Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Can't wait to get started just so my housemates come back up. Been here all fecking week and there's not a sinner around.

I can understand them egging you but the poor dog :P

Feck you ! :cool:
    and yeah the place is so dull ! I actually in a brief moment of insanity considered heading to mass for ****s and giggles. Then I snapped out of it thankfully and realised how much negative craic that would actually be ! :pac:

Ugh the lack of internet in the house is seriously irritating :mad:

On another note , I saw an erasmus student wandering around south campus with a load of suitcases. Clearly she missed the orientation ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Mondays just got a lot worse for me, I have MT102S at 10am, and therefore I have to leave my house at about 7:45am to get the bus. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

So today I found myself in the middle of a second year Business lecture.

I don't do Business. Nor am I in second year. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Don't suppose anyone in here has gotten their degree in CSSE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

marko93 wrote: »

Alt_Grrr has afaik

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Defo is a few CS students lurking around these parts. Hope your semester gets better as it goes on marko.

I'm thinking of returning to Maynooth to do a 2 year MA. I fear I'm a bit crazy even contemplating that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Also, serious amount of ads for NUIG on here. Are they trying to tell us something :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Seren_ wrote: »
    Also, serious amount of ads for NUIG on here. Are they trying to tell us something :P
    Noticed this during the exams and ranted about it on FB :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

DB21 wrote: »
    Alt_Grrr has afaik

You are correct, I had a BSc in Computer Science and Software Engineering.

What's your question?

Seren_ wrote: »

Theres one at the train station too.... I mean the cheek ! :pac:

• Advertisement

Alt_Grrr wrote: »

You are correct, I had a BSc in Computer Science and Software Engineering.

What's your question?

Just curious about job prospects. Looking online last night and there was very little for people fresh out of college. Slightly worried. Seen quite a few references to Oracle

Also, thanks Seren. I hope so too!

^ Really? I heard there were loads of students going straight into an IT company after finishing their BScs.

^ Really? I heard there were loads of students going straight into an IT company after finishing their BScs.

From what I seen on jobs.ie and monster a lot of places wanted experience! Completely forgot about companies coming to pluck students and the 3rd year work experience :p

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Just curious about job prospects. Looking online last night and there was very little for people fresh out of college. Slightly worried. Seen quite a few references to Oracle

Also, thanks Seren. I hope so too!

Jobs in the ICT sector tend to be over spec'd

the old joke programmers make, explains it a lot better.
    What if drivers were hired like software developers?

Job title: car driver

Job requirements: professional skills in driving normal- and heavy-freight cars, buses and trucks, trolley buses, trams, subways, tractors, shovel diggers, contemporary light and heavy tanks currently in use by NATO countries.

Skills in rally and extreme driving are obligatory!
    Formula-1 driving experience is a plus.

Knowledge and experience in repairing of piston and rotor/Wankel engines, automatic and manual transmissions, ignition systems, board computer, ABS, ABD, GPS and car-audio systems by world-known manufacturers - obligatory!

Experience with car-painting and tinsmith tasks is a plus.

The applicants must have certificates by BMW, General Motors and Bosch, but not older than two years.

Compensation: $15-$20/hour, depends on the interview result.

Education requirements: Bachelor's Degree of Engineering.

Lots of places want experience, which is sorely lacking, but some companies hire right out of university, some even come to NUIM to recruit directly.

I remember going to the Ericsson one and finding it all really interesting until they say "and of course we'll help you relocate so you're near our base in Athlone", a collective "ugh" went out across the crowd.
    From what I seen on jobs.ie and monster a lot of places wanted experience! Completely forgot about companies coming to pluck students and the 3rd year work experience :p

Graduate positions tend to be advertised at certain points in the year, usually the middle of the semester.

Third year placements tend to be advertised around September to December and lots of places do them.

There of course things you can do which will improve your prospects of getting a job.
    1. Remove ECDL from your CV
    2. Own your Identity Online
    3. Have an account on Github and use it
    4. Have some small side projects that you can talk about

Having worked in a company and been involved in their hiring process, those are the most obvious.

ECDL is embarrassing, don't have it on your CV.
    If I google your name and someone else comes up, I'm going assume your the same person, not having an online presence makes me even more specious (the first impression is that your the paranoid type who doesn't use google or any online social network, nobody likes that guy, he's always really awful to talk to at lunch)

The last two are pretty important if your looking to get into the software engineering world, they really make you stand out. If you have something on github, I can check and see that you can actually code, solve problems, etc and that you like to do it.

If your looking for some job experience try a summer internship, IBM has one called Deep Blue which is good.
    Avoid working in places that expect you to work for free (if your good at something, never do it for free) or places where you'll be working alone or are the only technical person there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

No discussion about today's email about the Hiace van and the Argos catalogue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

"Hey... that's not the wallet inspector"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Anyone care to forward me that email? :P

Edit: GOT IT!

Thanks Heffo

Alt_Grrr wrote: »

You're an absolute gent. Really appreciate it, feel a bit better.

On a sad note, only one of my friends has passed maths so far. Shall find out how bad/good I done tomorrow. GOD SPEED.

P.S Anyone know if there's a place in Maynooth to get good cheap laptops?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Does anyone know a revision book for Administrative Law? I don't think there is a Nutshells published by Round Hall :(

Failed maths ;___;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Failed maths ;___;

Me too... :(:(

I actually passed Linear Algebra but failed Calculus. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Are every years maths results up?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Are every years maths results up?

Not sure about the other years, but first year maths results were put up yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peacock169

@Marko and @Boeing.

Did ye fail by much?Can you still pass by compensation? If you were close to a pass, all is not lost yet. Thats my understanding of it anyway, means you have to do well in Integration. Think Detta said during the week that:
    1. Must average at least 40% across all 4 modules
    2. Must pass at least 1 calculus module.

Could be wrong here, but don't beat yourself up yet.

Do exam results just go up in departments or do you get e-mailed your results or sent them in the post at any stage?

Novella wrote: »
    Do exam results just go up in departments or do you get e-mailed your results or sent them in the post at any stage?
    It depends on each department. For example Sociology and French departments put them up on notice boards and Law and Business departments put them up on moodle. I'm not sure about other departments though. I think Geography department puts them up on moodle as well...

peacock169 wrote: »
    @Marko and @Boeing.

Did ye fail by much?Can you still pass by compensation? If you were close to a pass, all is not lost yet. Thats my understanding of it anyway, means you have to do well in Integration. Think Detta said during the week that:
    1. Must average at least 40% across all 4 modules
    2. Must pass at least 1 calculus module.

Could be wrong here, but don't beat yourself up yet.

Really because both stats and algebra have such a low credit weighting that really you need to pass one calculus module to pass math

Paczini wrote: »
    It depends on each department. For example Sociology and French departments put them up on notice boards and Law and Business departments put them up on moodle. I'm not sure about other departments though. I think Geography department puts them up on moodle as well...

I hope my departments put them on moodle 'cause I'm going to New York for a week next week so I won't be on campus to get any results and that's probably when they'll come out!

Novella wrote: »
    I hope my departments put them on moodle 'cause I'm going to New York for a week next week so I won't be on campus to get any results and that's probably when they'll come out!
    If they will be up on notice boards you can always ask your friends to take them down for you and text you them. Thats what my friends always ask me to do as they find it too stressful to come up to the notice board and check them themselves :P

• Advertisement

I passed both maths courses, you'd think they'd put the results on Moodle rather than forcing us to trek to the other end of campus to read our results.

Advertisement