from the records office as normal.

Oh, fair enough. That could just be to confirm that you're returning though? I know that I had to do the same because of my deferring. I really don't think that it can affect the actual grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Oh, fair enough. That could just be to confirm that you're returning though? I know that I had to do the same because of my deferring. I really don't think that it can affect the actual grant.
    Yeah that was my point, it might effect the length of time it takes to process but otherwise it's exactly the same as if you didn't sit repeats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

FINISHED MY EXAMS PRAISE THE LORD JESUS CHRIST FOR HE IS GOOD

3x3 hour exams in 4 days should be illegal... Only slept for 18 hours since Saturday.. time to hibernate

<3

Planemo wrote: »
    Yeah that was my point, it might effect the length of time it takes to process but otherwise it's exactly the same as if you didn't sit repeats.

Sorry. You said eligibility so I thought you meant that doing repeats would stop you actually getting the grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

What is the procedure for paying the second half of the fee for the year? Have heard nothing about it at all :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

andrew369 wrote: »
    What is the procedure for paying the second half of the fee for the year? Have heard nothing about it at all :confused:
    No idea. I assume they'll send out an email about it in a week or two though. Think it's meant to be paid by end of January.

Eh, so I saw that they had giant Operation and Connect 4 in the SU today? And puppies tomorrow?? Why does all the cool stuff happen when I'm away?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The first thing I thought of when I saw "puppies in the SU" is that "Breaking Good" picture of Walt and Jesse cuddling puppies. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Speaking of grants if I apply for a grant next year do I apply to susi or my local co co since I started college in 2011 before SUSI existed ?

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Speaking of grants if I apply for a grant next year do I apply to susi or my local co co since I started college in 2011 before SUSI existed ?
    Did you get a grant from the county council before? If you did, you apply to them. If not, you apply to SUSI.

The county council one is assuming that you're doing the same course as when you got a grant from them before. If you're starting a new course, you've to apply to SUSI.

Seren_ wrote: »
    Did you get a grant from the county council before? If you did, you apply to them. If not, you apply to SUSI.

The county council one is assuming that you're doing the same course as when you got a grant from them before. If you're starting a new course, you've to apply to SUSI.

No I applied for one before in 2011 but I was just over the income limit at the time so it was rejected. My sister should be starting college in September so that changes things a little.

I'm still doing the same course also.

aaabbbb wrote: »
    No I applied for one before in 2011 but I was just over the income limit at the time so it was rejected. My sister should be starting college in September so that changes things a little.

I'm still doing the same course also.
    So it would be SUSI you'd have to apply to by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement

Seren_ wrote: »
    So it would be SUSI you'd have to apply to by the sounds of it.

Cool thanks :)

Advertisement