Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I think the whole point of societies (and clubs) is that you join the ones which interest you. That way you already have a common interest with the people you meet. And even if you don't make any bosom buddies who you will cherish for the rest of your life, well hey, at least you were doing something you enjoyed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

How so Joe wrote: »
    I think the whole point of societies (and clubs) is that you join the ones which interest you. That way you already have a common interest with the people you meet. And even if you don't make any bosom buddies who you will cherish for the rest of your life, well hey, at least you were doing something you enjoyed!

Yes, but I have lots of interests and invariably some societies are better run than others and there may be some things I normally wouldn't consider but a recommendation could put me on to something new I might enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

2821137c-0f7c-4ca2-b96a-b1c98108cc1a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Do final years usually get their results early?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

DylanII wrote: »

Same day as everyone else

• Advertisement

DylanII wrote: »

Same day as everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Oops you did it again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

The wait for results is killing me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

thursday week isn't it?

So many colleges have them already because they started their exams earlier. Almost all my friends from home have them at this rate :(

thursday week isn't it?

So many colleges have them already because they started their exams earlier. Almost all my friends from home have them at this rate :(

Officially out Friday 27th but they're usually online the day before.

Yea, Facebook has been full of people celebrating their results for the last few weeks while I'm here absolutely dreading mine. DCU are still waiting too if that helps!

• Advertisement

July 1st is consultation day if I remember correctly.

July 1st is consultation day if I remember correctly.

what does this involve? i've never done it before but i'm definitely going to this year!

It is a chance to discuss your results with your lecturer, like an office hours consultation really.

It is a chance to discuss your results with your lecturer, like an office hours consultation really.

But there's no viewing of scripts or anything like that is there? What exactly can you discuss if you have no way of seeing what went wrong?

Or is it more for final years to discuss possible repeats to improve marks or whatever?

But there's no viewing of scripts or anything like that is there? What exactly can you discuss if you have no way of seeing what went wrong?

Or is it more for final years to discuss possible repeats to improve marks or whatever?

I'm pretty sure the scripts are there to view. It's like you said: to discuss rechecking and/or repeating.

I'm presuming that it's possible to apply for repeats to up grades with going to the consultation days? Tbh I'm hoping to avoid it over one exam even though I will be resitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

You're entitled to view both your summer and Christmas exam scripts if you wish. They'll have them all there (they should) and you can see exactly how they marked each question and ask them why. The person manning the desk with the scripts may not be the same lecturer as set/corrected the exam, but they should still be able to give you a good idea of where you went wrong.

It's definitely not just for final year students either. I'd say it's much more useful for first/second years to go and see. The lecturers can give you pointers on how to improve your marks next year, show you what you've been doing wrong or how to approach things better. Friend of mine went after second year and found out that she had always been approaching the first question on exam papers completely wrong. Her marks in all her third year modules improved hugely as a result. And a guy I know from another department got to see where the lecturer gave him one mark but the external bumped him up a full grade because they thought the lecturer was marking too hard.

I think if anyone's free on that day and feels like seeing how to improve their marks, it's worth going. Obviously your mileage may vary and the person you get to talk to might be useless... but you never know.

For repeats there's a form on the examinations website, you have to register with them, not the departments. There's also info there somewhere about getting exams rechecked and so on, but since they decided to improve the website, by making it much less user-friendly, I haven't a clue where anything is. Somewhere on http://www.nuim.ie/exams.

EDIT: Ah. Info here on repeating: https://www.nuim.ie/exams/information-students/autumn-examinations-and-assignments
    I suppose for rechecking you might first talk to the department and then the examinations office? Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Obligatory comment on the fine weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

We could do with a drop of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭bilbot79

How can I join a football team thread? I can't see any option to join?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

****, I'm in England right now, there's no chance for me of going back for a consultation.

• Advertisement

It is two weeks away. July 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Exam results soon WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Next Friday soon?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Next Friday soon?

Yes though I want it to be sooner having the sword of damocles hanging above my head is rather irritating and I'd rather he just got on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭upinthesky

noooo, iv failed chemistry... and god no's what else.

lisar816 wrote: »
    noooo, iv failed chemistry... and god no's what else.

How do you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭upinthesky

How do you know that?

Because i knew nothing..i can kinda tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

lisar816 wrote: »
    Because i knew nothing..i can kinda tell.

Jon Snow, is that you? :p

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Yes though I want it to be sooner having the sword of damocles hanging above my head is rather irritating and I'd rather he just got on with it

That sword must be the campus whore as it is hanging round me too, murder suicide pact going if anyone is interested. ;):D:eek::(

• Advertisement

That sword must be the campus whore as it is hanging round me too, murder suicide pact going if anyone is interested. ;):D:eek::(

He's a right aul cheeky devil so he his....

and I hope he gets the clap after all of it serves im right !

Advertisement