Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Don't think they will charge me to submit the continuous assessments, this will make it four exams I am repeating, I am scared but I suppose seeing as I am in St Pats and the exam is in the long corridor I should at least try but honestly I am damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Either way, you have to do what's best for you. Have you spoken to Rose in academic advisory? She's brilliant, honestly, she'll help you go through all your options and figure out what to do - if not before this particular exam then for the summer and the years coming.
    Best of luck whatever you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I would second the above about seeing Rose. Maybe ask her if she can help get you into the essay writing course over the summer as well. I don't know if you already had to do that but it would be a help to get a refresher if nothing else. And if you let us know your subjects, there might be someone around here who could give you some grinds over the summer in the modules you're having trouble with?

Another thing I would say is to try and remember that you got yourself into college in the first place. They let you in so they clearly thought you were capable. That doesn't mean you're capable right this minute though. The first time I went to college I failed everything. Did all repeats in the summer and then ended up dropping out completely in second year. I spent years thinking I was a complete worthless idiot incapable of getting a degree. The second time I went I got a bunch of 2.1's and even a couple of 1sts. My head was in a very different place, though. I wasn't ready for it the first time, but this time I was. What I'm saying is: If it's at all possible, don't let your current performance colour your opinion of yourself. You got in, so you are capable, in the long run. You can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Anyone know how strict SUSI are about being 45k away from the college to qualify for the non-adjacent rate ?

Just my house is 44k away (according to google) and it's a major difference between the two rates ! All just for living at the start of my village and not the end ! :pac:

Also SUSI seem to have closed down on boards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Some lad in DKIT a few years ago learned that they were using Google Maps to determine the distance. So he just made a pin with his address (60km from the college) like, 20 km from it. Got the full rate.

Rule of the civil service: They put the smart people in charge of bringing in the money, and the stupid in charge of dishing it out. Not an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Goddammit, if only I knew about that. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

banquo wrote: »
    Some lad in DKIT a few years ago learned that they were using Google Maps to determine the distance. So he just made a pin with his address (60km from the college) like, 20 km from it. Got the full rate.

Rule of the civil service: They put the smart people in charge of bringing in the money, and the stupid in charge of dishing it out. Not an accident.

beyond amazing

beyond amazing

Google keeps telling me they have map maker in north korea and ghana but somehow its not available in Ireland.... now that's beyond amazing

Especially 'cos I know I've used it before :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

How are you getting on now Robbing Bandit?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Anyone know how strict SUSI are about being 45k away from the college to qualify for the non-adjacent rate ?

Just my house is 44k away (according to google) and it's a major difference between the two rates ! All just for living at the start of my village and not the end ! :pac:

Also SUSI seem to have closed down on boards :(

I'm ~44km away and I don't qualify for the non-adjacent rate. It's so unfair because I'm missing out on over €1000 because of one kilometer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

One more exam tomorrow, cannot wait till it's done. Started on the first day (16th) and finished on the 29th. To say they dragged out would be an understatement!

• Advertisement

Boeing777 wrote: »
    I'm ~44km away and I don't qualify for the non-adjacent rate. It's so unfair because I'm missing out on over €1000 because of one kilometer :(

Yeah if I was to live at the end of my estate I'd get it but since I live at the top I wont ? Thats just really silly imo ! I mean it's like less than a 2 min drive from the top to the bottom

Stupid SUSI

Though I suppose they have to have a cut off point at someplace

I'm at that stage of studying where I'm well and truly sick of it all, thoroughly bored because I've read the stuff so many times. Which is usually a sign that I'm ready. Five o'clock and I'll be finished with this.

Finished wooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Waking up this morning and realising I don't need to study today was the sweetest feeling ever.
    Only slightly hampered by a horrendous hangover.

jubella wrote: »
    Waking up this morning and realising I don't need to study today was the sweetest feeling ever.
    Only slightly hampered by a horrendous hangover.

I hope to experience such feelings tomorrow :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Like am I going to be sitting in a hall by myself doing a 2 hour exam at half 3?
    EVERYONE else is finished :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm not finished, have a bloody politics exam at 3 30

deise_girl wrote: »
    Like am I going to be sitting in a hall by myself doing a 2 hour exam at half 3?
    EVERYONE else is finished :(
    I'll be doing a 90 minute one.

I'll wave on my way out :pac:

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I'm not finished, have a bloody politics exam at 3 30
    mickstupp wrote: »
    I'll be doing a 90 minute one.

I'll wave on my way out :pac:

Ahh atleast Im not facing it on my own <3 Its rotten seeing everyone roaring and delighted and passing with crates of drink and just being like, I still need to study :/

I really have no desire to read another thing of any sort until September.

• Advertisement

mickstupp wrote: »
    I really have no desire to read another thing of any sort until September.

Same!
    Yet I get a call from the place Im working in over the Summer that I need to do a report for them on their business by the end of next week.

The fun never stops..

deise_girl wrote: »
    Same!
    Yet I get a call from the place Im working in over the Summer that I need to do a report for them on their business by the end of next week.

The fun never stops..

That reminds me I'm supposed to have a powerpoint presentation done for Saturday for the company I'm working for this summer on attractions and things to do in Ireland that are age appropriate, educational and don't cost too much/ are ideally free for Spanish/French/Italian Kids & Teenagers to keep them amused for a month FUN ! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

6 pack of dutch. Age appropriate if they are over , say, 13, educational cause dutch is basically a part of the national culture at this stage, cheap, and if you buy enough will definitely keep them entertained for a month. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

So I have no job lined up for the summer and literally all my friends are on J1s.
    I'm actually looking forward to the (inevitable) repeats to give me something to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

NN5clGo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I don't want to know what that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

A VelociraptPHWOAR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

...why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

MCRxxxxxxxxx, I just noticed your new descriptor. Nice

Advertisement