Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Really because both stats and algebra have such a low credit weighting that really you need to pass one calculus module to pass math

Yes that's true - the 2 calculus modules are 5 credits each and the other 2 are 2.5 credits each. To pass the year you need at least 40 in one of the calculus.

Last year I failed both calc. modules, repeated and got 40% on differential and 23% on integral (god, I hated it so much) and passed by compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

In my mind this is how I see it, and please correct me if I'm wrong because I don't want to be deluding myself. My take on it is, I have to pass the other calculus module, and if I get over 25% in maths (i.e the subject and all modules in the subject) I can compensate.
    I've found out that I can pass three subjects and pass the fourth by compensation. So if I do average over 25% in Maths I can compensate providing I pass 3 of my other subjects.

Am I right in thinking this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Paczini wrote: »
    If they will be up on notice boards you can always ask your friends to take them down for you and text you them. Thats what my friends always ask me to do as they find it too stressful to come up to the notice board and check them themselves :P

True. They'd probably just text me and say that I've failed though! Which wouldn't be very funny, 'cause I may actually have failed an exam or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Thank god I'm home and didn't know the maths results are out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Shít are results out next week? Dammmmmmmmmmn :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Failed both. Linear by 1%. Gutted, but a crucial wake up call I think. May be able to pass by compensation over all. Belize ve Detta said 101s had double weighting or something. Sure, we'll see. We're not alone. Quite a large amount failed.

Too much people "know" how maths modules work when compensating, it's fairly complicated in the maths department.The only way you'll know for sure is to go in and have a word with one of the lecturers.
    And if you've failed Differential Calc. Integral is going to be impossible for you unless you put in about 5-8 hours a week. Use the support centre as much as you can and don't fall into the trap of just getting one or two questions off your mate when you haven't had time to finish an assignment one week.
    Don't spend an extra year on it like I did.
    Even then it took 5-8 hours a week.

dojojoe wrote: »
    Too much people "know" how maths modules work when compensating, it's fairly complicated in the maths department.The only way you'll know for sure is to go in and have a word with one of the lecturers.
    And if you've failed Differential Calc. Integral is going to be impossible for you unless you put in about 5-8 hours a week. Use the support centre as much as you can and don't fall into the trap of just getting one or two questions off your mate when you haven't had time to finish an assignment one week.

Any advice or sites to check out for some extra assistance? Already attend the MCS and was a bit shocked with my result.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Khan Academy will have most of the basic calculus covered well.

marko93 wrote: »
    Any advice or sites to check out for some extra assistance? Already attend the MCS and was a bit shocked with my result.

I basically watched youtube videos to get the theory (PatrickJMT, Khan Academy) then did the assignment questions or the ones in the book with the answers in the back. If you get stuck ask the guys in the MSC.

If you're stuck badly then get onto someone for grinds. Some of the people in 2nd/3rd/4th year are great value and got amazing results when they did the course.

I realise you've other subjects also and it's a massive workload over the 4 but focus on your weakest subject and try to pass the others. Worry about good results in 3rd year.

• Advertisement

I agree with you, I always presume I have that safety net and that I'll be fine because of compensation but tbh, it's going to be so tough for me to even pass Integral. I did OL maths for the Leaving so already I'm at a disadvantage because it wasn't on our course. I know that HL only touched on it but still it's more than I ever done.

Tbh, maths is just making me question if I want this course or not. It's been getting me down so much lately and after seeing that I failed it I've been feeling very low about college in general. I really want to be a science teacher and I really love the people in my course but, I've seriously questioned my commitment to my course over the last few days.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Sadly any science course ever will involve maths at some point Boeing777, so if being a science teacher is what you want then you're just going to have to suffer through the maths for another while. Keep the head up anyway - anyone who has failed exams has gone through that same "What's the point in even continuing on with this?" phase, but it will get easier.

Seren_ wrote: »
    Sadly any science course ever will involve maths at some point Boeing777, so if being a science teacher is what you want then you're just going to have to suffer through the maths for another while. Keep the head up anyway - anyone who has failed exams has gone through that same "What's the point in even continuing on with this?" phase, but it will get easier.

Thanks Seren, I'm just being really negative at the moment but I'll be grand! :) No point in feeling sorry for myself! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Can anyone tell me where I can top the STC Leap Card around Maynooth (i.e. can it be done at the train station?)

Also, anyone know when the Computer Science Dept. results are out?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Can anyone tell me where I can top the STC Leap Card around Maynooth (i.e. can it be done at the train station?)

Yep you can do it in the ticket machines at the train station, online or in the Londis shop beside the bus stop on main st :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Yep you can do it in the ticket machines at the train station, online or in the centra shop beside the bus stop on main st :)

As for the online thing, can anyone explain to me how, I couldn't get it to work on their website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Also, anyone know when the Computer Science Dept. results are out?
    :)

All results are due out within the next couple of weeks anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

As for the online thing, can anyone explain to me how, I couldn't get it to work on their website?

Topping up online is a stupid-ass way to do it - you have to select a 'load location' which means that instead of the credit going straight onto your card, you still have to beep it off a machine at a luas or train stop, or bring it to a shop with a leap topup machine anyways. Beeping it off a train/tram machine means that you're also tagged on for a journey so if you're trying to get a bus, don't do that, you'll waste like, four euro. Or you can validate it at a ticket machine but again, why do it online when you have to go to the machine anyways?
    Beeping it at shop doesn't tag you on either, but if you're going to the shop anyways, why not just top up there?

Not insulting you for wanting to do it, but rather insulting the functionality of it.

In any case, what you have to do is log into your leap account, select your leap card (if it's not registered, register it RIGHT NOW, because it's so handy - I lost my leap card, and rang them up, they sent me out a new card with the same amount of credit on it - you've nothing to lose by registering).
    At this point, you have to wait for the page to load. A green swirly thing should come up.
    Then select your load location - a luas line (red/green), a train station, or a shop (in Maynooth, that'd be Londis). Another swirly thing.
    Then select your amount. A third swirly thing.
    Hit next, at the bottom of the page.

It'll bring up your shopping cart, with nice pictures and everything*.
    *pictures for illustrative purposes only.

Proceed to checkout.
    Fill in card details.
    Confirm

Voilà, you might think! Card topped up!

But NAY!
    You then have to go to a LOAD LOCATION, which you selected earlier, and confirm the card top up. You may also have to wait 24-48 hours. It depends on how the system is feeling.
    But, oddly enough, all the LOAD LOCATIONS are actually places where you can top up your card without doing it online! And the topup goes through instantly!

I roll my eyes at this system, a lot.
    But that's how you do it!

O HAI U GUIZE!!!

Mnqup.gif

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Thanks Seren, I'm just being really negative at the moment but I'll be grand! :) No point in feeling sorry for myself! :pac:

Think I just got over it a bit, sat back and realised that an extra couple of hours a week is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Out at a family thing today, but gonna hit the MSC tomorrow instead of waiting till Wednesday.

tumblr_m9wqzn0Y4K1rrrfxf.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

SO MANY GIFS.

300sw047yusw9.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

tumblr_m9wqzn0Y4K1rrrfxf.gif

Thread defiled...

YOLOBABY XOXO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

YOLOBABY XOXO

Get out :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I hate my Monday timetable. :(

Thread defiled...
    If you think that's defiling the thread, wait until I post some of the awful music I listen to e.g. Nathan Carter. I DON'T EVEN CARE, HE'S AWESOME.

If you think that's defiling the thread, wait until I post some of the awful music I listen to e.g. Nathan Carter. I DON'T EVEN CARE, HE'S AWESOME.

How would one call for a de-mod-ifying?... :P

How would one call for a de-mod-ifying?... :P
    :P

Have any of you listened to the new MBV album? On my first listen and it's really good so far.

XOXO

• Advertisement

:P

Have any of you listened to the new MBV album? On my first listen and it's really good so far.

Not yet but I've seen everyone talk about so I suppose I should soon! I'm so behind with music these days...

Advertisement