Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Ravanelli wrote: »
    Had a bit of a disaster of a final year, one question though (if anyone could please give me a hand), I did a double-hons, my history worked out at 60%-62%-63% and for the final one I only got 12% because I didn't get most of the C.A in.

Now I know about the 15 credits I can use for an honours award but I'd really be hoping to keep them for my other subject.

So if I repeat that history module in Autumn without honours what will the mark be capped at? 40%-50%? I read that 30% of the 2nd year mark can be used if your result falls below the 2nd year mark.

So say I have 60-62-63-40 (if that's the cap) it averages off at 56%. I averaged 62% in history last year, so how would 30% of that come into play regarding the 56%? :(

Multiply 3rd year by 0.7, multiply second year by 0.3 and add the two answers together.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ravanelli

Thanks for that, repeating my other subject next year it is....

Does anyone know if repeating without honours is capped at 40% or 49%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Had a bit of a disaster of a final year, one question though (if anyone could please give me a hand), I did a double-hons, my history worked out at 60%-62%-63% and for the final one I only got 12% because I didn't get most of the C.A in.

Now I know about the 15 credits I can use for an honours award but I'd really be hoping to keep them for my other subject.

So if I repeat that history module in Autumn without honours what will the mark be capped at? 40%-50%? I read that 30% of the 2nd year mark can be used if your result falls below the 2nd year mark.

So say I have 60-62-63-40 (if that's the cap) it averages off at 56%. I averaged 62% in history last year, so how would 30% of that come into play regarding the 56%? :(
    Capping doesn't apply when you're repeating in final year, so you can have as much as you want.
    But as for the 30/70 weighting, GarIT is right.

How so Joe wrote: »
    Capping doesn't apply when you're repeating in final year, so you can have as much as you want.
    But as for the 30/70 weighting, GarIT is right.

Thanks. I don't know though the undergrad marks & standards book seems to say that only 15 credits can be given an honours mark
    ''Repeating for Honours
    Honours are not normally awarded in repeat examinations.

The following rules apply to final year:
    a) Students may repeat modules (once only) up to 15 credits (of the 60 available) in the autumn supplemental examination or in the examinations in the subsequent year and still retain the entitlement to an honours award, which includes the contribution from the repeated modules.''

Had such a bad year I reckon I'd need to repeat about 20-25 credits probably.

Thanks. I don't know though the undergrad marks & standards book seems to say that only 15 credits can be given an honours mark

Had such a bad year I reckon I'd need to repeat about 20-25 credits probably.

If you need to repeat more than 15 credits, then you lose your right to an honours degree entirely. If you need to repeat more than 15 credits, you definitely need to talk to academic advisory.

• Advertisement

How so Joe wrote: »
    If you need to repeat more than 15 credits, then you lose your right to an honours degree entirely. If you need to repeat more than 15 credits, you definitely need to talk to academic advisory.

Yeah thanks I'll talk to them. Looks like I'll take the 7.5 credit history module in Autumn which is all C.A. So that'll be history sorted.

Then repeat the other subject in its entirety next year. Really should've just done a single hons.
    Students pursuing joint honours or major-minor programmes may retain their result in one subject and repeat the other subject (once only) in its entirety, in a subsequent year, to try to improve their grade in the second subject. In such cases honours will also be classified in the Degree qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Does anyone know when online registration opens? (And can someone post that important dates schedule for the next few years again? I'll bookmark it this time I swear!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Change of mind deadline is passed as of 10 minutes ago.

I guess I'm officially going to NUIM now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Same as Seanah, says the lurker �� now just to worry about slim-pickings accommodation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

welcome to the madhouse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Hey! Does anyone know what the hours for the medical centre are like during the holidays? I can only find opening hours for term time and I realllllly need to see adoctor and cant afford to pay for one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

qwerty1991 wrote: »
    Hey! Does anyone know what the hours for the medical centre are like during the holidays? I can only find opening hours for term time and I realllllly need to see adoctor and cant afford to pay for one :(
    You have to go to Gaffney up by the hotel. It's walk in up till 12 or 12.30 each day, I didn't need an appointment. Went last week and it cost 20 quid with a student card.

Goodbye to Minister Ruairí Quinn, lying bastardó robbed many students with the cuts in grants and registration fee increases, wonder who will get this job now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Goodbye to Minister Ruairí Quinn, lying bastardó robbed many students with the cuts in grants and registration fee increases, wonder who will get this job now.
    Glad to see the back of him, but I have no faith that anything will change as a result. The policies are going to remain the same or get worse. A new person isn't going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I had a tiny bit of faith that he'd overhaul school patronage. :/

Even though Quinn was terrible he was probably the best we have ever had.

I just read were getting Sean 'The internet should be illegal' Sherlock, we could be going back the the dark ages of Mary 'We shouldn't allow non Catholics into school' Hannifin

So, eh, when is the Welcome Seaneh to NUIM new academic year beers going to be?

We all going to be around in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

GarIT wrote: »
    I just read we're getting Sean 'The internet should be illegal' Sherlock, we could be going back the the dark ages of Mary 'We shouldn't allow non Catholics into school' Hannifin

Holy sh*t, I knew her dad Des was totalitarian, I guess it runs in the family.

Holy sh*t, I knew her dad Des was totalitarian, I guess it runs in the family.

It's not an exact quote but she had said something along the lines of the majority of people in Ireland are Catholic so the children should all be given a catholic education.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Seaneh wrote: »

I'm never leaving. Apparently. Entering year 8 of the Maynooth experience.

I can only hope to achieve the level of funding education you are striving for in my time in the University :P

Year six for me has just spluttered, I have a buck load of repeats to do then I am out for 1 year to raise the cash to come back for another go at second year history, then hopefully go on to third year and finally graduate in 2017, 9 years after I started :o

It is done!

2uh4jls.jpg

Anyone know if the arts block computers are accessible tomorrow or Sunday, have some work to do and the library is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yup, Arts will be open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Seaneh wrote: »

Given our history it's probably better we start planning this now :P

Thwip! wrote: »
    Given our history it's probably better we start planning this now :P

Eh, we are excellent at beers. We had a great beers at Easter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Just permabanned my first user

AND LO DID IT FEEL GOOD
    AdTnnse.gif
    tumblr_murxsvxtYl1r5ynioo2_500.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Thwip! wrote: »
    Just permabanned my first user

AND LO DID IT FEEL GOOD
    AdTnnse.gif
    tumblr_murxsvxtYl1r5ynioo2_500.gif

Damn, I always miss the good ones!