Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Planemo wrote: »
    I'm just saying there's not enough computers in the PCRs to meet demand.

I agree but the CS labs are strictly for students that need to use it for something more than Microsoft office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Anyone seen that Blackfish documentary? Totally worth watching! F*ck SeaWorld.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Somebody was having a smashing time in the library today....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

thelad95 wrote: »
    Somebody was having a smashing time in the library today....

Ah here, is the revolving door smashed again?

Ah here, is the revolving door smashed again?

It most certainly is :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Another golden library announcement:

''Attention all library users, please do not exit through the front door as it is currently out of use. Please use the side exit past the vending machines''

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Lovely attitude. I'd nearly be tempted to go out of my way to be an inconvenience to someone with your obvious derth of manners.

By all means, please inconvenience your fellow students, if that is what you wish to achieve, my only concern is to facilitate their education in computer science as best I can. If it means inconveniencing someone who shouldn't be there, by all means I shall.

At no point have I ever been anything less than polite when dealing with any person in a lab, especially the ones who have no business being there.

As for the lack of computing facilities on campus for the rest of the student body, if it is as serious as people here claim, they should bring it up with the students union, it can't just be an issue which impacts you and the union may be able to help get it addressed.

It most certainly is :rolleyes:

I missed the first time.... how does one smash a revolving door exactly?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    I missed the first time.... how does one smash a revolving door exactly?

I think what happened the first time was that too many people squeezed themselves into one of the parts of the door putting too much pressure on the glass. That's second hand info though. Not sure about this time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I heard one of the panes came loose and just fell out.

• Advertisement

I've heard that someone just pushed the door and the pane of glass just fell through. Maybe the frost had something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

A few years ago one lad (some Maynooth veterans will know him as "Jagerbomb Kyle") was just standing beside a window in the CS building when a pane came loose and smashed over his head.

Ms. Koi came to his rescue while the rest of us were just like "Hey Kyle ... Kyle a giant pane of glass just smashed over your head.. Hey Kyle..."

banquo wrote: »
    Ms. Koi came to his rescue while the rest of us were just like "Hey Kyle ... Kyle a giant pane of glass just smashed over your head.. Hey Kyle..."

And the windows in the Callan building were finally fixed after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Eduroam appears to hate me all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Welcome to my world. :o That new CS building can't open soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KellyR18

I'm a 1st year and I've missed 2 chemistry tutorials and 3 chemistry labs, does that mean I have to repeat 1st year? I had notes for the 1st two but not the other one :/

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

KellyR18 wrote: »
    I'm a 1st year and I've missed 2 chemistry tutorials and 3 chemistry labs, does that mean I have to repeat 1st year? I had notes for the 1st two but not the other one :/

go and talk to either the dept head, (Dr. John Stephens) first year head or whiever is in charge of labs .. They will give you correct information.. sort it early and you'll be much better off :)

What's the point of having a university e-mail? I don't think I've received one worthwhile e-mail since last September, just crap about events I've already seen on Facebook and rubbish posted to the all students list.

It's more pointless than the intercom in the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

More pointless than the many power outlets that NEVER WORK in the library, you mean (sigh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

What's the point of having a university e-mail? I don't think I've received one worthwhile e-mail since last September, just crap about events I've already seen on Facebook and rubbish posted to the all students list.

It's more pointless than the intercom in the library.

Correspondence with lecturers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I don't use Facebook. I'd be delighted if there were far MORE emails. I think the problem is people don't use it properly. I learn about events too late to take part. Or long after the fact. Sometimes it seems like mails get sent about a small fraction of the events that are going on.

But even if not a single one of the mails was relevant, I don't quite understand how it annoys people. They're not costing you anything. You don't have to read them. You don't even have to sign in and check the inbox. And once you're in there no-one's forcing you to click into a mail which is clearly irrelevant from the subject line. And just because they're irrelevant to you, doesn't mean they're irrelevant full stop.

Having a university address is useful for some things. Not many! But some.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

mickstupp wrote: »
    I don't use Facebook. I'd be delighted if there were far MORE emails. I think the problem is people don't use it properly. I learn about events too late to take part. Or long after the fact. Sometimes it seems like mails get sent about a small fraction of the events that are going on.

But even if not a single one of the mails was relevant, I don't quite understand how it annoys people. They're not costing you anything. You don't have to read them. You don't even have to sign in and check the inbox. And once you're in there no-one's forcing you to click into a mail which is clearly irrelevant from the subject line. And just because they're irrelevant to you, doesn't mean they're irrelevant full stop.

Having a university address is useful for some things. Not many! But some.
    It's annoying in the same way spam is annoying, cos that's what most of it is!

Anyway, I solved this problem by just making a folder that all the 'allstudents' mail automatically goes to.

Planemo wrote: »
    It's annoying in the same way spam is annoying, cos that's what most of it is!

Anyway, I solved this problem by just making a folder that all the 'allstudents' mail automatically goes to.

Genius, but you still have to deal with them eventually then.

GarIT wrote: »
    Genius, but you still have to deal with them eventually then.

Select all. Delete.

Correspondence with lecturers.

Why not just use my own e-mail for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Why not just use my own e-mail for this?

You're easily identifiable with your college email address and may not be with your own
    The lecturer can access class lists of emails so can send class wide or individual emails

Select all. Delete.

You still have to read the titles, some at important, exam rules and timetable for example.

GarIT wrote: »
    You still have to read the titles, some at important, exam rules and timetable for example.

That's only a matter of scanning through though. Hardly much effort.

You're easily identifiable with your college email address and may not be with your own
    The lecturer can access class lists of emails so can send class wide or individual emails

Most lecturers just use the Moodle page for this. I've logged in to my Uni e-mail about 5 times since September and it's always just full of crap to be honest. It is handy for contacting lecturers I suppose but I've only had to contact one lecturer so far, I used my normal e-mail address and just put my name and student number at the end and they were happy to reply.

• Advertisement

Most lecturers just use the Moodle page for this. I've logged in to my Uni e-mail about 5 times since September and it's always just full of crap to be honest. It is handy for contacting lecturers I suppose but I've only had to contact one lecturer so far, I used my normal e-mail address and just put my name and student number at the end and they were happy to reply.

Some prefer email. Particularly in more short term/emergency situations like class cancellations when people wouldn't be checking moodle in time. If they were to contact you individually as well they'd use your class email. That happens more during final year projects, theses, etc.

Advertisement