Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

aaabbbb wrote: »
    I'm looking for a word right now but my brain has seemingly lost its grasp of the english language !

Whats the word when someone is laughing at someone else's appearance etc when they themselves are probably no better ?

My brain keeps insisting its conceited no matter how many times I say no brain wrong definition !

Hypocrite? Rich? Joan Rivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Planemo wrote: »
    Hypocrite? Rich? Joan Rivers?

No not hypocrite theres some other word !

This is really annoying :pac:

No not hypocrite theres some other word !

This is really annoying :pac:

Superficial !

Boom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Can anyone tell me where the earliest place will be open on saturday morning, i'm going to be in at about 7 and looking for somewhere to look over notes..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Arts Block is open 7am to 11pm every day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭upinthesky

banquo wrote: »
    Arts Block is open 7am to 11pm every day :)

Perfect thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Whatever you do , keep that dominoes away from XxxMCRBabyxxX :pac:

Unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Lads, has the security around exam hall been beefed up at all? I have a lot of stuff on the ole MBP, but don't fancy bringing it in if it is at any risk of being stolen!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Don't leave it unattended, there were no cameras around there a couple of years ago and I've absolute no reason to believe that any have been installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

marko93 wrote: »
    Lads, has the security around exam hall been beefed up at all? I have a lot of stuff on the ole MBP, but don't fancy bringing it in if it is at any risk of being stolen!

Definitely leave it at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 HARVEY_KINKLE

Gym lockers are fairly safe..........although they lock automatically after 2hrs but still safe

• Registered Users Posts: 11 HARVEY_KINKLE

I haven't set foot outside the library since 8.30am, for all I know there could be a zombie apocalypse outside, oh well, we had a good run

Just a thought from talking to other people in different colleges and they were amazed that our exams had our names on them instead of an exam number.
    Should our exams be anonymous?
    I think it's very unfair that they're not really. I've never had a bad run in with a lecturer or anything but I'm sure many have and feel like they were hard done by in the exam because of it.

It wouldn't do much good because (in my course anyway) the sign in sheets for lectures make you write your student number beside your name so if a lecturer really had a grudge against you, they'd still be able to ID you from your number.

It wouldn't do much good because (in my course anyway) the sign in sheets for lectures make you write your student number beside your name so if a lecturer really had a grudge against you, they'd still be able to ID you from your number.

The lecturer's have acess to the college data base with all you info of you and a lovely picture of you too !

So if they really really really had it in for you and were bored that summer they could still match you up to your student number :)

Afik all they need to do is enter your student number into that data base and out you pop !

Though now that you've mentioned it I never actally gave it a 2nd thought writing my name on my paper

Aye, I thought there'd be something like that.

Aye, I thought there'd be something like that.

Its a bit creepy sitting in an office with a lecturer and with that tiny bit of info that is your student number theyre able to tell you so much personal info !

And also having a giant version of your student card picture staring back at you ! :pac:

Its a bit creepy sitting in an office with a lecturer and with that tiny bit of info that is your student number theyre able to tell you so much personal info !

And also having a giant version of your student card picture staring back at you ! :pac:

I went on a trip for a module (basically a whole module in a week) and our lecture was able to tell us all who were as soon as we got on the bus. It was kind of creepy alright. You worry about how much that great database actually knows!

I went on a trip for a module (basically a whole module in a week) and our lecture was able to tell us all who were as soon as we got on the bus. It was kind of creepy alright. You worry about how much that great database actually knows!

A fair bit from what I've seen/heard !

What I mean is give everyone an exam number such as in Junior/Leaving cert. The exam results per exam number are input to the exams office and the exam numbers are matched up to the student number/individual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I give up. I'm building a fort out of my bed covers. I'll come out on the 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Unnecessary
    Also unnecessary - double posting your reply.
    I think we need some modly response here, where's Thwip! when you need him?

What I mean is give everyone an exam number such as in Junior/Leaving cert. The exam results per exam number are input to the exams office and the exam numbers are matched up to the student number/individual.
    The difference with the junior and leaving certs, though, is that the exams are set and marked by someone external to the teaching process. In college, it's all done by the same lecturer.
    Surely that would make a difference?

How so Joe wrote: »
    Also unnecessary - double posting your reply.
    I think we need some modly response here, where's Thwip! when you need him?

I don't know what you're talking about :P

How so Joe wrote: »
    The difference with the junior and leaving certs, though, is that the exams are set and marked by someone external to the teaching process. In college, it's all done by the same lecturer.
    Surely that would make a difference?
    Yeah you have a point, that was just a comparison, as far as I can see every other 3rd level Uni has anonymous marking of exams. It just makes too much sense not to have it.

Here's TCD's procedure.
    Link
    And here's NUIG Student union's arguements for anonymous marking: Link2

Yeah you have a point, that was just a comparison, as far as I can see every other 3rd level Uni has anonymous marking of exams. It just makes too much sense not to have it.

Here's TCD's procedure.
    Link
    And here's NUIG Student union's arguements for anonymous marking: Link2

From TCD's procedure:
    Since students with disabilities may elect to waive their right to anonymity

Why would that be?

This is A level exam procrastination.
    Anonymous marking was approved by the Deans office in 2008.
    Link
    (I think anyway)

From TCD's procedure:

Why would that be?

Haven't the faintest idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

This is A level exam procrastination.
    Anonymous marking was approved by the Deans office in 2008.
    Link
    (I think anyway)

Those minutes only say that it was approved by faculty of social science.
    If you want to procrastinate more, see if they took it to a wider council.
    Also, 2008, so long ago. Was anyone even in the college back then that still posts here (besides our most ancient and venerable banquo)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I thought that exams were sent out to an external body for marking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I don't know what you're talking about :P

That post I can still see :P

Advertisement