Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Well 8 long years in maynooth comes to an end today. Officially Dr. Donkeyoaty. Sad to be leaving the place behind, some absolutely fantastic memories over the years. Noting lasts forever though.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

My new college has yet to send out semester 2 timtables and were supposed to be back on Monday. I miss Maynooth. What's this I hear about Cathedral closing down?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Toshi101 wrote: »
    What's this I hear about Cathedral closing down?

Doomed from the start, strong rumours are that the people who own the Wright Venue are going to buy it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Toshi101 wrote: »
    My new college has yet to send out semester 2 timtables and were supposed to be back on Monday. I miss Maynooth. What's this I hear about Cathedral closing down?

yep it's gone.
    Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Doomed from the start, strong rumours are that the people who own the Wright Venue are going to buy it.

i'd be amazed if this was true. Place is a money pit, it has a shorter life span each time and the reason is there isn't the business to run it in this model.

Don't think it can go back to a normal pub like it once was. Needs alot of investment to make it work imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Has anyone looked at the university's website lately? Someone f*cked up the layout of some pages, most importantly the "For Current Students" and "Academic & Examinations Timetables" pages. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

Has anyone looked at the university's website lately? Someone f*cked up the layout of some pages, most importantly the "For Current Students" and "Academic & Examinations Timetables" pages. :mad:

Yea, I noticed that yesterday. I'm stuck for something on the wibsite until they fix it.

You're in luck, I found the student timetable page: https://apps.maynoothuniversity.ie/timetable/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Someone told me the Drogheda-Maynooth Finlay's bus is changing the stop for the morning journey, i.e. no longer McDonald's. Anyone know anything about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

mickstupp wrote: »
    Someone told me the Drogheda-Maynooth Finlay's bus is changing the stop for the morning journey, i.e. no longer McDonald's. Anyone know anything about that?

Just had a quick look at their FB page and website, no mention of anything

(041) 685 6505 is their phone number if that's any use to you! Although you're probably on the bus bright and early tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

lordgoat wrote: »
    yep it's gone.

i'd be amazed if this was true. Place is a money pit, it has a shorter life span each time and the reason is there isn't the business to run it in this model.

Don't think it can go back to a normal pub like it once was. Needs alot of investment to make it work imo.

how anyone thought they could keep a nightclub in kildare, in a student town going at those prices was mad. the LA only worked because it was a dank, so the opex cost was f00k all. they put more than a million into refurbing that place and it hit the wall in less than a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

how anyone thought they could keep a nightclub in kildare, in a student town going at those prices was mad. the LA only worked because it was a dank, so the opex cost was f00k all. they put more than a million into refurbing that place and it hit the wall in less than a year.

Place didn't hit the wall it was in profit but the owner didn't want to keep it going so he refurbished during the summer knowing it would get a higher price when sold on. His alcohol and late license ran out after New Year's Day and the plan was that he was always going to sell after that.

Wrights who have a number of clubs in Dublin are now rumoured to be the most likely buyers.

I think the place is a kip though, like at the end of the day the Roost and Bradys are just big pubs they aren't clubs and that's perfect for a town like Maynooth, Cathedral is the kind of club you'd find in Dublin and any time I've been there be it a student night or Saturday night, it was never fully opened up, it's completely unsustainable to have a big club like that given it will rarely rarely operate to capacity.

New Finlay's Bus stop for the Drogheda-Maynooth route.

Mary's Street, opposite Domino's, there's a place where the bus can pull in. 7.25 left form there today anyway. Thankfully!!!

No idea if the stop for the 10.30 is there too...?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

This is a long shot, but would anybody that did/is doing Irish in first year be able to tell me what resources are used for the oral components of the course? Basically, I'm applying for the primary PME and I need to improve my Irish abilities to have any hope of getting accepted. Would anybody have any good Irish resources to send or know of any that would be of help? I'm doing evening classes at the moment, but I'd love more help. Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Did anyone else get a pair of yik yak socks? They're surprisingly comfy

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Did anyone else get a pair of yik yak socks? They're surprisingly comfy
    Where from?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Can someone tell me where the night life of the area? Student pubs/clubs/nights?
    I'm out here in the accomadation once a month for work, super boring during the evening! Techincally i'm still a student I guess

The Roost is pretty much the go-to place for nightlife in Maynooth, and the SU has a bar on the north side of the campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

does anyone know where i contact for a chance to wwork in the exams at summer as an invigilator, is this a hard gig? im not a student this year but working as anotetaker for college so im garda vetted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Dickie10 wrote: »
    does anyone know where i contact for a chance to wwork in the exams at summer as an invigilator, is this a hard gig? im not a student this year but working as anotetaker for college so im garda vetted

An on-line application form will be available on the website at the end of February https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/exams/invigilation

All you have to do is fill in the form and attend a training day (lasts around 2-3 hours). Majority of invigilators aren't Maynooth students so no worries there. It is a grand job, if everything runs smoothly. There is plenty of walking and the days can be quite long, but you get used to it.

thats great thanks very much,trying to gather money for masters next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

I haaaaate writing personal statements

Dickie10 wrote: »
    thats great thanks very much,trying to gather money for masters next year!
    Just one thing... if you're sitting any exams at all, you won't be allowed to work as an invigilator. Or so I was told.

thats grand no not doing any exams so it might suit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

How am I unable to write 500 words about myself, I've spent 20 years doing it for god's sake

The first one is the hardest. After that you'll just tweak it a little and copy pasta. They're awful. I think it's something Irish people find particularly hard, due to our habit of knocking people off their high horses. Gotta remember you may be in competition for something with an American... and they're experts at self-promotion in their CVs and application forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

Hi would anyone know if it's possible for a non-student to sit in with a Comp. Science lecture? I've been in economics and law etc but I figured Comp Science would be harder to get into with labs and all that. Just want to know if I'd like it before I finish up on my CAO. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hi would anyone know if it's possible for a non-student to sit in with a Comp. Science lecture? I've been in economics and law etc but I figured Comp Science would be harder to get into with labs and all that. Just want to know if I'd like it before I finish up on my CAO. Thanks.

You could definitely sit in on a lecture without noticing, labs/tutorials you'll get rumbled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Hi

I would be grateful for any advice, if you fail a module in an higher diploma course but still get over 25 ( I got 30-35) does this mean you can still pass the course overall, that you dont have to repeat this module in the summer . Any advice would be really grateful

Thanks

Which HDip course are you talking about? For undergraduate courses (except a select few, see here) if you get between 25-39% in a module, then it depends on the average results from all of your modules from that semester. If that average is 40% or over, you pass that module by compensation. Otherwise you have to repeat.

Is there anyone here besides Sonny who's done an HDip?

• Advertisement

Which HDip course are you talking about? For undergraduate courses (except a select few, see here) if you get between 25-39% in a module, then it depends on the average results from all of your modules from that semester. If that average is 40% or over, you pass that module by compensation. Otherwise you have to repeat.

Is there anyone here besides Sonny who's done an HDip?

EDIT: This might be of better use to you, it mentions the passing requirements for HDips.

Advertisement