Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

It's great yeah :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Got my earphones back
    Freddie-mercury-rage-pose-template.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ubuntu can go f'uck itself. Every time I try using it during CS143 labs, Firefox won't bother to load, and the back-up browser "Arora" can't even load the Google homepage! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Ubuntu can go f'uck itself. Every time I try using it during CS143 labs, Firefox won't bother to load, and the back-up browser "Arora" can't even load the Google homepage! :mad:

try deleting your .mozilla folder

open a terminal (ctrl + alt + t) and type
    rm -r .mozilla/

firefox should load for you after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I pretty much despise Ubuntu in general. Every time I try to something in the Terminal, it finds some way to screw me over. :(

• Advertisement

I don't know how to use Ubuntu in general. I will have a poorer understanding of CS as a result of this. :(

try it with rm -rf .mozilla then, just to be sure.

Ubuntu is great. Its very user friendly, it just doesn't want to be friends with you.

Daemos wrote: »
    Otherwise I weep for the future of our country

as do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Does anybody know if you can pass EC306 Econometrics by compensation. It's a compulsory module. It doesn't mention anything in the handbook. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

I kind of had this problem in my lab today. Whatever happened when I logged off earlier on in the day there was a breakdown in communication between my machine and the server. So the server thought I was still logged in on another machine and refused to open anything that I had open when I logged off the other machine (Firefox, OpenOffice and a few other things).

Took an hour and a half for one of the people in the CS department to fix it. Fair play to him though, was very helpful and explained what he was doing well so I suppose I learned from it. Apparently it's happened a few times now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Lads,

What are the chances I'll be allowed switch in to CSSE?

..and if I'm not allowed, how would I go about requesting a transfer to a different College (UCD, ITT, Trinity or something)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

marko93 wrote: »
    Lads,

..and if I'm not allowed, how would I go about requesting a transfer to a different College (UCD, ITT, Trinity or something)

You would have to contact the admissions offices of the relevant colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Thought I'd jump in here, hadn't seen the arts block kitties in aggges.. then the other day there was one of them (I assume it was one of the former kittens) and he was just begging for crisps.. poor little thing.. Anyone know if the arts block still leave milk out for them?

Lads,

What are the chances I'll be allowed switch in to CSSE?

Depends. Are you general science right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

GVNDNN wrote: »
    Does anybody know if you can pass EC306 Econometrics by compensation. It's a compulsory module. It doesn't mention anything in the handbook. :confused:

As far as I know it's not required. But you could double check with the department.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Depends. Are you general science right now?

I am indeed!

I am indeed!

Hmmmm... I'd imagine if your CS scores are high enough they'd consider it. Email the department for info about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

Hey people, If I was to do first year again but in a different course, how much would full fees be for an undergraduate? I was told 8grand by someone. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

karl_m wrote: »
    Hey people, If I was to do first year again but in a different course, how much would full fees be for an undergraduate? I was told 8grand by someone. :/

I think its less than that, but not by much

I think its less than that, but not by much

Now would that be 8grand a year or for the 3-4 years in total?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Only for the years you have previously done - if you're only if 1st year now you won't have to paid for 2nd, 3rd,4th. And it'll be 8 grand for the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

The year. I think it's only six/seven grand though. I could be wrong on that,I admit.
    Once you get past the year you've already done, you're alright,you don't have to pay full fees. You get one go at each year courtesy of the govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

You would only be liable for the full fees for any years you'd previously completed in a different degree. So if you were to change course and do 1st year again you'd have to pay full fees for that. But once you went in to second year you'd go back to paying the normal registration fee.

How so Joe wrote: »
    The year. I think it's only six/seven grand though. I could be wrong on that,I admit.
    Once you get past the year you've already done, you're alright,you don't have to pay full fees. You get one go at each year courtesy of the govt.

Thank you, unfortunately 6-8 grand is out of my budget. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

When you look at it laid out like that on the link Mickstupp provided, it's not as massive as you might think.
    You're always going to have to pay the student contribution and the student levy, so in reality you're only paying an extra three and a half grand.
    Now, I realise that's not exactly a small number, but it's just over as much again as what you're paying. Ergo if, over the course of a year, you can pay off the student contribution and levy, over two years or so you should be able to pay off the full fees.
    My boyfriend paid his off within about a year, by working full-time over the summer. It's tough, but it's not impossible.

Also, I only *just* got that mickstupp = mixed up. I feel really stupid now.
    Also also, is that the entire list of undergrads the college offers? Looks really short when you see them listed out like that!

When you look at it laid out like that on the link Mickstupp provided, it's not as massive as you might think.
    You're always going to have to pay the student contribution and the student levy, so in reality you're only paying an extra three and a half grand.
    Now, I realise that's not exactly a small number, but it's just over as much again as what you're paying. Ergo if, over the course of a year, you can pay off the student contribution and levy, over two years or so you should be able to pay off the full fees.
    My boyfriend paid his off within about a year, by working full-time over the summer. It's tough, but it's not impossible.

Also, I only *just* got that mickstupp = mixed up. I feel really stupid now.
    Also also, is that the entire list of undergrads the college offers? Looks really short when you see them listed out like that!

Yeah I can see where you're coming from, when listed out it doesn't seem so scary.

However I'm a guy going from pay 97e (I got full grant) to jumping up to 7.5 grand for a year is a leap haha, I will find a way. :D

I am indeed!
    Hmmmm... I'd imagine if your CS scores are high enough they'd consider it. Email the department for info about it.

This happens every year, talk to CS department (either the head of department or the CSSE course co-ordinator, last time I checked it was Charles Markham).
    The CS department are usually quite friendly, so drop them an email and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Also, I only *just* got that mickstupp = mixed up. !

A46JK.gif

banquo wrote: »
    A46JK.gif

I really do feel quite dumb. How long have I been on this forum? What else have I missed?? Is banquo actually a Shakespearian reference???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yes. My name used to be Robbbmm. It went like this on the registration page:

Rob
    "Taken"
    RobM
    "Taken"
    RobbM
    "Taken"
    RobbMM
    "Taken"
    RobbbMM
    "Accepted!"

But it got tricky at beers and meeting other boardsies at bus stops and train station platforms. So I emailed in one day and they said ''Yeah you can change your name but get back to us quickly." Was doing LC at the time, studying Macbeth, Banquo the first name that came to mind.

Unforseen consequence: memes like this one.

keep-calm-and-kill-banquo-4.png

Advertisement