Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

18 hours of class, but then there's always other talks, meetings, group project work and stuff on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

18 hours of lectures/labs and 27 including free periods. The two hour blocks are always good to go to the gym/read/do an assignment/etc. it's the hour breaks wasted on internet or food treks that get you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I've 17 hours a week this semester, but I always have a few hours off between lectures which means I'm around college for a lot longer than that. I don't mind it at all though, it means I can catch up on study, get tutorial questions done and spend time with friends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

I have 9 hours this semester and had 12 last. I think that, with regards to arts and social science subjects anyway, the basic idea is that you have an hour per 2.5 credits so I have 2 hours for my 5 crediters, 2 hours and a tutorial for my 7.5 etc.

I don't know how that works for science though and I do know that I had a 2.5cr reading module with no hours last semester so it's not exact.

EDIT: I'm lucky in that I live on campus so I'm not so much stuck with free hours unable to go home

Yeah I'd love to get accommodation for next year...its would be so much simpler than having to come in really early even if I have a lecture at 5pm.

For example, I have to do tutorials next month. These tutorials are only available to do on Mondays. I'm usually off on Mondays, so I have to come in on an early bus just for one tutorial, its almost pointless, but I appreciate that my class is very small (15 or so) so I don't expect the department to bend over backwards to accommodate us.

When would you guys recommend I start looking for accommodation? I'm new to this whole staying up in college thing, but me and two others are thinking of starting to look in March. I don't want to post this in the accommodation superthread for fear of being premature...
    The two hour blocks are always good to go to the gym/read/do an assignment/etc. it's the hour breaks wasted on internet or food treks that get you.

I love me them two hour blocks for just chilling and watching some TV shows. I don't seem to have many assignments this year. Last year I had a big paper to do and a few other things that just leeched my time. But I got them done very early (maybe this much spare time is a blessing after all?) and sat back until the run up to the exams started.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone else having a problem getting online today through nuim wireless, hasn't connected for me all morning, I am using my iPhone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Yep, I couldnt connect at all this morning on my phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭upinthesky

yep, me too, think the portal is down..

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Can someone help me out here cause I'm starring to get really pi**ed off. I was planning on taking 1:05 bus going from NUIM to Newbridge (I'm talking about Carlow route) it never showed up. So I called JJKavanagh and I was told that the bus doesn't go till 3:05, okay no problem, I just didnt know that the bus Im going to take goes to Newbridge not Carlow. Either way one at 1:05 did not show up. Did anyone else had the same problem with these buses? Also is 'Kilcock Road Bus stop (near Aldi)' Bus Eireann stop near enough to the library traffic lights?

lisar816 wrote: »
    yep, me too, think the portal is down..
    Use Eduroam. That's what I'm using right now and it's working perfectly

Eduroam doesn't recognize my student number/password; it's a balls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Paczini wrote: »
    Can someone help me out here cause I'm starring to get really pi**ed off. I was planning on taking 1:05 bus going from NUIM to Newbridge (I'm talking about Carlow route) it never showed up. So I called JJKavanagh and I was told that the bus doesn't go till 3:05, okay no problem, I just didnt know that the bus Im going to take goes to Newbridge not Carlow. Either way one at 1:05 did not show up. Did anyone else had the same problem with these buses? Also is 'Kilcock Road Bus stop (near Aldi)' Bus Eireann stop near enough to the library traffic lights?

Were you waiting at aldi for the 1.05? Because that one leaves from outside Phoenix afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Paczini wrote: »

My friend got a JJ Kavanagh bus to Carlow today and it went @ 14:30 from Aldi. She gets it there every week. Not sure if that's helpful to you at all.

jubella wrote: »
    Were you waiting at aldi for the 1.05? Because that one leaves from outside Phoenix afaik.
    Yea I was waiting at aldi and it didn't go from there. I had to take 3:05 bus instead :/ Seriously from now on, every time I will plan on taking this bus I'm gonna call JJKavanagh to ask where is the bus leaving from :/ It's not the first time I missed it either. These timetables are VERY confusing :/

St Vincent gig was awwwwwwwwesome. But I think I'm getting another cold, just a week after my last one! Ridiculous. I must be run down or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Anyone else get added by a possibly fake profile recently? It's a Lisa something (won't say the full name just in case), didn't accept, but had a snoop. They seem to have a decent knowledge of Maynooth and surrounding areas - it says they're a cashier in Dunnes. A few things struck me: there are two profile pictures, a cover photo and a timeline post, all in the last 21 hours; no mutual friends and only a few women have added it, I thought must be because women are less likely to accept a strange girl adding them (you know why men would); might not be strange, but it has the hometown as Dublin but living elsewhere, despite attending Maynooth. Usually wouldn't bother, but because of this I reverse image searched the profile pictures (which looked like slightly different people but could be just the photos) and found instances of the photos throughout the internet; one of which comes from a model called Ashlee Holmes' "selfie" album.

These spam profiles, if it is one, have come up every now and then, but this one is unusual in that it's quite well researched about Maynooth and the surrounding areas. Don't really care either way, just found it a bit odd.

Internet is still not connecting, between this and the lift in St Patricks not working I'm a sad panda, my three phone all you can eat data ran out on Friday and the clowns charged me €12 for using the Internet on my phone over the course of the last 32 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You could say Three are...robbing bandits. :pac:

You could say Three are...robbing bandits. :pac:

Nice Papal Decree ;)

I hear there's a second ATM on campus now.

THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Seren_ wrote: »
    I hear there's a second ATM on campus now.

THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

Do you know where it is?

• Advertisement

Haven't a notion. A friend of mine posted it on facebook. So obviously that means it's true.

Is there an unofficial facebook page for NUI Maynooth? I don't really use facebook to know these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is it the Carlow campus? :pac:

There's a post on the SU page about it, so it must be true. Not sure where they're putting it, library maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Seren_ wrote: »
    There's a post on the SU page about it, so it must be true. Not sure where they're putting it, library maybe?

I'd presume it'd be in the South Campus. Could put one in the AIB branch in John Hume (Doesn't make sense but these are banks...) or even the Phoenix.

Though I'm just happy I there's a second ATM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I heard that it was going to be in the SU. Very much doubt one will be on the South Campus with all the bureaucracy involved.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I heard that it was going to be in the SU. Very much doubt one will be on the South Campus with all the bureaucracy involved.

I'm inclined to agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

If the second ATM is in Phoenix you'll probably have to buy something to use it... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Lads, beers. Are gonna ever do these or what?!

• Advertisement

Proof that science and religion don't get along the lift in St Patricks is still broke with no sign of being fixed.

Advertisement