Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

A little something for all you cat and boob lovers out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

What is this, I don't even...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

That's not nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

I'm pretty sure my life will be better for having not watched that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

How so Joe wrote: »
    As long as you haven't fallen down a well or something, I'm happy enough.
    Hope you're keeping well? :)

Have not fallen down any wells, that I know of anyway :P I am well, thanks for asking! Busy with work, but it's awesome so I don't mind. How is London treating you?
    A little something for all you cat and boob lovers out there

wat

• Advertisement

Seren_ wrote: »
    Have not fallen down any wells, that I know of anyway :P I am well, thanks for asking! Busy with work, but it's awesome so I don't mind. How is London treating you?

wat
    London is fine, nothing of note really, everything just ticking along. It's not as nice a college as Maynooth though. :(

If you ever do fall down a well, please tell me, and post pictures, because that would be an excellent story to tell at parties and things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Assuming the party is down a well

I'm so boooooorrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Just read a thread about the reality of IT grads. Well, I'll set course to Mainland Europe when I get my degree. Feck Ireland.

Mainland? Pfft, come to Britain, it's all going on here.

• Advertisement

How so Joe wrote: »
    Mainland? Pfft, come to Britain, it's all going on here.

Britain is actually my first stop providing all goes to plan, I hear they pay pretty well, even for grads.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

marko93 wrote: »
    Just read a thread about the reality of IT grads. Well, I'll set course to Mainland Europe when I get my degree. Feck Ireland.
    Britain is actually my first stop providing all goes to plan, I hear they pay pretty well, even for grads.

A good degree isn't a guarantee of a well paying job, but it certainly helps.
    That said even as a postgrad student I'm on peanuts compared to my friends in other countries.

Having experience and being to able to demonstrate that your not just some idiot who fell out of university with a 2.1 and can't code for toffee will make it easier.

Also it depends who you work for, some places pay pretty well (and have good benefits and a nice corporate culture) others don't.
    And of course people in Ireland don't haggle when it comes to negotiating a contract.
    The worst they can say is no.

Of course if its money your after, don't waste your time in the UK or in the EU, head west to Silicon Valley, claim you went to MIT and join a well funded start up company.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peacock169

So, i finally got confirmation that i have been awarded the grant from SUSI about a month ago. Had already paid half the fees due in the first semester as requested. I knew SUSI would have to inform Fees and Grants that i was eligible before a refund would be issued to me by Maynooth, which was fine.
    So i rang last Tuesday,
    Me: Hi there, i'm due a refund, blah blah blah, can you see if i'm on your system yet blah blah blah. Heres my student number.
    Fees and Grants: Why yes Mr Peacock, you are due lots of cash back and it will be in your bank this week.
    Me: (Stunned) Thats fantastic, i can get food for the kids now, Mrs Peacock can stop buying shampoo that makes her hair fall out,will it definitely be there this week?
    F&G:Absolutely,we check every week and refunds are issued straight away, Friday the latest in your account.
    Me: Thanks very much, that has cheered me up, might tackle a Biology essay or two now.

Obviously nothing there by Friday, rang this morning only to get through to security, " Fees and Grants?, sure they're on their holidays, wont be back until next Tuesday.
    Me: All of them?
    Security:Yeah
    Me: Thats clever isn't it?
    Security: Nothing to do with me pal.

Hate this kind of carry-on, how hard can it be to press a button or two.

Just as well the kids like rice.

peacock169 wrote: »
    Hate this kind of carry-on, how hard can it be to press a button or two.

I had a similar problem before.

I think a new staff incentive scheme is needed, but since we can't offer people any more money, nor is there any incentive for them to be better at their job since they will get paid regardless and they are ether on a ****ty contract or permanent and on (frozen) incremental pay increases.

So I think in light of all these problems we need a new system.
    If a member of staff of the university has failed to perform their job ether by incompetence or by inaction, you may slap them. BUT ONLY on the face and ONLY with an eel This website demonstrates the principal

So come next Tuesday, when Fees and Grants opens,
    Mister Peacock may enter, call upon the member of staff which informed him that his refund would be processed in a timely manner and deliver a swift slap of an eel. If the staff member feel that said eeling was unfair or unjust, they may explain what went wrong or challenge Mister Peacock to a dual.

This may sound stupid, or even frankly insane, but it would certainly stop the massive amounts of apathy and disrespect that some members of staff feel toward students.
    Otherwise what other option is there, complain? to who? and why should they care.

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    A good degree isn't a guarantee of a well paying job, but it certainly helps.
    That said even as a postgrad student I'm on peanuts compared to my friends in other countries.

Having experience and being to able to demonstrate that your not just some idiot who fell out of university with a 2.1 and can't code for toffee will make it easier.

Also it depends who you work for, some places pay pretty well (and have good benefits and a nice corporate culture) others don't.
    And of course people in Ireland don't haggle when it comes to negotiating a contract.
    The worst they can say is no.

Of course if its money your after, don't waste your time in the UK or in the EU, head west to Silicon Valley, claim you went to MIT and join a well funded start up company.

Excellent post, thread I read really was an eye opener.

May as well ask you, is there any sites to further my knowledge in Java and help me learn C/C#/C+/C++ that are user friendly?

Also was suggested I get involved in projects and open source stuff, any directions I should go, again, websites I should check out?

Really want my CV to stand out so I can travel the world and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Can't sleep, clown'll eat me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Was the clown's name, Pennywise?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Otherwise what other option is there, complain? to who? and why should they care.

And there you have it. Root of the problem.

banquo wrote: »
    And there you have it. Root of the problem.

Its a good thing I offered a clear solution. If the person who is in charge of handling complaints does nothing about it... slap them with an eel.
    Sometimes you'll have to slap you way about the campus to make sure it gets sorted.

But you know what they say... well...clearly I don't know what they say...but sure ya know yourself...

But I think after a couple thousand incidents of eel slapping we might just have slapped this place into shape.

The decentralized bureaucracy that runs this place won't like it, but nuts to them.

May as well ask you, is there any sites to further my knowledge in Java and help me learn C/C#/C+/C++ that are user friendly?

There's no such language as C+... the name C++ is a nerdy joke.
    C# and Java are quite similar,
    C and C++ are related. C++ is Object Orientated.

Oracle have a Java course online
    MIT have a nice introduction to C++

I'd suggest that you learn a dynamically typed language as well.
    Python and Ruby are both really popular at the minute.

Python would be my suggestion, its very useful to know.
    Its not as fast as C++ in terms of performance, but you get a lot more done in python in less time and with more of your hair attached.

You can try it out online too, www.trypython.org/ codecademy.com/tracks/python
    Also was suggested I get involved in projects and open source stuff, any directions I should go, again, websites I should check out?

Really want my CV to stand out so I can travel the world and work.

Some good suggestions is to keep up with the latest and greatest, news sites like Hacker News are a good way to see what the cool kids are doing these days.

If you want to contribute to opensource projects then I suggest you think of what feature is lacking in your favourite tool and see if you can add it.
    Maybe you've come across a problem and you write some code to solve it.
    If you want to get your hands dirty right away, some open source projects have a list of bugs/features they want people to take care of and they have a difficultly rating attached.

One really useful site is GitHub, it gives you space to host your code. You can also use it to host a personal page/blog. And is useful to stick on a CV.

Tell you what, this discussion could get a whole lot more technical.
    PM me if you want to grab a coffee sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

RTE Player Y YOU NO WORK !! >:( >:(

Excellent post yet again, appreciate it! Have very little free time sadly, science is a whóre for time consumption! May be able for a skype chat or something similar though? :P

Excellent post yet again, appreciate it! Have very little free time sadly, science is a whóre for time consumption! May be able for a skype chat or something similar though? :P

Skype seems a bit much, seeing as we both are in the same university...
    I'm here 9 til 6 most days, I can usually sneak in a quick coffee break.

Otherwise pop along to minds, I'm usually there.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭spartacus815

Got accepted into the masters programme in Immunology and Global health in Maynooth :)... on condition I get the results I need in the exams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Got accepted into the masters programme in Immunology and Global health in Maynooth :)... on condition I get the results I need in the exams :)

Congrats ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Happy International Excessively Eat Chocolate day everyone!

It's cold in my house. I'm hiding under my duvet with electric blanket under me and laptop warming my legs.
    Stupid heating breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

kellief wrote: »
    It's cold in my house. I'm hiding under my duvet with electric blanket under me and laptop warming my legs.
    Stupid heating breaking.

I'm in the same boat, We normally have the heating set to come on for an hour in the morning & evening but the landlord was in doing some maintenance over the weekend and turned it off. Housemate left his bedroom window open all weekend too so I came back to a freezing house that's only starting to warm up.

JayEnnis wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, We normally have the heating set to come on for an hour in the morning & evening but the landlord was in doing some maintenance over the weekend and turned it off. Housemate left his bedroom window open all weekend too so I came back to a freezing house that's only starting to warm up.

I live in my family home, the heating keeps going funny. It went a few weeks ago and dad fixed it, but now the restart button won't work. No hot water either! Using my neighbours for showers!
    No plumber until Tuesday!

• Advertisement

Advertisement