Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can only speak for that one year but the bridge was always well gritted.

That particular year I slipped on it and ended up on a crutch for (thankfully only) a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭spartacus815

Having problems booking the tickets for the grad ball. I've booked the tickets once and got this message
    uninitialized constant AccountRegistry::DevelopmentRealexPaymentGateway and then again booked and got the same message... Can you guys help??? Don't want to be charged twice!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Having problems booking the tickets for the grad ball. I've booked the tickets once and got this message
    uninitialized constant AccountRegistry::DevelopmentRealexPaymentGateway and then again booked and got the same message... Can you guys help??? Don't want to be charged twice!!!!!!

I usually just ask Alt_Grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Go into the SU/ring the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

Tell that to the number of people I know who suffered from broken bones and other injuries from that Bridge! I was always petrified walking over it. It was the only time I'd ever slow down from my usual fast walk (and normally extra fast because I was probably late! )

Really? I never saw or heard of anyone getting hurt on that bridge and I was there for 3 years 2 of which had snow. Always thought people overestimated how slippy and how steep it was.

Now that hill on the playground side of the canal that brings you up to the Straffen Road was a different thing entirely in the snow and ice. Remember seeing a load of secondary school pupils slip down it one day during the snow in 2010 and decided not to go down it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

kksaints wrote: »
    Really? I never saw or heard of anyone getting hurt on that bridge and I was there for 3 years 2 of which had snow. Always thought people overestimated how slippy and how steep it was.

Now that hill on the playground side of the canal that brings you up to the Straffen Road was a different thing entirely in the snow and ice. Remember seeing a load of secondary school pupils slip down it one day during the snow in 2010 and decided not to go down it.

I started in 09 so I think that's three years worth of the bridge and I know a good few who were injured in some way or another on it. It was easy enough to fall on that in the best of times, with ice it was deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

kksaints wrote: »

*evil snicker*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

First time I saw the big slope beside the library I thought... I hope there's an impromptu sledding society next time there's snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

mickstupp wrote: »
    First time I saw the big slope beside the library I thought... I hope there's an impromptu sledding society next time there's snow.

There'll be involuntary ice-skating if people keep standing around chatting on it and I'm late.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

sorry if this has been coverd havnt really looked! when do the time tables for the august repeats and for the next academic year come out? thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Repeat timetable isn't out yet. See here:

http://examinations.nuim.ie/timetables.shtml

Timetable for next term:

http://registrar.nuim.ie/ImportantDates.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭upinthesky

for first year science biology and chemistry how many hours labs in total a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peacock169

3 hours for Biology and 2 hours for Chemistry. Chemistry workshops, instead of labs,(generally working on what you have previously learned in labs and lectures) are 3 hours. Chemistry also have tutorials and feedback sessions week on, week off,1 hour, torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

peacock169 wrote: »
    Chemistry also have tutorials and feedback sessions week on, week off,1 hour, torture.

The most beneficial hour every week. Especially the feedback sessions! (:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peacock169

Always seemed to be scrambling to finish the tutorial on the Sunday (if done properly);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭upinthesky

peacock169 wrote: »
    3 hours for Biology and 2 hours for Chemistry. Chemistry workshops, instead of labs,(generally working on what you have previously learned in labs and lectures) are 3 hours. Chemistry also have tutorials and feedback sessions week on, week off,1 hour, torture.
    Great thanks, just taking a look at last years timetable and working out how many hours I will be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

lisar816 wrote: »
    Great thanks, just taking a look at last years timetable and working out how many hours I will be doing.

Probably about 20 or so. Science is a full week. Or at least for me it was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

marko93 wrote: »
    Probably about 20 or so. Science is a full week. Or at least for me it was

I have really realised how lucky I was to pass my exams this year, (granted it was only first year) but I barely went to any lectures or anything. It's a terrible habit to get into (and it really is a habit) so I hope I won't fall into the same trap next year.

Honestly though I only had 14 hours a week including 3 tutorials, and it was a good week for me if I went to 6/7.

THANKFULLY i'll have labs and practicals next year so it means i'll have to go or i'll suffer in terms of attendance marks.

I just remember missing a lecture or two and thinking there was no point in me going to that lecture until I caught up on the material I had missed (which I never did) so I actually just never went.

NEVER AGAIN, exam time was so stressful when I realised I had 2 exams where I was supposed to read 10 books between them and literally only sparknoted 1 book from each 3 hours before hand. That was stress central I tell ya

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

question.
    Are the timetables the same every year? like for example say if i look at the second years course timetable from last year and it says EnglishX at 9 am on friday will it be the same time this year when i go into second year?

Toshi101 wrote: »
    question.
    Are the timetables the same every year? like for example say if i look at the second years course timetable from last year and it says EnglishX at 9 am on friday will it be the same time this year when i go into second year?

Not usually. Most year-to-year similarities tend to be coincidence.

• Advertisement

Not usually. Most year-to-year similarities tend to be coincidence.

I don't know. My lecture times have nearly always been very similar to the year before and that's from two different subjects.

I don't know. My lecture times have nearly always been very similar to the year before and that's from two different subjects.

Huh. I've always gotten a lot a timetable changes for Science

Huh. I've always gotten a lot a timetable changes for Science

Must be per course / department. Mine are law and history.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Must be per course / department. Mine are law and history.
    Hopefully it will change for Law next year. Law department just loves 9am lectures especially on Fridays :(

Edit: Just checked last year's timetable: Monday 10am, Tuesday 9am, Wednesday 9am, Friday 10am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Paczini wrote: »
    Hopefully it will change for Law next year. Law department just loves 9am lectures especially on Fridays :(
    I wouldn't mind early lectures on a Friday if it meant you finished early. Last semester my Fridays were one lecture at 9 and one at 3 - infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Planemo wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind early lectures on a Friday if it meant you finished early. Last semester my Fridays were one lecture at 9 and one at 3 - infuriating.
    As I am usually hungover on Friday mornings I HATE early lectures. I had Fridays off in First year :(

Paczini wrote: »
    As I am usually hungover on Friday mornings I HATE early lectures. I had Fridays off in First year :(

I had triple constitutional and admin law on Fridays in first year! I had felt sorry for you but not anymore!

*grumble* Kids these days don't know how well they have it. Back in my day... *grumble*

EDIT: I must correct myself. It was a double but time went by so slowly it could feel like a quadruple sometimes! The BBLs however did have a triple business before having to suffer the double. ALL on a Fri morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

I had Fridays off last year too. It's not even a consideration for next year though. Not a chance! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

It's my final year so I'm hoping that my first lecture is at 9/10am and last at 4/5 every day in the hope that I spend the time inbetween at the library ... I need a first to get into my post grad... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Toshi101 wrote: »
    question.

It'll give you a pretty good idea, my sister started science six years after I did and our first year timetables were practically identical.

Advertisement