Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

banquo wrote: »
    The balcony off the postgrad tea room in JH could work nicely, unless it's for a panoramic shot. For a panoramic you're talking about roof of arts block, the entrance to which I'm sworn to secrecy on!
    Say what now?

For a panoramic you're talking about roof of arts block, the entrance to which I'm sworn to secrecy on!

Outside Class Hall F (i think) there's a metal stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

The lack of motivation I have when it comes to writing essays is not okay. I absolutely cannot write an essay unless it is due the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Novella wrote: »
    The lack of motivation I have when it comes to writing essays is not okay. I absolutely cannot write an essay unless it is due the next day.

You mean there is another way?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    You mean there is another way?

Somebody asked me today was my essay nearly finished and I was like, "No, I haven't started. Sure it's not due until Thursday". The look of horror on her face told me there is another way! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Somebody asked me today was my essay nearly finished and I was like, "No, I haven't started. Sure it's not due until Thursday". The look of horror on her face told me there is another way! :(

You are filling me with horror also. It took me 13 days over the Easter break to write two essays, six thousand words in total. To do the research, write the thing, organise so it flows right, edit, polish. Hell the editing and polishing never takes me less than a full day. They were all 12 hour days. And you know what? I was rushing those essays, it normally takes me two weeks per essay, sometimes more. My heart starts skipping beats when I hear about people attempting to write essays in just a day or two. I would die.

mickstupp wrote: »
    You are filling me with horror also. It took me 13 days over the Easter break to write two essays, six thousand words in total. To do the research, write the thing, organise so it flows right, edit, polish. Hell the editing and polishing never takes me less than a full day. They were all 12 hour days. And you know what? I was rushing those essays, it normally takes me two weeks per essay, sometimes more. My heart starts skipping beats when I hear about people attempting to write essays in just a day or two. I would die.

I honestly could not spend two weeks writing an essay.

This semester I have not made it to even one class for a particular module, as a result of being in the US, my granny being ill and the fact that I work until 3am every night, get home at 4am and the lecture is at 9am. So about three weeks ago, I had to write an essay on a topic I have essentially never heard of before in my life. All research (and I use that lightly!) and 1,500 words written in under three hours. I got 72%.

Maybe it's a first year thing, and the essay was easily marked or maybe it was pure luck but I sure hope it continues. I found that particular essay so unbelievably boring that I couldn't even proof-read it when I was finished.

As a disclaimer, I'm not totally disinterested in college! I just want to study Psychology but have to take two other subjects this year and I really hate the one I'm talking about here which is Philosophy.

I honestly could not spend two weeks writing an essay.

This semester I have not made it to even one class for a particular module, as a result of being in the US, my granny being ill and the fact that I work until 3am every night, get home at 4am and the lecture is at 9am. So about three weeks ago, I had to write an essay on a topic I have essentially never heard of before in my life. All research (and I use that lightly!) and 1,500 words written in under three hours. I got 72%.

Maybe it's a first year thing, and the essay was easily marked or maybe it was pure luck but I sure hope it continues. I found that particular essay so unbelievably boring that I couldn't even proof-read it when I was finished.

As a disclaimer, I'm not totally disinterested in college! I just want to study Psychology but have to take two other subjects this year and I really hate the one I'm talking about here which is Philosophy.

Logic Essay?

Logic Essay?

That's the one!

That's the one!

Who gives that lecture now?

And I am not in any position to tell people not to leave essays until the last minute but Logic is one you can get away with that kind of approach for, especially in first year, just don't think all essays will be like that.

And if you have missed a lot of lectures you might struggle coming into the exam, unless you just get it which makes it a bit easier.

Also be careful what you wish for regarding psychology....know a few people who were dead set on getting into it for second year, and wanted back out of it within a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Who gives that lecture now?

And I am not in any position to tell people not to leave essays until the last minute but Logic is one you can get away with that kind of approach for, especially in first year, just don't think all essays will be like that.

And if you have missed a lot of lectures you might struggle coming into the exam, unless you just get it which makes it a bit easier.

Also be careful what you wish for regarding psychology....know a few people who were dead set on getting into it for second year, and wanted back out of it within a few weeks.

Haydn?

Nah, I don't think all essays will go that way but I really don't care about my Philosophy grades, as long as I pass I am happy enough. That's totally the wrong attitude and I know it but I'm working a full-time job at the moment too so I'm doing the best I can with the time I have available.

I'm pretty certain Psychology is what I want. I'm not just out of Leaving Cert. so I've had a few years to think about this! Only time will tell I guess!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Novella, just be warned that Psychology gets much harder in second year! I didn't do it myself but I know people who did/are currently and they've told me all about it! It doesn't sound fun at all

Novella, just be warned that Psychology gets much harder in second year! I didn't do it myself but I know people who did/are currently and they've told me all about it! It doesn't sound fun at all

Thanks for the warning! It is something I really love though and I'm pretty sure once I don't have to worry about Philosophy anymore, I'll be a happy lady!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

The balcony off the postgrad tea room

I wish, graduate studies is up there now, it used to be NCG and NIRSA.
    Its was a nice place to drink coffee mind you.

You can ask nicely and they would let you use the balcony I'm sure.

Otherwise the Callan Building has a roof with access by the two stairwells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

the Roost does lovely dinner, om nom nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

2nd last week of the year coming up :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

2nd last week of the year coming up :eek:
    I can't get over how quickly this past few months has gone. A few more weeks and I'll be in my internship a full six months :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Same. I'll be four months into my phd next week. That's scary fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Time is moving to quickly! I have no time! Gah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Lots of inconsiderate people at the arts block computer room. Awful place to study.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Jonah42 wrote: »
    Lots of inconsiderate people at the arts block computer room. Awful place to study.
    How so? That's the only place I ever get any real work done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Just lotsa people yapping loudly. There's literallly 4 people beside me crowded around one computer not even trying to be quiet. I dont even care if they see me type this. Pain in the arse.

Headphones and music/rain noise, best friend.

Got f-all done in the reading room because the door never stopped moving, constant flow of people in and out all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

On a non-exam based note, anyone been in the new restaurant? Bistro something or other?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Just lotsa people yapping loudly. There's literallly 4 people beside me crowded around one computer not even trying to be quiet. I dont even care if they see me type this. Pain in the arse.
    Apparently the computer room beside Rye Hall is very good for studying.

On a non-exam based note, anyone been in the new restaurant? Bistro something or other?

I think its Bistro 53

Bistro 0 through 52 have so far been unaccounted for.
    (Maybe it was their 53rd idea what to do with the place)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

This the one that's replacing Greene's?

No, this one replaced that chipper that no one ever went to.

I feel like I should tell them that if this one doesn't work out they should try buying a subway franchise. I swear they'd make the cost of buying the franchise back from me alone.

Greenes will be back soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    Greenes will be back soon.

Fo' real? Now, I like Avenue but Greene's did a serious sea bass dish.

37216843.jpg

Advertisement