Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

4BuvqN4.jpg

SU really needs to work on its transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

banquo wrote: »
    SU really needs to work on its transparency.

I think they should get a red batphone type job that automatically calls all the hyper offended people of maynooth and vets everything from the colour of the decorations to wording of the posters to the angle of the lights, just incase any of it objectifies anybody (except white straight men ofcourse, nobody cares about them)

Hahahahaha.

*wipes tear*

• Registered Users Posts: 11 storm42

I think they should get a red batphone type job that automatically calls all the hyper offended people of maynooth and vets everything from the colour of the decorations to wording of the posters to the angle of the lights, just incase any of it objectifies anybody (except white straight men ofcourse, nobody cares about them)

Please, stop. People have a right to be angry about this and degrading issues like this to mere jokes just further proves how much Maynooth, and much of its student population, needs to adjust its behaviour.

• Advertisement

Whole thing is a joke in fairness.

But please do go on about this behavioural adjustment that everyone needs. Where do I sign up for my mandatory re-education?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

storm42 wrote: »
    Please, stop. People have a right to be angry about this and degrading issues like this to mere jokes just further proves how much Maynooth, and much of its student population, needs to adjust its behaviour.

storm42 in a teacup

storm42 in a teacup

boom_e111cd_2329231.jpg

And now I'm logging off because I'm well wandering into ban territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EWong

Whole thing is a joke in fairness.

But please do go on about this behavioural adjustment that everyone needs. Where do I sign up for my mandatory re-education?

Nah the only joke in this situation is that people are being completely flippant about the fact that some people, you know, might actually be upset about women being paid to strip in an event associated with the university. If you think that being upset about that and wanting answers is a joke, then yeah, I think a behavioural adjustment is the last thing needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

EWong wrote: »
    Nah the only joke in this situation is that people are being completely flippant about the fact that some people, you know, might actually be upset about women being paid to strip in an event associated with the university. If you think that being upset about that and wanting answers is a joke, then yeah, I think a behavioural adjustment is the last thing needed here.

Was the problem that they stripped, or that they were paid (by non SU funding)

• Advertisement

Lots of people are understandably upset and angry about this. They are allowed to be. It wouldn't be a problem if the event in question didn't associate with Maynooth or take place in the SU bar. Not everyone wants their college to be associated with events where strippers are hired and NUIM officials did nothing.

1312588-cartoonstorminmotion.gif

"Readjustment commencing."

Was the problem that they stripped, or that they were paid (by non SU funding)

If you're trying to insinuate that this is a "ugggggh stripping is sooo demeaning to women weeeeeeh" thing you're sorely mistaken but i'm sure as hell not happy to have to read that article and see that that's the way people are going to interpret the universitys attitude towards women. It's not fair to the univeristy and to the people who do good work in the SU to get the reputation as the university that likes to allow women to come and strip for male students on campus grounds.

Is it really too much to ask for people to take issues seriously and not be so flippent and, quite frankly, childish?

This is not some kind of war against stripping. I want to know for certain whether or not SU funds were used to pay for women to come in and strip for male students inside the Maynooth Students Union. People have tried to access the accounts but apparently they have gone missing?

Edit: the last line there was a genuine question and I just wanted to see if other people had heard more than I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

I wish I was around when Banquo was in charge :(

I don't think strippers are fussy about who they strip for tbh.

I don't think strippers are fussy about who they strip for tbh.

because women who chose to strip for a living OBVIOUSLY have no standards or self respect right?? haha. ha. also that is clearly not the issue here :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Right, I know that Thwip! is on his way in with an official line and policy for this discussion but for now can we please CALM THE F**K DOWN and at least try stick on topic. And civil! Let's be civil

...no?

Anyway, I'm treating it flippantly because it deserves to be. It was an accident. There are very often dancers at SU and, you know, various events. It's not bad or uncommon.

Dancers were hired, turned out to be strippers. I know if I was throwing a party and had hired dancers, and they turned out to be strippers, I'd think it was kinda funny.

There' an SU election on and this is like the one time of year that students actually learn about the SAF and the difference between compulsory and required modules and all the other stuff that won't have died down in a week. But this stupid temporary thing came up and because silly people are serious about it so must the rest of us be.

Wow wow wow that no was at the post before MCRbaby's! Before!

Before!

• Advertisement

47009233.jpg

and then this happens...
    47009320.jpg

Yeah, fair enough but I'm not 100% sure why someone would hire an exotic dancer and then be like omg! they stripped! totally didn't see that one coming?! I don't have a problem with the strippers or the stripping itself - people gonna do what they wanna do and that's up to them but i don't see what's so bad about wanting a statement and an explanation from the SU and the university itself to get it cleared up? It's not too much to ask, and i'm sure as hell not saying that everyone needs to be super disgusted by this and take up arms against Mal or whatever but also maybe don't tell the people that are upset that they're acting ridiculously and mock their posts.

Also to MCR Baby! Definitely not trying to start an argument, just want to get my point across clearly and as politely as possible!

Wow wow wow that no was at the post before MCRbaby's! Before!

Before!

That ban territory is getting closer and closer all of a sudden...

Ah. It's because they can't until Wednesday, because they stepped down for election. That's why no official statement, they can't do any official work!

Man i'm not even registered to vote legally, I don't know what the heck is going on with SU elections except people are throwing flyers at me left right and centre :/ thanks for clearing that up though, hope they get this sorted asap cause it's really annoying.

On the event page it said "Also, stag party with strippers on Monday/Tuesday (need to see when my strippers are free)", this also claims to be written by Mal.

So I think they knew they were strippers and not just dancers.

Funny story about banning: Yeeeaarrss ago around the inception of boards my friend wanted his username changed to Jim, so he asked one of the supermods. Dude was like "Arg, there's already a user called Jim. Buuuuuuut he only signed up this morning."

/looks left
    /looks right
    /user permabanned

"Enjoy your new username, Jim!"

On the event page it said "Also, stag party with strippers on Monday/Tuesday (need to see when my strippers are free)", this also claims to be written by Mal.

So I think they knew they were strippers and not just dancers.

I genuinely believe that was a throwaway comment. They were advertised as dancers all over the place but that one time is the only reference to strippers. I'd say the dancers were hired as like "pretend strippers" because, obviously, nobody would think it's a good idea to hire actual strippers.

I think that everyone can agree that the university being associated with paying women to strip for male students in the SU is just not a good public image at all and doesn't exactly help the fact that nuim gets complained about a lot in the community for being a place where the students don't really give a crap about much more than drinking and acting like thicks. The sooner the uni deals with this and the people responsible the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Is it really too much to ask for people to take issues seriously and not be so flippent and, quite frankly, childish?

This is not some kind of war against stripping. I want to know for certain whether or not SU funds were used to pay for women to come in and strip for male students inside the Maynooth Students Union. People have tried to access the accounts but apparently they have gone missing?

Evidence for your last statement. Hate this conjecture stuff. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen

RIGHT FOLKS, SO HERE'S HOW IT'S GOING TO GO DOWN!

FROM HERE ON OUT WE ARE TAKING NO CRAP WITH THIS TOPIC. NOT ONE IOTA.

YOU CAN'T KEEP IT CIVIL? THEN BOOM, INFRACTION!

YOU WANNA MAKE ACCUSATIONS WITHOUT ANYTHING TO BACK THEM UP BEYOND CONJECTURE? THEN THAT'S A HELLABOOM INFRACTION FOR YOU. YOU DO NOT HAVE FREEDOM TO SAY WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT HERE WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE. YOU WILL NOT LEAVE BOARDS.IE OPEN TO LIBEL.

YOU WANNA USE THIS EVENT TO FURTHER A PERSONAL VENDETTA? BEST BELIEVE THAT'S AN INFRACTION, SON

CAN'T SETTLE THIS LIKE CIVIL GROWN-UPS? THEN WE'RE NOT GONNA GET ALONG AND PRETTY SOON IT'LL BE

thor___stop_hammer_time_by_caycowa-d5ap6mi.png

DON'T LIKE THESE NEW GUIDELINES? TOUGH, DEAL WITH IT OR KEEP SCROLLING

HERE'S WHAT WE KNOW (will update as we go along and more comes to light)

• Event was billed as having "Exotic Dancers" (at least on the online marketing side of things)
    • It happened last Monday
    • Said dancers turned out to be full on strippers and went about a full display of that in the latter part of their performance
    • Aforementioned dancers were organised by non-members of the SU exec and were paid to appear at Mal's stag. We do not yet fully know with whose money these ladies were paid (anyone with evidence of how feel free to PM me and I'll amend this)
    • Many SU patrons felt uncomfortable during the stripping part of the performance as did apparently many of the people who attended for them, believing them to be exotic dancers and not full on strippers
    • They cost €300
    • Members of the SU Exec were in attendance
    • No effort was made to stop the performance, though this seems to be a time issue more than an appeasement issue
    • Ben, Louise and Mal have all stepped down for the period of the elections so are not officially members of the SU right now, hence the lack of an official release
    • The entire event was brought to the attention of a newspaper

*apologies to anyone who has to view this on a phone with a limited data plan.

tumblr_mmhk5fwI9r1qcvteuo1_r1_500.gif

Advertisement