Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Post about maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

42!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

May as well rename the thread "I can haz maths help?" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Something about all this Maths talk in the general discussion thread just doesn't add up

81udHgl.gif

• Advertisement

Thwip! wrote: »
    Something about all this Maths talk in the general discussion thread just doesn't add up

81udHgl.gif

DE-MOD HIM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I love the little dance!!

Tomorrow I'm sending my dissertation to be printed and bound for a crippling price. Yesterday my brain decided that everything I've written is in fact a giant pile of poo and I now hate my dissertation and think it's a muddy repetitious mess. But something in the back of my head seems to remember someone saying they felt like this at the end of their MA too... Is this normal then? Should I stop spiralling into a gooey mess of panic and heart palpitations? Or just run with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mickstupp wrote: »
    Tomorrow I'm sending my dissertation to be printed and bound for a crippling price. Yesterday my brain decided that everything I've written is in fact a giant pile of poo and I now hate my dissertation and think it's a muddy repetitious mess. But something in the back of my head seems to remember someone saying they felt like this at the end of their MA too... Is this normal then? Should I stop spiralling into a gooey mess of panic and heart palpitations? Or just run with it...

Don"t panic, although that's easy to say now.. I struggled to get mine finished, was convinced it was terrible but had to get it printed and bound because it was our 'final deadline extension'. Got home to find some people had gotten extensions until the day before exams (which were then extended until the week after exams finished) and felt like crying because I could have made it so much better with even an extra 24 hours. Spent the twwo months between handing it in and getting the results convinced that I would get a terrible mark, and working out how it would impact my overall grade....ended up getting a first for it.

If you're anything like me you will be your own biggest critic, which can be a pain in the hole when writing but pays off with marks. Another thing I noticed is that stuff I wrote often seemed more academic, and better written on the physical page than on the computer screen.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

What date in September does the semester start? Need to sort out when I'll need to finish work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Seren_ wrote: »
    What date in September does the semester start? Need to sort out when I'll need to finish work.

Monday the 23rd. See here:

http://registrar.nuim.ie/ImportantDates.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

As I mentioned in another thread I got 39% in an exam (which I found out I could not compensate) and really don't want to have to repeat it.

With regards to making a claim to pass the module, would I be better off getting it re-checked or appealing the result ?

Zipp101 wrote: »
    As I mentioned in another thread I got 39% in an exam (which I found out I could not compensate) and really don't want to have to repeat it.

With regards to making a claim to pass the module, would I be better off getting it re-checked or appealing the result ?

Did you go to the consultation day and view your script?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Did you go to the consultation day and view your script?

No, unfortunately I couldn't make it. I discussed passing by compensation with my year head via phone on this day though,which was not an option.

No, unfortunately I couldn't make it. I discussed passing by compensation with my year head via phone on this day though,which was not an option.

I would've thought if it was a 39% then because it's a borderline number it's probably been checked at least three times. Twice by the corrector who then would have passed it to someone else in the department (because of the 9), and probably to externals too. Getting it rechecked might be pointless. If you have to pay for an appeal, you may be wasting money because you'll probably have to pay for the repeat anyway... and since it already got through the process once, the appeal on a 39% may not make a difference either. It's not like a 69% or a 59% that might affect your overall degree mark. A 39% probably leaves too much room for improvement for the appeals people to even entertain the brief thought of letting you through.

All that's my opinion though, I have no idea about the actual process, just guessing.

But I say start studying for the repeat.

Well, then you're only left with a couple of options, as appealing seems to be out the window too.

1) August repeat.
    2) External or Internal repeat for one module next year, which seems to be a bit of a waste of time.

There's ~5 weeks till the August repeats, so there's loads of time to study for just one module, especially one where you need just a 1% improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Well, then you're only left with a couple of options, as appealing seems to be out the window too.

1) August repeat.
    2) External or Internal repeat for one module next year, which seems to be a bit of a waste of time.

There's ~5 weeks till the August repeats, so there's loads of time to study for just one module, especially one where you need just a 1% improvement.

Guys,

A mate of mine thinking of skipping the graduation. Is it a big deal.

He did a B.A in finance & Econs and apparently got second or 1st overall among those who did the course.

Won't he get any awards ? I also said he might have to pay to get the official certificate sent to his house is it true ?

A question of mine is can I get a digital copy of my certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Graduation is a good day out. You don't have to go, but certainly it's fun to dress up and celebrate the years of hard work you've put into getting as far as an actual degree. Missing it isn't the worst thing in the world, though.
    If he got a prize for coming first in his class, it will be given at a separate awards ceremony in October/November (during half term). Not all classes give prizes, though.

He doesn't have to pay to have his parchment posted out, they'll do that free gratis.

As far as I know if you want a digital copy of your parchment, you're going to have to scan it. A word of warning - they're bigger than A4, so make sure you have a big enough scanner.

I enjoyed the ceremony and the speech. Cool getting your degree after all the work. But in a group of a couple of hundred I only knew three people, which was crap. But they do Arts in one big alphabetical lump, no subject divisions. Or at least they used to.

It may not be a big deal for some people, but it's almost always a big deal for the parents. So maybe it's more a day for them really. For me, I went to college late, never thought I'd go or even be able to get a degree, it was definitely a big deal for me. And for years I'd be visiting friends and seeing their graduation pictures on a shelf and kinda wishing I had one of those... but I made sure to pull the most outrageous stupid faces. Which means every time I see me grad pictures I laugh.

Damn sure I won't be missing the MA graduation.

Oh, I think you only have to pay if you want your parchment in English... friend of mine did and they charged her fifty. Because after all it takes a lot of work to open the other PDF, change the name, and press Print.

• Advertisement

Well, to be fair, you have to pay if you want a second parchment in Latin as well. They'll give you one in Latin, then any more will cost you.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

How so Joe wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, you have to pay if you want a second parchment in Latin as well. They'll give you one in Latin, then any more will cost you.

But they won't let you get your first one in English without charging . I asked for one in English instead of Latin and was told only if I paid the €50.

Bobsammy wrote: »
    But they won't let you get your first one in English without charging . I asked for one in English instead of Latin and was told only if I paid the €50.

That's a fair point; I was about to say that too, but it would have involved too much typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Spotted: a Pedo Bear teddy earlier today in Chinatown in Kuala Lumpur. Obv had to post this wonderful sighting on an Internet foum as peeps wouldn't get it IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Caulfield's is no more - when did that happen?

Planemo wrote: »
    Caulfield's is no more - when did that happen?

Aaaaaaaaaaages ago. Reopening though, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Yeah it's open under new management, it's called McMahon's or something.

Open at the moment isn't it? Apparently old manager is returning

Thwip! wrote: »
    Open at the moment isn't it? Apparently old manager is returning

Look, I was last in Maynooth town in May, so I was unaware! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Summer gets sort of boring after a while doesn't it... I'm actually looking forward to starting back in a few months.

Advertisement