Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

DylanII wrote: »
    Why cant the departments just post the results on Moodle?

We got an email to say that the results where now on the notice board on Friday evening, and also informed us that the building would now be locked until Monday morning... It would take a whole of 10 seconds to upload the results to moodle, or even wait until we can actually go see them before telling us about them.

I agree! For the first time the Biology department put their results on Moodle. Rumour has it that the Chemistry department will follow suit some day next week. All results should definitely be on moodle, it's far more practical and efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Yay - XxMCRxBabyxX will be an awesome mod :) Have fun getting used to all the new buttons! And the coke and hookers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

We got an email to say that the results where now on the notice board on Friday evening, and also informed us that the building would now be locked until Monday morning... It would take a whole of 10 seconds to upload the results to moodle, or even wait until we can actually go see them before telling us about them.
    It's simple cruelty. So many of them live such joyless lives that the only way they can feel good is by inflicting pain on us hapless students.

Besides that... my general rule of thumb is: This is Ireland, so if it's something that would make sense, it probably won't happen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I've just found out that History is up on the noticeboard if it's relevant to anyone! The place will be packed on Mon so I'm thinking of leaving it til the evening or Tues morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I think you should go with the crowd. I know it probably sounds weird or dumb... but some of my strongest/best memories in college (despite the odd disappointment) come from everyone crowding around searching for their results, sharing in each other's good marks and commiserating with the bad ones. It was never the same when I went to the board on my own. Instead of being exciting it was only nerve-wracking. Maybe that sounds insane.

• Advertisement

mickstupp wrote: »
    I think you should go with the crowd. I know it probably sounds weird or dumb... but some of my strongest/best memories in college (despite the odd disappointment) come from everyone crowding around searching for their results, sharing in each other's good marks and commiserating with the bad ones. It was never the same when I went to the board on my own. Instead of being exciting it was only nerve-wracking. Maybe that sounds insane.

You didn't see me get my results last week. I think I'm better on my own. I get what you mean though. Fighting through the crowds is always annoying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

I've just found out that History is up on the noticeboard if it's relevant to anyone! The place will be packed on Mon so I'm thinking of leaving it til the evening or Tues morning.

Must... Get.... Results. Are you in 3rd year? Literally nothing I studied came up in HY310 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I can't understand it, I said this to the secretary for my department last week when she said they'd be posted on the noticeboard and she just ignored me.
    My course / people in it are ridiculously competitive so it'll be a case of when they all go away from around me before I check mine. The stories I could tell about how ridiculous some of them are at comparing grades / essay marks and the rest this year are actually unbelievable.

Must... Get.... Results. Are you in 3rd year? Literally nothing I studied came up in HY310 :pac:

I am indeed! I managed to get essays in. How I actually did on them is a totally different story though!

Still, it's better than I'll do on HY311!

• Advertisement

I am indeed! I managed to get essays in. How I actually did on them is a totally different story though!

Still, it's better than I'll do on HY311!

HY311 is the highlight of everyone's week! The lectures are rivetting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Does Gerry Moran still teach HY311? Thought his lectures were pretty good (well the 5or 6 of them that I actually went to).

Seren_ wrote: »
    Does Gerry Moran still teach HY311? Thought his lectures were pretty good (well the 5or 6 of them that I actually went to).

Unfortunately not. There's a new course and lecturer this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Is there anything to say that lectures have to be taught through English? I don't understand the language my software engineering lecturer is using at all. All her words are either half finished or twice as long as they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Does anyone know anything about first year results for economics, politics or philosophy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

GarIT wrote: »
    Is there anything to say that lectures have to be taught through English? I don't understand the language my software engineering lecturer is using at all. All her words are either half finished or twice as long as they should be.

I did bad enough in Software Testing, I don't need another challenge like that. :(

Does anyone know anything about claiming extenuating circumstances over exam results? Is it possible?

68 average in History, absolutely de-liiiiiight-ed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Does anyone know anything about claiming extenuating circumstances over exam results? Is it possible?

Yes, generally means you won't be capped at 40% if you repeat, pop into Rose in Academic Advisory and also email your lecturer and department, if illness was the reason see your gp asap and get a sick cert for the exams office and department in question.

Wait till you hear this...

The chemistry department released every years results today except 2nd year :(:mad: I'm sure there's a reason for it, but UGH :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Passed all of my CS modules. Failed maths, but sure.

I passed Maths but failed software testing by <5%.

To be fair, I ended up mixing up the dates for my software testing and computer architecture exams. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Is this a results thread now? :P Firsted all my CS modules :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Got some more results today but I'm still waiting on 2... I'm going mad waiting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

No results yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

No results yet :pac:

Did you get the email about it? They're supposed to be up on the board on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Just a query- how many hours do you guys have a week? I have 10 a week I believe but because my bus times are really inflexible, I have to spend at the very least 4 hours a day and at most 9 hours a day in college...I wish there was a train station in Navan so the times would be more flexible. I'm trying to move up to NUIM next year partially because of this.

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Just a query- how many hours do you guys have a week? I have 10 a week I believe but because my bus times are really inflexible, I have to spend at the very least 4 hours a day and at most 9 hours a day in college...I wish there was a train station in Navan so the times would be more flexible. I'm trying to move up to NUIM next year partially because of this.

In theory: 20 hours
    In reality: 30-40 hours between randomly scheduled tutorials, workshops, placement preparation work etc.

I commute too and it's such a rarity that I can get the 3pm bus home. I'm nearly always in college 9-6 every day except Thursday because I'm on placement then.

EDIT: Sorry, just read this back and it sounded as if I'm complaining which I'm not. I've had similar hours last year so I'm used to it at this stage. Plus not every week is as busy as specified above.

I have 9 hours this semester and had 12 last. I think that, with regards to arts and social science subjects anyway, the basic idea is that you have an hour per 2.5 credits so I have 2 hours for my 5 crediters, 2 hours and a tutorial for my 7.5 etc.

I don't know how that works for science though and I do know that I had a 2.5cr reading module with no hours last semester so it's not exact.

EDIT: I'm lucky in that I live on campus so I'm not so much stuck with free hours unable to go home

• Advertisement

I've got 22 hours of lectures and labs each week, and that's before I get to the three projects I'm meant to do.

Advertisement