Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engraved kitchen switches

Options
  • 30-03-2012 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

I recall that there was a new regulation that came into effect in 2009 that related to new requirements that meant that any switches for cookers etc in the kitchen had to be above counter and engraved or marked with cooker/dishwasher etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction where I could find more info?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

I found the reference online -“ET 101:2008 – the National Rules for Electrical Installations” specifically (554.3.5) but I don't want to shell out €100 for the whole book.

Basically 2 electricians looked at me like I was crazy when I said I was sure there was a regulation about marked isolator switches earlier on site today. I need to get back to them with the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

you are correct
    all,non accessible sockets much have a labeled isolator above the counter
    this includes washing machine,dishwasher,integrated micro-wave and the cooker extractor fan

socket outlets that are not readily accessible must be provided with a clearly labelled double pole switch,rated 20amp,in an accessible position e.g. on the wall above the work top
    (554.3.5)

meercat wrote: »
    you are correct
    all,non accessible sockets much have a labeled isolator above the counter
    this includes washing machine,dishwasher,integrated micro-wave and the cooker extractor fan
    Thanks meercat, I will advise. But now I'm worried what else they are missing that is outside my scope of expertise. Especially as they laughed me out of it.

janmc wrote: »
    Thanks meercat, I will advise. But now I'm worried what else they are missing that is outside my scope of expertise. Especially as they laughed me out of it.

reci,do a course on changes to the 3rd edition
    if your company is a member then perhaps they will send you on one
    if not,ask your company to send you and pay yourself
    http://reci.ie/ContractorServices/RECITrainingCourses/tabid/70/Default.aspx
    well worth the investment
    also the book of regs is a must for electricians
    you dont have to know everything in it,just how to access the information

• Advertisement

I'm an architect so it's outside my area really. It'd be handy to know more but realistically have a ton of things I need to do first. Maybe I should order a copy of the book anyway as a reference on small jobs where there isn't a M&E engineer (ie all of them at the moment)

I'm an architect so it's outside my area really. It'd be handy to know more but realistically have a ton of things I need to do first. Maybe I should order a copy of the book anyway as a reference on small jobs where there isn't a M&E engineer (ie all of them at the moment)

ooops
    this thread discusses some new requirements but your sparks should know these
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056389650

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Ecssa do a small booklet which is basicly a cut down version of the regs and only has the most commonly needed to know regs.
    It is very handy as a reverence even has colour pictures:D
    It would have most of the stuff you need to know and only costs around €10(I think) save you spending the €100 if you are not an Electrician..

paddymick wrote: »
    Ecssa do a small booklet which is basicly a cut down version of the regs and only has the most commonly needed to know regs.
    It is very handy as a reverence even has colour pictures:D
    It would have most of the stuff you need to know and only costs around €10(I think) save you spending the €100 if you are not an Electrician..

have to get one of them myself so:D

paddymick - where would I get that? Can't see it on their website.

(coloured-y pictures sound good ;) )

Edit: Found it. €20

• Advertisement

Definitely worth the money the ETCI book can be very confusing when even looking up the simplest of things sending you from one page to another and then on to another.
    The booklet just puts it into simple worded Englishsmile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

dunno how they wouldn't know by now

maybe these company electricians don't swot up on the rules like the self-employed guys do

http://www.voltimum.ie/news/8786/infopro.tradeassoc.brand/top-10-breaches-of-the-et101-national-rules-for-electrical-installations.html

M cebee wrote: »
    dunno how they wouldn't know by now

maybe these company electricians don't swot up on the rules like the self-employed guys do

http://www.voltimum.ie/news/8786/infopro.tradeassoc.brand/top-10-breaches-of-the-et101-national-rules-for-electrical-installations.html
    I'm sure they know too but were caught out by the architect and wouldn't admit to it

meercat wrote: »
    I'm sure they know too but were caught out by the architect and wouldn't admit to it
    Afraid not, I'd actually prefer if that was the case. We're not even at first fix yet, just a walk around the site.

A question for you all, there seems to be 3 bodies of electricians, ECCSA, RECI & AECI - should an electrician be a member of either RECI or AECI to be qualified?

A question for you all, there seems to be 3 bodies of electricians, ECCSA, RECI & AECI - should an electrician be a member of either RECI or AECI to be qualified?

There are only two regulatory bodys ECSSA and RECI.
    AECI is more like an employers union I think,
    The answer to your question is no you dont need to be a member in order to be qualified but you do need to be a member of one of them in order to be a Registered contractor.
    Which means as a registered contractor you must have proof of insurance and are subject to site inspections,and only registered contractors can sign off completion certs.

http://www.safeelectric.ie/

should be reci or ecssa registered to certify the installation
    they come under the safe electric umbrella

Advertisement