Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

For anyone who's had to repeat maths, what's the best way to study? I was thinking of re doing assignments and then attempting the exam papers! Would this be a good idea? Has anyone any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

marko93 wrote: »
    For anyone who's had to repeat maths, what's the best way to study? I was thinking of re doing assignments and then attempting the exam papers! Would this be a good idea? Has anyone any other suggestions?

Yeah, doing the assignments again is a good way. Also, only do exam papers set by the lecturer that you actually have, and are in the same format. A couple of years ago, a load of topics were shifted around between modules, so I think anything before 2009 is useless, exam paper-wise

Yeah, doing the assignments again is a good way. Also, only do exam papers set by the lecturer that you actually have, and are in the same format. A couple of years ago, a load of topics were shifted around between modules, so I think anything before 2009 is useless, exam paper-wise

Thanks! I'll try that, think MT101s has had one previous paper though, was changed and same with Stats. Just gonna have to do a lot of examples I guess! Repeating 4 maths courses will be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

^You might also go down and talk to them tomorrow. They could point you in some good directions, clarify where and why you missed out on marks, since they'll have your paper in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

what time does the consultation start and end ?

• Advertisement

mickstupp wrote: »
    ^You might also go down and talk to them tomorrow. They could point you in some good directions, clarify where and why you missed out on marks, since they'll have your paper in front of them.

Yeah! Just emailed them there about times etc, wouldn't miss a chance like that! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

what time does the consultation start and end ?
    I would imagine 10 to 4 or 5, depending on how many's there? If I were you I'd get there early, there may be a big queue, and it's not a five minute chat I'd say. You should mail the department secretary though, they'll give you precise times etc.

mickstupp wrote: »
    I would imagine 10 to 4 or 5, depending on how many's there? If I were you I'd get there early, there may be a big queue, and it's not a five minute chat I'd say. You should mail the department secretary though, they'll give you precise times etc.

I think it varies across departments, tbh. Only Biology sent me the actual times

Also, Marko; You're not the only one in that situation. I have 4 maths too (Third year though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I cannot get my phone to realise it is actually connected to my phone and update! Grr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Your phone is connected to your phone, is it? :P

• Advertisement

How so Joe wrote: »
    Your phone is connected to your phone, is it? :P

Today is not my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Hi guys does anyone know if callan hall (north campus) will be open tomorrow ?

I've to leave my house at 7 to get here at 9 and I've a phone interview at 10 so I want to use a pc to prep myself.

Also, Marko; You're not the only one in that situation. I have 4 maths too (Third year though)

I feel okay about them, I took a look over the courses today. There's few things that would be a hit or miss topic. Rest I just need to practice.

Best of luck! I can only imagine what you'll have to suffer through!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I've to leave my house at 7 to get here at 9 and I've a phone interview at 10 so I want to use a pc to prep myself.

The pcs in the Arts building should be available if that's any use ? AFIK Callan hall is closed for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gorugeen

Marko there are loads of past papers for calculus to do. Look up MT101,MT101s,MT103,MT103A,MT102,MT102s all from 2005. There are some topics (divergence for example) that you can ignore. Stats changed this year but the previous papers are ok for revision. What I did was do the papers and then check them on Wolfram Alpha. I also did the odd numbered problems in the text book. The worked solutions are online on the authors website.
    Do you use Khan Academy? I find his explanations waaay better than Dettas!
    Practice, practice, practice my friend.

Yeah only thing you can do is practice. Buy a bail of computer paper and start writing. Check them with internet/someone you know. Root out all your tutorial notes and corrected assignments to see where you went wrong.
    Might need a few grinds too if you've 4 papers to do. Start looking on here/other sub forums on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

aaabbbb wrote: »
    The pcs in the Arts building should be available if that's any use ? AFIK Callan hall is closed for the summer

The fact that I just had to look up Callan hall because I couldn't remember where it was proves that your mind really does just go blank over summer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Callan hall is on the south campus. You mean callan building.
    I think it's still open during the summer, I see no reason why it wouldn't be. But as mentioned before, the arts block certainly is, and I think rye hall pacr is open too. Plus you could always wander into an empty lecture hall and use the computer in there. You'll have no shortage of computers to use.

I realise that the library ground floor is open access to the public, with the computers there in an open setting, but the noise levels are really starting to take the mickey. There have been different events/conferences/tours going through the last week or so and while I appreciate that they are doing them during the summer when the numbers in the library are lower, there are still people trying to work here.
    I have closed ear headphones on fairly loud and I can still hear the noise of chatting and tours over them. I've moved around the library and the noise is travelling right through because of the smaller numbers. Plus the seats are the best in this area!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Hey, I have a question. After my second attempt at second science, I've come to the conclusion it isn't for me. I don't want to leave college altogether though, I'd like to go into another course. Do I have to take a year out and re apply to cao next year, or is there another route into a course in maynooth considering in already in the college?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Hey,

How much should I budget each week for food and nights out? Like what would be average?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

kellief wrote: »
    I realise that the library ground floor is open access to the public, with the computers there in an open setting, but the noise levels are really starting to take the mickey. There have been different events/conferences/tours going through the last week or so and while I appreciate that they are doing them during the summer when the numbers in the library are lower, there are still people trying to work here.
    I have closed ear headphones on fairly loud and I can still hear the noise of chatting and tours over them. I've moved around the library and the noise is travelling right through because of the smaller numbers. Plus the seats are the best in this area!

They have a big bucket of earplugs at the front desk, I've found them helpful in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Hey, I have a question. After my second attempt at second science, I've come to the conclusion it isn't for me. I don't want to leave college altogether though, I'd like to go into another course. Do I have to take a year out and re apply to cao next year, or is there another route into a course in maynooth considering in already in the college?
    You will need to re-apply to the CAO by July 22nd for another course. Get in touch with academic advisory office and they will help you out :)

What a long pointless day today was :/

What a long pointless day today was :/

Didn't get any worthwhile advice then I take it?
    Most lecturers are fed up with people crying at them to change their mark that they probably get a bit closed off by it all. Did you view your scripts?

Didn't get any worthwhile advice then I take it?
    Most lecturers are fed up with people crying at them to change their mark that they probably get a bit closed off by it all. Did you view your scripts?

Yeah, viewing my scripts was what made it pointless =L

I got a bit of advice out of one of the lecturers, but based on what I saw, it was basic errors that cost me

I barely done one of the questions in Intergral Calc, don't know why, but when I looked at it today I instantly knew what to do ;__; was so gutted.

I have headphones but its the fact that you can hear the noise above them that's the issue! Why can't the really comfy chairs be upstairs?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

You can hear noise in the Lobby all the way up on the 3rd floor, headphones can block it out on the 3rd floor though so at least that is something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

DylanII wrote: »
    Hey,

How much should I budget each week for food and nights out? Like what would be average?

Depends where you shop. Aldi is your best friend. Can do a week's worth of shopping for 10-20 euro

Advertisement