Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mater hospital - Oh holy jesus!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

jetsonx wrote: »
    The current third-world state of the health service is a result of years of
    HSE and Fianna Fail mismanagement.

Spending on health budget and Ministers for Finance

Charlie McCreevy 2002 6.5 billion
    Brian Cowan 2008 15.5 billion
    Michael Noonan 2012 13.6 billion

Just a few minutes of googling, the info is easy to find

Fianna Fáil pumped huge money into health

So where is it going? :confused:
    Is there a black hole somewhere?

I'm hearing all these protests and crying about cutbacks.
    But maybe the budget is big enough and they don't need any more money, they have enough money but just manage to piss a lot of it away

So maybe stop pumping in more and more money until the entire area is audited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

subscriber wrote: »
    Im living in dublin on a short term basis and today had to spend 10 hours in the mater (public) hospital today due to unforeseeable circumstances, I have never in my life witnessed such a low standard of hygiene in any hospital or any other public health premises for that matter.

The stink of piss in the emergency department waiting room is enough to make anyone throw up not to mention the amount of junkies and prisoners from the joy across the road falling around the place either on a come down from some illicit substance or starting arguments with other patients and generally being loud, arrogant and annoying. ............

Is there an A&E anywhere in a largish city that isn't like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Nodin wrote: »
    Is there an A&E anywhere in a largish city that isn't like that?

I have to say my home county a and e is in a large city and standards far exceed the mater....

Not being confrontational but it is true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I have to say my home county a and e is in a large city and standards far exceed the mater....

Not being confrontational but it is true...

Well I was in the Mater A&E(in 2003) and it was much as you describe. I was in Tallaght A&E(few months back) and it was far cleaner and better run, though still full of the lovely folk you mentioned.

Where/Which is your home country, might I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

i had the misfortune of delivering a " acquaintance " to A+E in the matter during the good old tiger era , he was drinking in a pub , got mouthy with some locals from sheriff st area , ( he was the most obnoxious person on the planet with beer on him )
    so when he next went to the toilet the gentlemen he was annoying followed him in and gave him a double Glasgow grin for his troubles
    ( for those who dont know its 2 razor blades with a match in between , makes a cut that is near imposable to repair )
    so from ear to mouth cut to ribbons and PUMPING blood we were thrown from the pub after asking for a ambulance to be called for ( friendly Ireland my hole ) , so after paying a taxi driver 4 times the normal price we got to the matter,
    thinking he would be a emergency case, to say i was shocked at what happened next is a major understatement

the nurses rolled eyes up wards , cursed something at us and told us to follow them to this room , went in and nearly dies with the vista before me

a room that would normally hold 4/6 beds had about 15 mattresses laid out on the floor , and on all were people in different states of horror , blood and vomit EVERYWHERE , people moaning , some fighting , real war zone stuff

we ask where should we put him , they said anywhere we liked , we asked when will he be seen to due to the blood loss , response was when he sobers up ( he was unconscious by either blood loss or alcohol )

all we could do was dump him on this scabby mattress and leave

it could have been Sarajevo in the Balkans wars - a real opener and i have seen some mad ****e in my time

saw him briefly a few week later,
    and it looked like Edward scissors hands had stitched him up .
    and on a tragic note he was murdered in another pub , apparently he was talking when he should have been listening , pity really when off the soupy he was hyper intelligent - with novels and screenplays to his name

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

pumping money into our health care system with its massively over paid "top brass" is like pumping water into a hose with holes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

People do not seem to realise how bad a state most of the ED's are in this country. This is largely not the fault of the staff who are overworked and working in cramped positions.
    This all has a knock on effect on the ambulance service, And often there can be 5 or so ambulances waiting to unload in some of Dublin's hospitals due to lack of trolleys.
    Its not good enough, Its very dangerious but its what we got.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

cloud493 wrote: »
    Hospitals have to do the best they can with what they have. If they don't have the money, they don't have the money. Cutbacks and what not.
    Sorry - I cannot agree with that. There is NO excuse for poor hygiene in hospitals. Cutbacks or not. Perhaps if the cleaners were supervised by in-house HSE staff than themselves then things might change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yes but if doctors and nurses are underpaid. and or overworked, if you tell them they have to supervise clean up time too, not gonna be happy bunnies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If the €100 household was used to improve something like this would more people pay it?
    No. Why? Because the ruling/organisational sector in this country couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery.
    What does one expect when cutbacks are enforced?

You never get more with less.

You get less with less
    Yea AB that's a common explanation/excuse, the problem is that in the boom they had plenty of money. Indeed Ireland has one of the highest funding levels among health services in the EU.... annnnnd we're back to pissups in breweries. I've sadly had personal experience of their sheer inefficiency, even medical malpractice on more than one occasion and I don't hold out much hope for the future. Not unless there is a big shakeup and since turkeys won't vote for xmas... It has a huge admin population, yet ask doctors on the ground how much paperwork they have to fill out. Daft. This is having a real effect on people's health. Compare the survival stats for breast and bowel cancer in Ireland compared to other EU nations and the diffs are stark. About the only area we excel in is pregnancy and birth and fair play, but IMHO and IME that's down as much to the dedication of folks at the sharp end against the odds, than any management expertise and application.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Yes but if doctors and nurses are underpaid. and or overworked, if you tell them they have to supervise clean up time too, not gonna be happy bunnies.

Why would Doctors and Nurses have to do it? FFS.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Underpaid Doctors? I know of one Doctor who last week walked into a car showroom and spent 200,000 euro on two cars

Underpaid Doctors? I know of one Doctor who last week walked into a car showroom and spent 200,000 euro on two cars

1 doctor =/= all the doctors.

The guys staffing A and E in the middle of the night are definitely not the guys buying new Range Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Not the dirtiest according to this 31/03/2012

"Our Lady of Lourdes in Drogheda has been ranked by patients as Ireland's dirtiest hospital, according to latest statistics from irishhealth.com's ‘Rate My Hospital' Service.

The Drogheda Hospital is last in a hygiene league table of over 50 hospitals, with a hygiene score of 51% by patients and their relatives who rated its hygiene standards on the ‘Rate My Hospital' website...................Of the 'big five' major teaching hospitals in Dublin, Beaumont, the Mater and St Vincent's score lowest on hygiene on ‘Rate My Hospital', each with a score of 63%, while St James's has been voted the cleanest, with a score of 69%"

Nothing to do with money, from 2005

Over 90% of Irish hospitals fall below acceptable hygiene and cleanliness standards, according to a major new report.

The country's 54 acute hospitals were rated as good, fair or poor in terms of hygiene standards in a national audit and only 9% (five hospitals) were rated as good, with 43% rated as only fair in terms of hygiene and a massive 48% or 26 hospitals rated as poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Wards used to be run by nuns and nursing was a vocation

Now nursing is a graduate career with graduate salaries, clipboard holding goes on and many wanting to be a manager while the assistants get stuck into the real work that nurses used to do

Was it realy worse in the old days when a sister and her team ran the ward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

That is f*cking disgraceful OP. I totally understand your reaction, I would be flipping out.

AngryBollix, you were saying is it the doctors job to clean up after themselves, it most definitely is.
    I'm studying in the biological sciences field, and like healthcare, it's basic procedure to always take hygiene/infection control seriously. If you are using equipment, even disposable sharps or plastics, you should most definitely clean up after yourself.
    Who else is gonna know exactly what you've been handling? They could come along without gloves and pick up contaminated disposables.

Regular cleaning staff should not be around medical/biological waste without proper training. And even then, I think it's the practicioners responsibility to take care of waste themselves. Unfortunately, there's people in labs/medical fields who will never understand the seriousness of the issue, and that drives me up the wall.

So I totally support the OP. Wouln't blame him for filing a complaint. And if he works in healthcare service, he most definitely has more insight into the field, even if it's not as a doctor/nurse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The creation of a two tier system is and always will be the problem.

Nothing to do with it. A&E is largely one tier.

And cutbacks my arse, health spending is more than double where it was 10 years ago, and the population hasn't doubled or aged etc. Its the HSE's fault.

EDIT:

and the junkies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

How would you explain it? Particularly the removal of needles and waste materials for wards and A&E etc.

Is this a job or doctors and nurses? The hand washing aspect is their responsibility alone but the rest I'm not so sure about

I work in an industry where there are lots of nasty chemicals and potentially hazardous materials if not treated or disposed of correctly.

If I come across something that isn't part of my daily job, but I know its a potentially harmful/dangerous situation.....wait for it...... it becomes my responsibility, to either deal with it safety or contact the correct people to deal with it.

The unionised bull$hit attitude pi$$es me off royally about working in Ireland, its always someone else's fault/cause/problem etc.

Dermighty wrote: »
    I'm a bouncer...so technically I work in the private security sector, entertainment industry, the hospitality sector and in a customer service role. The fact is none of that means anything.

Just because you work in the healthcare sector doesn't mean you're a good judge of hospital hygiene standards.

What you saw was probably a hangable offense in some/all/most hospitals, just highlighting that unless you're a doctor or a nurse or a health inspector then your opinion is no better than any elses opinion.

So I work in healthcare but I am not a doctor, nurse, or healthcare inspector, my opinion is no better than the general public.

I have to disagree with this having studied hospital based hygiene and infection control as part of my course and my training for my profession, how would my opinion not carry more weight compared with that with someone of a different profession who has no studied these things??

Also, ALL health care professionals are trained about infection control and hygiene standards to the same level so why would only a doctor, nurse, or healthcare inspectors view matter more than a physio, speech language therapist, paramedic or healthcare assistant when they all work in the same building and have all sat the same course on hygiene standards??

Answer Please....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

So I work in healthcare but I am not a doctor, nurse, or healthcare inspector, my opinion is no better than the general public.

I have to disagree with this having studied hospital based hygiene and infection control as part of my course and my training for my profession, how would my opinion not carry more weight compared with that with someone of a different profession who has no studied these things??

Also ALL health care professionals are trained about infection control and hygiene standards to the same level so why would only a doctor, nurse, or healthcare inspectors view matter more than a physio, speech language therapist paramedic or healthcare assistant when they all work in the same building and have all sat the same course on hygiene standards??

Answer Please....

It doesn't matter where you work, his argument is a false argument to authority. The idea that only doctors can know about hygiene is nonsense, any reasonably educated adult can understand the issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Are other hospitals in dublin like this or is it just the mater? Today was the first time I attended a hospital in dublin so I don't know how it stacks up to the other hospitals??

If you were a native Dub then you'd be immune to the resident germs in City hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Wibbs wrote: »
    It has a huge admin population, yet ask doctors on the ground how much paperwork they have to fill out. Daft. This is having a real effect on people's health.
    I'll tell you what Wibbs, in Singapore they managed to cut admin costs to about 5% of what they used to be by making patients records electronic. In Ireland the gougers managed to turn a €7 million project with the same aim into a €150 million failure after 9 years, and if you think that was accidental you've another think coming (PPARS).

The Dutch spend about the same per capita as us between insurance and taxes, but they have the best health system in the OECD. By comparison we land somewhere around number 16.

And health is only the tip of the iceberg. By god I could eat fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I was in Temple Street today with baby & have to say couldn't fault them, hygiene was top notch,thankfully

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Have been down in the Mater 10-12 times in the last 8 years with my mother.I work in medical devices and if a lot of the Mater staff worked in private industry they would be fired. The old A&E, they just spent their time sitting in the cubicle on computers. Whatever you hear about health stats. 150 people on trolleys - with 30 staff, 10 mins per patient = max 1 hour to see everyone. There is no management there. I went down myself about 1 year ago, paid 100 euro, spent 11 hours in A&E waiting to be seen. When I asked what the story was I was told by some idiot nurse to
    sit down, obviously been on some customer management course, I just left. Privatise the health system, current A&E system is a joke.
    I will say, when my mother got into a ward, the nurses were good. Not as good as the nursing home she is in now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

My granddad was sick and in the Mater a few years ago. We were absolutely appalled and disgusted by the levels of hygiene in that place. I would go as far as to say it was degrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The stink of piss in the emergency department waiting room is enough to make anyone throw up not to mention the amount of junkies and prisoners from the joy across the road falling around the place either on a come down from some illicit substance or starting arguments with other patients and generally being loud, arrogant and annoying.

Quite naive aren't you? You should see some of the waiting rooms in New York or London. The Emergency Room is the frontline interface and the most common point of access for the public into the hospital environment. Unfortunately, patients do come in reeking of piss, covered in vomit or blood. High on drugs or píssed drunk and they often try to punch, kick, bite or indeed headbutt nurses or doctors trying to treat them. Indeed, this is not unique to Dublin or Ireland. So If you are looking for the Hilton, I'm afraid you won't find it in an ER. Frontline staff are usually too busy having to do 3-4 jobs at once. The smell of píss is the least of their worries. So get a grip and cop yourself on.
    Once finally in the treatment area, I was seen by one of the junior (teenage) doctors

Not possible I'm afraid because before one even reaches a position of JHO, you will first have to obtain a degree in medicine. Thus you will be well out of your teen years before even reaching clinical practice.

who proceeded to examine me without either washing his hands or putting on a pair of sterile gloves.

I will admit, I've had many a battle with predominantly foreign colleagues regarding hand washing techniques, disposing of gloves and not using tourniquets between patients ect.

I also noticed a few needle caps (non sharp) just discarded on treatment trolley's after doctors had finished hanging drips for patients.

Needle caps? After cannulation, there are no needles required in establishing IV access, nor in starting IV Fluids. Starting an IV giving set with a bag of Normal Saline ect, does not involve nor require needles I can assure you. But I do appreciate you are a layperson, hence your obvious confusion.
    On another clinical table, a doctor had finished treating a patient and there was a relatively small patch of blood left on the bed clothes.. Did he clean it up before the next patient?? You guessed it....

Yes, I did guess that the doctor was probably way too busy to even notice it. And no it wouldn't be a doctor's job to clean up blood. Undoubtedly though, the cleaning staff are probably equally over stretched and short staffed.

At the end of my visit I was offered an overnight stay for a minor surgery tomorrow morning but considering it wasn't immediately life threatening I declined

Quite remarkable to have such quick access to minor surgery, especially since you went via the ER department. Any day case list I have ever dealt with, usually involves a 3-4 week wait and that's only for private patients, never mind public patients. So it would appear that you are very, very unique.

Whether you are in The Mater, The Royal Marsden or The Mayo Clinic, hospitals are and shall remain the dirtiest and most contaminated environment you will ever find yourself in. Most people of course don't realise this simple fact. So OP, rather that bítch and moan about it here. Why didn't you march over to the Admin offices and voice your displeasure to them. Because you will find a lot of clipboard carrying, non-essential over paid bollocks going around in their power suits. While Frontline doctors and nurses remain dangerously understaffed and over worked.

I left the ER environment because and I wasn't prepared to put up with the abuse or violence that is frequently directed at staff. I have seen medical and nursing colleagues getting teeth knocked out and back at work the next day to cover shifts. Yet my Garda mate, was out for 4 months because he hurt his shoulder arresting a 13 year old. I usually avoid these type of threads, but when you read some of the clueless bullshít posted, sometimes you just can't let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

OP, you've just described James' hospital! The only hospital I will not refuse to be treated in (i.e. the one I go to) is Vincent's ,although throughout the years i've seen quite a few misshaps there too, never as bad as the Mater/James' though.

OP, why did you allow the dr to proceed examining you without gloves?? did you not say anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Ah sure once the bondholders get paid right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Ah sure once the bondholders get paid right.
    Throwing more money at the health system won't help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Im living in dublin on a short term basis and today had to spend 10 hours in the mater (public) hospital today due to unforeseeable circumstances, I have never in my life witnessed such a low standard of hygiene in any hospital or any other public health premises for that matter.

The stink of piss in the emergency department waiting room is enough to make anyone throw up not to mention the amount of junkies and prisoners from the joy across the road falling around the place either on a come down from some illicit substance or starting arguments with other patients and generally being loud, arrogant and annoying.

Once finally in the treatment area, I was seen by one of the junior (teenage) doctors who proceeded to examine me without either washing his hands or putting on a pair of sterile gloves. I also noticed a few needle caps (non sharp) just discarded on treatment trolley's after doctors had finished hanging drips for patients. On another clinical table, a doctor had finished treating a patient and there was a relatively small patch of blood left on the bed clothes.. Did he clean it up before the next patient?? You guessed it....

For the love of Jesus like, if you work in a hospital like, infection control is medicine 101 here folks....

At the end of my visit I was offered an overnight stay for a minor surgery tomorrow morning but considering it wasn't immediately life threatening I declined having decided to have it done when I go back to my home county in a few weeks and proceeded to leg it out the door, god forbid would I pick up some weird and wonderful disease.....

I'm seriously considering writing a letter to HIQUA after my experiences there today...

Venture to the mater if you must but you would not want to be sick going in there or your prob better off staying at home....

Are other hospitals in dublin like this or is it just the mater? Today was the first time I attended a hospital in dublin so I don't know how it stacks up to the other hospitals??

Do the part in bold. Now!

• Advertisement

i started this thread to voice an opinion and an experience I had. I also wanted to ask the members of this forum of there opinion and experiences of similar situations....

I am open to comments from both people that agree with me and disagree with me alike.... I have no problem with that.

What is achieved out of writing one random comment in the middle of what is quiet obviously a debate between the people of this forum telling 'me to fkuc off home''???

Its just plain stupid and illogical.

If you don't have something proper to add to the conversation, don't add anything at all thanks, so don't just come on here an make such harsh comments with no reasoning and no input the conversation.

That is the action of a coward, and I can guarantee you both people on here that both agree and disagree with my opinions will all conclusively agree that your actions are just immature and affronted.

i started this thread to voice an opinion and an experience I had. I also wanted to ask the members of this forum of there opinion and experiences of similar situations....

I am open to comments from both people that agree with me and disagree with me alike.... I have no problem with that.

What is achieved out of writing one random comment in the middle of what is quiet obviously a debate between the people of this forum telling 'me to fkuc off home''???

Its just plain stupid and illogical.

If you don't have something proper to add to the conversation, don't add anything at all thanks, so don't just come on here an make such harsh comments with no reasoning and no input the conversation.

That is the action of a coward.

What is the debate? You came on here to rant about your experience of an over-stretched under funded health care system. Everybody knows how much pressure these hospitals are under. Do you expect someone to come on and contradict you and get the debate rolling?

Corvus Maximus has explained in detail what is wrong with your post.

You went to A&E, of course it's going to smelly and be dirty, by it's very nature.
    If you have an issue lodge a complaint with the relevant authorities, coming on here with your exagerrated stories won't change anything.

dirty hospitals? tell people to fcuk off home

highly constructive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I was never in the Matter as a patient, but I did have to make deliveries to the lower entrance back during 'the boom'.. and from what the OP describes, it is no different now to what it was then.. hygiene looked appalling. There were several large waste containers on coasters in the lower car park I made me retch when I walked past. The paint was coming off the walls, and staff stood at emergency entrances smoking.

One of the other places we had to deliver to was the new veterinary building at UCD. I know it ran into tens of millions to build this (the former site of UCD veterinary clinic in Ballsbridge was sold for €171 million for 2 acres), when compared to the Matter, it was luxury. Spotlessly clean, brand new equipment, very spacious, large brightly lit corridors with pleasant looking staff. It is worth it just to take a run out to UCD and have a look to compare, not just to the Matter, but any regional hospital in the country.

* I understand that UCD veterinary clinic is private

What is the debate? You came on here to rant about your experience of an over-stretched under funded health care system. Everybody knows how much pressure these hospitals are under. Do you expect someone to come on and contradict you and get the debate rolling?

You went to A&E, of course it's going to smelly and be dirty, by it's very nature.
    If you have an issue lodge a complaint with the relevant authorities, coming on here with your exagerrated stories won't change anything.

It most certainly not an exaggerated story and whether or not corvus maxamius decided to be picky and dissect my post and say that x doesn't go with Y when administering saline IV ect... does not change the overall lack of hygiene in the hospital and my experience.

Also what is the problem with coming on a forum and sharing an experience i had?? Is that not what forums are for?? If people did not do things like this....forums would not exist no?? And it wasn't just to rant as I wanted to ask about the situation in other dublin based hospitals as well as the mater?? Is was written at the end of my original post.

Any why couldn't you contribute a constructive point like this in the first place instead of making your first comment of the conversation to tell me 'to fkuc off home'' Am I not entitled as a tax paying citizen to use hospitals in other counties when I am away from home??

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

What did you actually expect to happen in this thread?

You say you want debate, but when you get it people become 'picky'. In fairness, if you don't like any Dublin hospitals and you have a local service you feel more comfortable with it seems ridiculous not to use it.

If you think the staff aren't acutely, painfully aware of the shortcomings of frontline health services at this time you are severely misguided.

You also have no idea how busy to resus room or majors area was while you were waiting. If you were waiting ten hours, perhaps a visit to an out-of-hours GP would have been a better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

How in Gods name is it acceptable for any part of the hospital to be unhygienic? Your response of "go home now" is just typical of some people who will settle for this type of health care system until they need to use it. So by all means sit in your urine stenched waiting room.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    How in Gods name is it acceptable for any part of the hospital to be unhygienic? Your response of "go home now" is just typical of some people who will settle for this type of health care system until they need to use it. So by all means sit in your urine stenched waiting room.

A&E is mainly for

1) Accidents
    2) Emergencies

By its very nature there will be alot of ****, piss, puke, blood as a consequence of accidents, car crashes, drunks etc.
    These things don't just evaporate, they need to be cleaned, that can sometimes take a few minutes longer than desired due to understaffing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Quite naive aren't you? You should see some of the waiting rooms in New York or London. The Emergency Room is the frontline interface and the most common point of access for the public into the hospital environment. Unfortunately, patients do come in reeking of piss, covered in vomit or blood. High on drugs or píssed drunk and they often try to punch, kick, bite or indeed headbutt nurses or doctors trying to treat them. Indeed, this is not unique to Dublin or Ireland. So If you are looking for the Hilton, I'm afraid you won't find it in an ER. Frontline staff are usually too busy having to do 3-4 jobs at once. The smell of píss is the least of their worries. So get a grip and cop yourself on.

Not possible I'm afraid because before one even reaches a position of JHO, you will first have to obtain a degree in medicine. Thus you will be well out of your teen years before even reaching clinical practice.

I will admit, I've had many a battle with predominantly foreign colleagues regarding hand washing techniques, disposing of gloves and not using tourniquets between patients ect.

Needle caps? After cannulation, there are no needles required in establishing IV access, nor in starting IV Fluids. Starting an IV giving set with a bag of Normal Saline ect, does not involve nor require needles I can assure you. But I do appreciate you are a layperson, hence your obvious confusion.

Yes, I did guess that the doctor was probably way too busy to even notice it. And no it wouldn't be a doctor's job to clean up blood. Undoubtedly though, the cleaning staff are probably equally over stretched and short staffed.

Quite remarkable to have such quick access to minor surgery, especially since you went via the ER department. Any day case list I have ever dealt with, usually involves a 3-4 week wait and that's only for private patients, never mind public patients. So it would appear that you are very, very unique.

Whether you are in The Mater, The Royal Marsden or The Mayo Clinic, hospitals are and shall remain the dirtiest and most contaminated environment you will ever find yourself in. Most people of course don't realise this simple fact. So OP, rather that bítch and moan about it here. Why didn't you march over to the Admin offices and voice your displeasure to them. Because you will find a lot of clipboard carrying, non-essential over paid bollocks going around in their power suits. While Frontline doctors and nurses remain dangerously understaffed and over worked.

I left the ER environment because and I wasn't prepared to put up with the abuse or violence that is frequently directed at staff. I have seen medical and nursing colleagues getting teeth knocked out and back at work the next day to cover shifts. Yet my Garda mate, was out for 4 months because he hurt his shoulder arresting a 13 year old. I usually avoid these type of threads, but when you read some of the clueless bullshít posted, sometimes you just can't let it go.

:cool: Mater Private by any chance

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

The Mater is a complete ****hole, i work around the corner from it and unfortunatly i had to attend for stiches in a hand wound one day, i signed in, the waiting room was full and yes it did smell of piss, i did'nt mind waiting as there were people there before me who i'm sure were waiting for a few hours, anyway i had a towel wrapped around my hand and proceed to play Angry Birds on my phone to wait my time.
    All of a sudden all hell breaks loose, six wardens from the Joy bring in two headcases covered in blood, shouting and screaming and spitting at everyone, now these 'citizens' are brought straight into the triage area and seen immediately.
    The ranting and raving continued for a while,you could hear doors being kicked trolleys being flung around all the while threats of 'get that f***ing doctor away from me or i'll kill him' were heard throughout the waiting area.
    If i did'nt see and hear it i would'nt have believed it. After a half hour or so the two gents were escorted back out still ranting and raving, the six wardens still just about restraining them, they were bandaged up and brought back to the Joy.
    Anyway i got to see the nurse after a few hours, got talking to her as you do and mentioned the incident that took place earlier, 'oh that's nothing, you should see it hear at the weekends, total carnage in here' she said it like shes used to it and did'nt really seem disturbed, so she stitched up the hand and sent me on my way.

So what i'm trying to say is, before we start slagging off the Mater or for that case any other public hospital just spare a thought for the doctors, nurses and other staff who have to work there for long hours and basic pay and subjected to that carry on.
    They can only use the facilities handed to them, scream and aim the comments at the government, they are the ones to blame.

zack01 wrote: »
    The Mater is a complete ****hole, i work around the corner from it and unfortunatly i had to attend for stiches in a hand wound one day, i signed in, the waiting room was full and yes it did smell of piss, i did'nt mind waiting as there were people there before me who i'm sure were waiting for a few hours, anyway i had a towel wrapped around my hand and proceed to play Angry Birds on my phone to wait my time.
    All of a sudden all hell breaks loose, six wardens from the Joy bring in two headcases covered in blood, shouting and screaming and spitting at everyone, now these 'citizens' are brought straight into the triage area and seen immediately.
    The ranting and raving continued for a while,you could hear doors being kicked trolleys being flung around all the while threats of 'get that f***ing doctor away from me or i'll kill him' were heard throughout the waiting area.
    If i did'nt see and hear it i would'nt have believed it. After a half hour or so the two gents were escorted back out still ranting and raving, the six wardens still just about restraining them, they were bandaged up and brought back to the Joy.
    Anyway i got to see the nurse after a few hours, got talking to her as you do and mentioned the incident that took place earlier, 'oh that's nothing, you should see it hear at the weekends, total carnage in here' she said it like shes used to it and did'nt really seem disturbed, so she stitched up the hand and sent me on my way.

So what i'm trying to say is, before we start slagging off the Mater or for that case any other public hospital just spare a thought for the doctors, nurses and other staff who have to work there for long hours and basic pay and subjected to that carry on.
    They can only use the facilities handed to them, scream and aim the comments at the government, they are the ones to blame.

But how come they were seen to straight away and Law abiding decent citizens have to wait .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Hootanany wrote: »
    But how come they were seen to straight away and Law abiding decent citizens have to wait .

Apparently that's the way it happens at the Mater, the lags from the Joy get seen straight away.

Apparently that's the way it happens at the Mater, the lags from the Joy get seen straight away.

But that is so wrong and they don't pay also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Hootanany wrote: »

If I was in the A & E id prefer those two to be seen straight away and to be out of my sight instead of having them sit down for hours causing havoc.

IrishKev wrote: »
    If I was in the A & E id prefer those two to be seen straight away and to be out of my sight instead of having them sit down for hours causing havoc.

Why is their not a Doctor in the Joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

I can understand the prisoners being seen first. It reduces the risk of escape, the length of time they have to be restrained and imagine if they have to wait in the waiting room with patients who aren't prisoners: whilst kicking up a fuss like that, making threats and causing harm. Even the quiet prisoners pose a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,888 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

A&E departments can be clogged up with drug abusers, drunks and people who don't really need to be there. I reckon the staff must have a pain in their arses with time wasters.

It see your emergency can wait a few weeks till you get back to your own country Subscriber. Would there be a chance that your issue wasn't an emergency at all and the doctors, nurses, admin people felt their time would be better spent with real emergencies instead of druggies, drunks and the likes of you?

Could you not have gone to your doctors or pharmacist or is this one of your typical "Ireland is so crap compared to where I come from" rants that you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Really??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Once finally in the treatment area, I was seen by one of the junior (teenage) doctors who proceeded to examine me without either washing his hands or putting on a pair of sterile gloves. I also noticed a few needle caps (non sharp) just discarded on treatment trolley's after doctors had finished hanging drips for patients. On another clinical table, a doctor had finished treating a patient and there was a relatively small patch of blood left on the bed clothes.. Did he clean it up before the next patient?? You guessed it....

For the love of Jesus like, if you work in a hospital like, infection control is medicine 101 here folks....

At the end of my visit I was offered an overnight stay for a minor surgery tomorrow morning but considering it wasn't immediately life threatening I declined having decided to have it done when I go back to my home county in a few weeks and proceeded to leg it out the door, god forbid would I pick up some weird and wonderful disease.....

I'm seriously considering writing a letter to HIQUA after my experiences there today...

Venture to the mater if you must but you would not want to be sick going in there or your prob better off staying at home....

Thats quite insulting. Are you suggesting age equals competence? Junior doctors have to start somewhere and have had many years of training to get to that stage.

Where are you from? Also what do you do? because if you're from any country with a large city with a hospital that serves a prison, an inner city deprived area and revellers from the city centre bars/clubs you'll find that the conditions and smells will be the exact same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I was in Vincents Hospital yesterday evening for an Xray to my hand after I got knocked off my bicycle. I was in and out in 50 minutes, with results from an Xray.

Place was spotless and the staff were efficient and friendly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement