Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

well thats a well kept secret! il be in for summer!

anyone know what tthat machine is on the top floor of new library? down to the end of history section? big moniter on it and does a lot of banging and clattering?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Anybody know were to print off a coloured A3 sheet?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Zemuppet wrote: »
    Anybody know were to print off a coloured A3 sheet?

on an A3 colour printer.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Anywhere on campus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Zemuppet wrote: »
    Anywhere on campus?

Library on the colour printers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Jaysus, this thread is dead! How's everyone doing ahead of the January exams?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I am enjoying the fact that I'm having my first actual break in forever and don't have any exams until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

I miss college :( Applying for a PhD in London next month, here's hoping!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Good luck!

• Advertisement

i applied for the pme, hopefully get in, bit nervous of the whole situation though! went around to about 12 schools chatting to principles and handing out cvs for a bit of observation, but they dont really seem to give a crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I became a fourth year PhD in London today. I feel so very old.

How so Joe wrote: »

At least the end is finally in sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I didn't graduate 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

How so Joe wrote: »

What are you doing the Phd in?

TheBody wrote: »
    What are you doing the Phd in?

It's on copyright. And I am pretty sure I hate it. I've got some kind of burnout thing going on.
    But overall, it's been super!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I hate my PhD too if it makes you feel better. Viva week after next and then exiting academia for ever. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I love my PhD, whenever I actually get to work on it...

mickstupp wrote: »
    I love my PhD, whenever I actually get to work on it...

Come back to me when you're writing your thesis.

Come back to me when you're writing your thesis.

In fairness, I'm pretty sure Mickstupp is history, so would have a more consistent writing schedule than science PhDs.
    My thesis is written, I'm just too lazy to fix the referencing and finish the damn thing.

• Advertisement

Yep. Half finished a first draft of the whole thing. It's just all the external junk that distracts me from doing it. I love the thesis part. It's the rest that's annoying me. The classes and commuting and applying for things and writing papers etc.

Yep. Half finished a first draft of the whole thing. It's just all the external junk that distracts me from doing it. I love the thesis part. It's the rest that's annoying me. The classes and commuting and applying for things and writing papers etc.

Four hellish years of that. The one thing I don't miss!

:mad: This is my eighth (due to a 2 year MA). Hate commuting.

Can you tell us what your thesis is on Mick? I have an amateur interest in history.

Ancient ideas of physics and cosmogony, atomic motion, how everything in the universe is formed from tiny indivisible bits of matter... and how a lot of those ideas turned out not only to spark the scientific revolution through the likes of Gassendi and Robert Boyle, but how some of them are even (relatively) accurate today. There are ideas of indeterminacy in the motion of particles, as in modern quantum mechanics, as well as large things like the multiverse idea, and even relations to the physics of optics and perception.

Roughly...

So I guess it's sort of a tiny slice of the history of philosophy of science, or something like that?

Ancient ideas of physics and cosmogony, atomic motion, how everything in the universe is formed from tiny indivisible bits of matter... and how a lot of those ideas turned out not only to spark the scientific revolution through the likes of Gassendi and Robert Boyle, but how some of them are even (relatively) accurate today. There are ideas of indeterminacy in the motion of particles, as in modern quantum mechanics, as well as large things like the multiverse idea, and even relations to the physics of optics and perception.

Roughly...

So I guess it's sort of a tiny slice of the history of philosophy of science, or something like that?

SOunds really interesting. Also sounds like your thesis is going to be about a million pages.

Hah! Well... I can't see it being under 100k. But my supervisor and department are fine with that. I think as long as I keep it under about 130 I should be fine. I always find it hard to get DOWN to a word limit. Problem is, as always, getting time to work on it uninterrupted.

It'll be a beast so. Mines 70 k give or take and it was 330 pages or so.

I'm going down the history route too, but on a very very different topic haha.

I've found the History Dept great regarding exceeding word counts. If they feel that the topic needs to go over, they never have a problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

When did my exams get so hard?? Don't think I've grasped the fact that I'm in final year not first :(

Advertisement