Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I consider that small, seeing as you can set the price yourself. Mind you, I'm comparing to normal shops. You try and sell your books to a second hand bookshop like Chapters. I did that once, never again. They gave me 2 quid per book. I went back in with another box the following week (being desperate at the time). On the way to the counter I passed one of the books I'd left in the previous week marked up to 18 quid. Turned around and walked out.

Anyway. Yes, I consider it small, but maybe I just feel like I'm contributing to the SU in some small way.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

mickstupp wrote: »
    Anyway. Yes, I consider it small, but maybe I just feel like I'm contributing to the SU in some small way.

I already contribute to the SU to the tune of €100 a year! They can get to fúck, sell it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Planemo wrote: »
    I already contribute to the SU to the tune of €100 a year! They can get to fúck, sell it yourself.
    Right. Well... I don't.

But so much for me making a suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

mickstupp wrote: »
    Do you guys not sell them through the SU shop? I did that last year and made a bunch of cash.
    EDIT: Also you don't have to deal with people calling you and texting you, so you sell your books with no effort, and because they take a small cut, you feel like you're helping out a bit. Or at least I do.

So if you set the price of a book as a tenner, they'll give you 7.50 for it? That's not so bad! Might head in with some books on Tuesday! :)

(Obviously the book is worth more than a tenner and it's in near perfect condition but a tenner is enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭whats_my_name

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Math results are out today

Okay, was not expecting that!! So I'm either celebrating or drowning my sorrows tomorrow night!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I'm kinda thinking I want to email my lecturer just to say thanks for all his help through the semester and that I finally passed his exam after 3 years (though he obv knows this part)

I really didn't leave him alone the whole semester and he was even willing to see me over the Xmas break and answer my questions when he could have easily just said no.

I'm just not sure if this would be really weird / un-orthodox ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm kinda thinking I want to email my lecturer just to say thanks for all his help through the semester and that I finally passed his exam after 3 years (though he obv knows this part)

I really didn't leave him alone the whole semester and he was even willing to see me over the Xmas break and answer my questions when he could have easily just said no.

I'm sure he would be delighted to get that e-mail. Why would he not??

TheBody wrote: »
    I'm sure he would be delighted to get that e-mail. Why would he not??

No idea , he's like a proper country farmer and can be rather direct so I wasn't sure if it'd be taken weirdly :pac:

No idea , he's like a proper country farmer and can be rather direct so I wasn't sure if it'd be taken weirdly :pac:

As long as you don't attach any nude photos, I don't see how anybody could take it as weird!!

Congrat's on passing by the way!!

As long as you don't attach any nude photos, I don't see how anybody could take it as weird!!

Congrats on passing by the way!!

Thanks :D I'm delighted , though typically since I got 68% I'm pissed I missed out on a first by 2%. It would have just been really nice to have failed last year getting 9% and then coming out with a 1st now !! :p

There's always the next round of exams though ! :D

No hope of any nude photos !! :pac: Might throw in a heifer or two though , he's into the dairy so might appreciate that :cool:

• Advertisement

Thanks :D I'm delighted , though typically since I got 68% I'm pissed I missed out on a first by 2%. It would have just been really nice to have failed last year getting 9% and then coming out with a 1st now !! :p

There's always the next round of exams though ! :D

No hope of any nude photos !! :pac: Might throw in a heifer or two though , he's into the dairy so might appreciate that :cool:

WOW :eek: !!! You went from 9% to 68%!! That's amazing. You should be very proud of yourself.

WOW :eek: !!! You went from 9% to 68%!! That's amazing. You should be very proud of yourself.

I'm happy , unfortunately I'm one of those annoying people who even if they got 100% wouldn't be satisfied :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Ciaran? I'd say he'd really appreciate it and congratulations on the result. That's some improvement.

decisions wrote: »
    Ciaran? I'd say he'd really appreciate it and congratulations on the result. That's some improvement.

Yep the man himself :)

I think I might do it now :) I just didn't want to seem like an absolute freak :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yep the man himself :)

I think I might do it now :) I just didn't want to seem like an absolute freak :pac:

Ciaran has student's come onto him all the time, he wont find it unusual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

GarIT wrote: »

Yeh, I spent a good half hour in his office going through an assignment with him. He's dead on.

Yeh, I spent a good half hour in his office going through an assignment with him. He's dead on.

I think you misread my post, in one of my lectures some of the girls were putting their phone numbers on the sign in sheet.

I think you misread my post, in one of my lectures some of the girls were putting their phone numbers on the sign in sheet.[/QUOTE]

Are ya serious? Ha ha!!

Are ya serious? Ha ha!!

Yeah, at the end of every term Ciaran goes to the Roost on the last Thursday from 6 until it's crowded. Just to chat and drink etc, I was there last year and a few of the girls were wearing less than Halloween.

I don't get it at all but some girls are mad about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

He nearly made me and my friend pick maths during the talks on the orientation week :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I have no idea who this person is but I feel like I need to see a picture of him now!

Edit: I used my mad detective skillz and found him.. bit of a hottie alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Ciarán is brilliant! He's so approachable and always there for any student that may require his assistance. He was always the one in the MSC that everyone waited hours just for him to come to their table. I'd say he'd really appreciate that email if you sent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Stephen92

Hey aaabbb,
    I can safely say after knowing Ciaran for almost 4 years now he appreciates all emails he gets. But he's just happy to help a student that puts the work in so seeing that you passed would have been his (for lack of a better word) reward.

WOOOOOAHHHH DEFINITELY NOT coming onto him !! :pac:

Though part of my hesitating to send the email was him maybe thinking slightly that 'cos I know it does happen

He really is , I've spent hours in his office with endless questions and he's always happy to help even when it might not be the most convenient time.
    I think you misread my post, in one of my lectures some of the girls were putting their phone numbers on the sign in sheet.

I remember that , I also know some of the girls who did it sadly :pac:

It happened last year too , though not so much this year when his cousin is in the class funereally enough
    Yeah, at the end of every term Ciaran goes to the Roost on the last Thursday from 6 until it's crowded. Just to chat and drink etc, I was there last year and a few of the girls were wearing less than Halloween.

I don't get it at all but some girls are mad about him.

When we were in first year I recall him actually having an xmas party for students in the su ?

He has that whole masculine , rough and ready shall we say type thing going I suppose and well road frontage ;)

Not really my cup of tea though !:pac:
    Stephen92 wrote: »
    Hey aaabbb,
    I can safely say after knowing Ciaran for almost 4 years now he appreciates all emails he gets. But he's just happy to help a student that puts the work in so seeing that you passed would have been his (for lack of a better word) reward.

Yeah I kinda got that , I just feel like I want to say thanks all the same :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Does anyone know if you get an email if you failed the maths? Won't get to see results till Monday, almost certain i failed.

lisar816 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you get an email if you failed the maths? Won't get to see results till Monday, almost certain i failed.

I'm not too sure on that, but I know I got a letter from the maths department pretty soon after the results were out with an FAQ type of thing on what is the next step for you.

Boeing777 wrote: »
    I'm not too sure on that, but I know I got a letter from the maths department pretty soon after the results were out with an FAQ type of thing on what is the next step for you.

Oh right, so it would be after you knew your result then, i had a slight hope that i might of passed because i have yet to receive an email, well i can still hope, ha.

lisar816 wrote: »
    Oh right, so it would be after you knew your result then, i had a slight hope that i might of passed because i have yet to receive an email, well i can still hope, ha.

Yeah, probably next week *if* you failed. Don't be worrying about it, I failed maths in both semesters and I still passed the year by compensation without having to do repeats. It's really not a big deal if you fail this exam, which I'm sure you wont :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Failed all Maths modules last year and passed the repeats. Sure be grand.

• Advertisement

Got 17 in maths calculus, does this mean there is no hope of compensation? On the other hand got 51 in linear algebra delighted with that..

Advertisement