Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

aaabbbb wrote: »
    It also looks better on your transcript

This. So much of this.

When you're applying for things post/during college every grade can count and the bare minimum won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I wonder how many people just don't have a clue about transcripts...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 paulio99

I almost forgot it's an employers market. Every single grade must be accounted for and highly scrutinized! The concept of a transcript is absolute nonsense.

paulio99 wrote: »
    I almost forgot it's an employers market. Every single grade must be accounted for and highly scrutinized! The concept of a transcript is absolute nonsense.

Good degrees get good jobs. It's hardly a new concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

mickstupp wrote: »
    I wonder how many people just don't have a clue about transcripts...

Almost at least every single first year anyways. At that stage the "real world" and such things seems so far away that most don't even think to consider the implications of scrapping a pass through everything and passing anything that they can be possibly passed by compensation.

I'm going to pay for the above next summer when it comes to looking for internships / work experience in a lab 'cos when I'm going to be applying I won't have my (hopefully much drastically improved) grades for second year yet so all they're going to see is my laughable 1st year ones along with a years gap and then a repeat year of decent (so far) Maths grades.

• Advertisement

What is a job? never heard of that. I'm part of the neglected generation who have no opportunities because of the conduct of speculators and Fianna Fail politicians :P

What is a job? never heard of that. I'm part of the neglected generation who have no opportunities because of the conduct of speculators and Fianna Fail politicians :P

Its where you queue up in the post office once a week for ages with lots of smelly people until the nice person behind the counter calls you up and gives you a very exact amount of money

Tiring work so it is !:P

Alas this is the reality facing many students. :(

Alas this is the reality facing many students. :(

I couldn't even get the dole last year when I took the year out 'cos they said my Mum earned €8 too much :(

No such thing as using your discretion when it comes to the government. Students are some of the brightest and most talented people in society. Their talents, however are going to a shameful waste. No incentives to give young people any sort of decent opportunity. For anyone who says transcripts are important...I am a final year student and my marks are averaging a 2.2. I have 4 exams left and each one of them I have no motivation to study for. Why? the answer is obvious. I could easily get a 2.1 but what good is a 2.1 degree nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I don't get that attitude - "there's no opportunities so why try"
    Why not make opportunities for yourself by doing the best you can do, and differentiating yourself from others who only did enough to just get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

No such thing as using your discretion when it comes to the government. Students are some of the brightest and most talented people in society. Their talents, however are going to a shameful waste. No incentives to give young people any sort of decent opportunity. For anyone who says transcripts are important...I am a final year student and my marks are averaging a 2.2. I have 4 exams left and each one of them I have no motivation to study for. Why? the answer is obvious. I could easily get a 2.1 but what good is a 2.1 degree nowadays?

It's better than a 2.2 which could mean the difference between getting called for an interview or getting hired over someone else.
    jubella wrote: »
    I don't get that attitude - "there's no opportunities so why try"
    Why not make opportunities for yourself by doing the best you can do, and differentiating yourself from others who only did enough to just get by.

^ This couldn't be said any better. I graduated last year myself and thankfully got a job shortly after, opportunities won't come to you you have to grab them yourself.

This has given me faith. I will motor on and study!

I think there are few places that would ask for them, and usually only because they want to see something very particular. If I'm hiring you for a programming job and you've got a 1st in your degree, that's wonderful. But if I look at your transcript and find you did terribly in your database programming (or whatever it is that I need you for), I'll have second thoughts.

More generally maybe you see a person with a great degree who did sweet FA in 1st and 2nd year. I don't want to hire those people. Doesn't matter if they got a first. I want someone who'll work hard all the time, not just when it comes to crunch time. When you're paying people, you don't want them to only put effort in at the end of a project. So someone with a relatively consistent 2.2-2.1-2.1 will be far more likely to get a job than someone who failed a coupe of modules in first year, got a 2.2 in second year and an outright first in 3rd year. That just shows this person is capable, but couldn't really be bothered unless pushed.

Anyway, the number of places that ask for transcripts is comparatively miniscule when looking for jobs. Any MA or HDip a person wants to do, however... they'll most likely want to see your transcript before you can register.

Anyway, I'd still rather the current system. I think I heard a proposal to bring in an American style GPA system, where your end degree mark is based on work all the way from the beginning of 1st year. Not sure that's a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

mickstupp wrote: »
    I think there are few places that would ask for them, and usually only because they want to see something very particular. If I'm hiring you for a programming job and you've got a 1st in your degree, that's wonderful. But if I look at your transcript and find you did terribly in your database programming (or whatever it is that I need you for), I'll have second thoughts.

More generally maybe you see a person with a great degree who did sweet FA in 1st and 2nd year. I don't want to hire those people. Doesn't matter if they got a first. I want someone who'll work hard all the time, not just when it comes to crunch time. When you're paying people, you don't want them to only put effort in at the end of a project. So someone with a relatively consistent 2.2-2.1-2.1 will be far more likely to get a job than someone who failed a coupe of modules in first year, got a 2.2 in second year and an outright first in 3rd year. That just shows this person is capable, but couldn't really be bothered unless pushed.

Anyway, the number of places that ask for transcripts is comparatively miniscule when looking for jobs. Any MA or HDip a person wants to do, however... they'll most likely want to see your transcript before you can register.

Anyway, I'd still rather the current system. I think I heard a proposal to bring in an American style GPA system, where your end degree mark is based on work all the way from the beginning of 1st year. Not sure that's a good move.
    I think it's a bit unfair to judge someone's work ethic on their 1st year results - 17/18 year olds aren't known for their good-decision making abilities or restraint when it comes to picking a night out over studying. It doesn't necessarily mean they'll be wasters when they're 21/22 and beyond.

I can't really argue with that. But a lot of employers think otherwise. Of course, management types have never been known for their common sense. Not in my experience anyway. The rise of HR departments has done a lot of damage, too, I think. You can't just score an interview and talk your way into a job anymore. Not usually, anyway. Your CV has to jump through a tonne of hoops before you even hear someone's voice. People need to see their university transcripts as part of their CV, a part they can't fudge or gloss over.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

When it comes to exams though, whether it turns out to be a pass or a first.
    just-do-your-best.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

CSSE09 wrote: »
    When it comes to exams though, whether it turns out to be a pass or a first.
    just-do-your-best.jpg

Exactly, it's not necessarily about getting a first or a 2.1 or whatever. It's about not selling yourself short just because you think it doesn't/shouldn't matter.

Happy birthday to Doctor Strange and Pope Palpatine!

Oh and me! :-)

Happy birthday to Doctor Strange and Pope Palpatine!

Oh and me! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Double the posts, double the birthday wishes! :pac:

Happy birthday MC and Popey! :)

Anyone wanna help me with this ? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057212017

Go on you know you want to ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Anyone wanna help me with this ? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057212017

You should have some formulas for those in your stats book

My damn phone is double posting everything lately!

You should have some formulas for those in your stats book

I do :o

They're not helpful ! :(

Also that stats book all the lecturers all recommend is THE WORST !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Wow, I share a birthday with someone else here? Holy crap!

Also, it'd be nice if my PS3 would install the latest update for Gran Turismo 6. :mad:

Wow, I share a birthday with someone else here? Holy crap!

Also, it'd be nice if my PS3 would install the latest update for Gran Turismo 6. :mad:

Not just one of us but two of us! Triple the May 18th awesomeness! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭upinthesky

This might help, i know it does for me..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itQEwESWDKg

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭spartacus815

How I sum up studying for the bioinformatics exam for Thursday

• Advertisement

How I sum up studying for the bioinformatics exam for Thursday

I've always wondered what that was mainly 'cos I've to do it at some stage :pac:

Its like coding with Biology right ?

Advertisement