Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pleb41

Thwip! wrote: »
    How long were those panels there for? That vid has only been up for 5 months? Were those panels only put in in the last 5 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

That was the first video I could find for Bro Science...it's not necessarily the origin story :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pleb41

Alright, Thanks anyway. The gym is closed on Bank Holidays right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

pleb41 wrote: »
    Alright, Thanks anyway. The gym is closed on Bank Holidays right?

anyone know what time reading room is open till durin summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

7am - 11pm every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

banquo wrote: »
    7am - 11pm every day.

Thanks a million 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Having withdrawals from Maynooth. Wexford can suck it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Having withdrawals from Maynooth. Wexford can suck it.

I've been stuck in Wicklow since I deferred in November. You have no idea of the pain...

I do, that was me last year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Stuck in the arse end of nowhere in Meath. Though on the bright side I start working in Maynooth soon :D

• Advertisement

Moving to Gorey to be closer to work with two people that go to Maynooth (that also happened to start working in the same hotel as me) at the start of July so hopefully that will keep me ticking over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

In case things go south and one has to repeat when must the cheque for repeats be handed in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I hear tell you get a form and details along with your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Bit of a weird question, but does anyone know if the students who help during Orientation week for 1st years get paid? And also, how do you go about applying for it? I'll have moved up to Maynooth at that stage anyway and i'd rather be doing something and mixing with people (even if it is for free) rather than sitting at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

In case things go south and one has to repeat when must the cheque for repeats be handed in ?

I think the actual deadline is whatever day the results are released. (Source; had to shell out €240 for repeats in second year)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Bit of a weird question, but does anyone know if the students who help during Orientation week for 1st years get paid? And also, how do you go about applying for it?

Ya do yeah, a set amount for the week, plus lunch every day:)

Email Mary at students.union@nuim.ie, maybe cite any extra curriculars you've done.

I usually do it every year but can't this year so she might have a spot free:)

Anyone have any idea what the story is with a renewal application for a grant after deferring the previous year (during the academic year) for medical reasons?

Do I need anything extra and how do I show that I'm returning to college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Anyone have any idea what the story is with a renewal application for a grant after deferring the previous year (during the academic year) for medical reasons?

Do I need anything extra and how do I show that I'm returning to college?
    Sorry only getting around to replying to this now!!

Anyway, if I'm remembering correctly (it was 3 years ago when I had to do this now, which seems ridiculous!), along with all the usual stuff I needed a letter from the college to say I had deferred/deregistered, a letter from the doctor to say it was for medical reasons (they don't need to go into specifics, just say it was recommended by them to take time out etc), and a letter to say I had registered again. That bit is a pain, as you won't be able to fully apply until you've registered in September. But if you get in touch with the council and explain the situation, they might be able to provisionally grant you it so you don't have to pay reg fee et al. I had no problems when I applied after deferring, and my first grant cheque was in at the usual time with no delays.

Also, you'll have to register in person so you can just get your letter sorted then which is handy. It's usually on the Friday of the first week of the semester.

Seren_ wrote: »
    Sorry only getting around to replying to this now!!

Anyway, if I'm remembering correctly (it was 3 years ago when I had to do this now, which seems ridiculous!), along with all the usual stuff I needed a letter from the college to say I had deferred/deregistered, a letter from the doctor to say it was for medical reasons (they don't need to go into specifics, just say it was recommended by them to take time out etc), and a letter to say I had registered again. That bit is a pain, as you won't be able to fully apply until you've registered in September. But if you get in touch with the council and explain the situation, they might be able to provisionally grant you it so you don't have to pay reg fee et al. I had no problems when I applied after deferring, and my first grant cheque was in at the usual time with no delays.

Also, you'll have to register in person so you can just get your letter sorted then which is handy. It's usually on the Friday of the first week of the semester.

Thanks a mill! I actually ended up ringing the council and they said that I'll only need my fee waiver letter but tbh the girl didn't seem to have a clue so I might double check and get everything else anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Thanks a mill! I actually ended up ringing the council and they said that I'll only need my fee waiver letter but tbh the girl didn't seem to have a clue so I might double check and get everything else anyway!
    I think it depends on the council; Sligo just seemed to be particularly strict about having all the docs! Fee waiver letter is important, forgot I had to send in that too. Hope you get it sorted :)

Rarrrrr I've to be on a train into work in 7 hours ;____; damn distracting internet

• Advertisement

Guys if your final year results is at the range of 58 - 59.5 will the uni move it to a 2.1.

Its not a requirement that they do, but will they do so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

The official mark to get a 2.1 is, as far as I know, 591/1000.
    So if you're hitting 59, you have your 21. If you're on 58, 58.5, some departments will hold vivas for final years. But I think that's mainly science departments.

How so Joe wrote: »
    The official mark to get a 2.1 is, as far as I know, 591/1000.
    So if you're hitting 59, you have your 21. If you're on 58, 58.5, some departments will hold vivas for final years. But I think that's mainly science departments.

I did 12 modules in my final year so I have it has 710/1200. But to be on the safe side its more of 720/1200.

But on NUIM marks and standards a 2.2 is from 50 - 59 and 2.1 is from 60 - 69.

So if I get into the range 59.1 - 59.9,my fate is up to the department as it's does specifically state what the outcome is but I'm guessing they will act in the best interest of the student.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I did 12 modules in my final year so I have it has 710/1200. But to be on the safe side its more of 720/1200.

But on NUIM marks and standards a 2.2 is from 50 - 59 and 2.1 is from 60 - 69.

So if I get into the range 59.1 - 59.9,my fate is up to the department as it's does specifically state what the outcome is but I'm guessing they will act in the best interest of the student.

No, if you're in the range of 59.1-59.9, I think you're sorted. My masters is a first and it was 691.
    It's lower than that you run into the discretion of the department, afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yeah you do get paid. Contact the admissions office, go to the MAynooth webpage, services and supports, admissions office. The pay is **** btw, especially since you'll be on the lower grade of pay with the cuts etc. but you do get free sandwiches which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭spartacus815

I'm officially have my place on the Immunology and Global Health masters programme (due to us 4th year bios getting our degree classifications last week :) ) Delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Sure fire away there with your very loud discussion and group of 20 people at the display on the ground floor in the library. Never mind that people are trying to work. It's grand.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

How so Joe wrote: »
    No, if you're in the range of 59.1-59.9, I think you're sorted. My masters is a first and it was 691.
    It's lower than that you run into the discretion of the department, afaik.
    One of my lecturers told me yesterday that once you hit a 1 (at the end of the official hundreds marks) it gets rounded up to the next 10. So 691 = 700, 531 = 540, etc.

It's a bit obscure and I can't find it explained in detail on any of the sites. But then I haven't looked very hard... if they want to round up my marks let them at it! (Or that may have just been the way he does things?)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

I received my results and got 39% in a Spanish module from first semester. However, I passed the other two modules for Spanish in that semester. Should I not be able to pass this module by compensation seeing as it is not a required module.

Also,I know its a long shot, but if this is not possible can a student make a case to be passed , having received 39% ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Zipp101 wrote: »
    I received my results and got 39% in a Spanish module from first semester. However, I passed the other two modules for Spanish in that semester. Should I not be able to pass this module by compensation seeing as it is not a required module.

Also,I know its a long shot, but if this is not possible can a student make a case to be passed , having received 39% ?
    What does it say beside it? Fail or Pass by Comp? I got 26% in one of my Law exams in first semester but by Passed by Compensation

Advertisement