Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming Rig Idea

Options
  • 30-03-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Starting Ideas!-

Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 Intel CPU Cooler
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance - 16 GB 1600 MHz PC3-12800
    SSD: Corsair Force 3 120GB 2.5" SATA-600
    HDD: Seagate 2TB SATA-600 7200rpm 64MB
    PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Series - 1000 Watt
    Media: LG BH10LS38 Super Multi - Blu-ray burner
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express (2)
    Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper

Any input appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Head over to the PC building and upgrading forum and we'll sort you out, although I will say one thing about the cpu: OVERKILL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Right if you fill this out we should get a good idea of your budget and use, so you can get a better system tailored to your needs.
    I sound like a tool :D

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭friedcircuits

1. What is your budget? B]€1500 - €2000[/B

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming mostly but usual day to day stuff also)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? B]No - Have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit[/B

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? B]No probably sell it[/B

5. Do you need a monitor? B]Yes - Thinking of a 1 over 3 stand, 3 gaming screens and 1 accessory screen (as Nvidia calls it!)[/B

5a. If yes, what size do you need. B]24' X 4[/B

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? []

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? B]Gaming Mouse and Keyboard, Possibly Card Reader[/B

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? B]Yes, Not straight off though[/B

8. How can you pay? B]Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser[/B

9. When are you purchasing? B]Couple of months - (I know its a long time in technology land but look at spec below - futureish proof?[/B

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? B]No need[/B

Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 Intel CPU Cooler (Also W/C Options??)
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance - 16 GB 1600 MHz PC3-12800
    SSD: Corsair Force 3 120GB 2.5" SATA-600
    HDD: Seagate 2TB SATA-600 7200rpm 64MB
    PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Series - 1000 Watt
    Media: LG BH10LS38 Super Multi - Blu-ray burner
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express (2)

Thanks

This going to be fun :D

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€32.50
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€17.83
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€187.99
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.75
    2 x Gainward GeForce GTX 680, 2GB GDDR5|€1002.46
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Black Pearl|€91.59
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€113.21
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€141.74
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€105.55
    XFX PRO750W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply|€82.39
    Shipping|FREE
    Total|€1809.01

What I've changed from your build:
    • Changed to 2500k, much much cheaper and offers similar performance (even more when overclocked)
    • Dropped down to 8gb of generic RAM, 16gb is pointless for a gaming/general build.
    • Changed CPU cooler to one thats recommended here for its great performance.
    • Changed motherboard, its great for crossfire, its gen3 and most of all, its just slightly over €100.
    • Do you really need a BluRay drive? You can add one in if you want but they're fairly pointless.
    • Put in a better SSD also.
    That leaves a good bit of money to get your peripherals.

By the way, do you already own those monitors? It wouldn't be very easy to squeeze 4 24" monitors into the budget but I can make another one if you want.

• Advertisement

I have one asus 24' already- 4 together are kinda ex-budget for main system. Will wait another few weeks to get them looking at this stand - http://www.ergotechgroup.com/products/custom-37/1-over-3-hd-lcd-desk-stand-65/#

Also I was kinda set on the mobo and cpu!!?

Look, here's a comparison between them: Scroll down to the gaming part at the bottom.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=552
    Bear in mind the 2500k and mobo is a fraction of the cost of the 3930k

Noted. But how future proof is that mobo and cpu? I want to probably keep high end mobo/cpu but possibly upgrade 680's when possible i.e. when there's a higer spec card available.Also want to try O/C and the Rampage extreme has some O/Cing specs etc, will also probably W/C CPU, GPU and possibly RAMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

will also probably W/C CPU, GPU and possibly RAMs.

There is no point in adding ram to your loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

2500k is even more future proof then anything else. It's 1155 socket which so you will be a le to use same mobo for ivy bridge CPUs.

Trust me, 2500k is best CPU you can get for gaming, anything else is just useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Noted. But how future proof is that mobo and cpu?

Very future proof, especially if your going to be using it for gaming!
    The 2500K is a monster CPU and the fact it can easily overclock to 4.5GHz on a decent cooler means in 3 years if it begins to have issues, just OC it and it will be like new :) Also underwater you could probably push 4.8GHz.

2500k is even more future proof then anything else. It's 1155 socket which so you will be a le to use same mobo for ivy bridge CPUs.

Trust me, 2500k is best CPU you can get for gaming, anything else is just useless.

+1, it really is a beast. With that overclocked on the cooler you'll be reaching somewhere around 4.4-4.7 ghz easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Eboggles wrote: »
    +1, it really is a beast. With that overclocked on the cooler you'll be reaching somewhere around 4.4-4.7 ghz easily.

I genueny think that they did a **** up with 2500k as they gave such an amazing CPU before its time, it's going to be really damn hard to top that.. Anyone with 2500k can forget about upgrading for a good while.

Ok thanks for the advice seems like 2500k has some fans! But why that one moreover- i7-2700K 3.5GHz or i7-2600K 3.40GHz still quite affordable? Also @frozenfrozen- no point W/C RAM? Any particular reason or just no benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ok thanks for the advice seems like 2500k has some fans! But why that one moreover- i7-2700K 3.5GHz or i7-2600K 3.40GHz still quite affordable? Also @frozenfrozen- no point W/C RAM? Any particular reason or just no benefit?
    For gaming 2500k beats both the 2600k and 2700k, for a lower price. The 2500k generally runs cooler also.

And ram just really doesn't get hot, it will add clutter to your case, cost more to watercool and you will have less pressure since your loop will be taking another turn up to ram and back to your res.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

The i7's only benefit over the i5 is Hyper-Threading. Which means for each core there is 2 threads.
    Basically it turns 4 cores into 8 cores. Which is great for programs that need and use lot's of cores like video rendering but for games they still don't make much use multithreaded programming so it makes no difference.

Ok all taken in! Is ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX mobo still the best then for the 2500k for O/C and gaming then?

Ok all taken in! Is ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX mobo still the best then for the 2500k for O/C and gaming then?
    Yes.

Just looking at dabs.ie they have- ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 S1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX and ASRock Z68 EXTREME7 S1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX are these the same as ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX

After looking at suggestions and changes of my own hace come up with this-

Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 S1155 ATX
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Boxed
    CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Macho
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 Kit
    SSD: Crucial m4 SSD 128GB MLC
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 2TB
    PSU: XFX Core Edition Pro 850 Watt
    Burner/Reader: LG BH10LS38 Black
    GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX680 (2)

Final thoughts?

• Advertisement

After looking at suggestions and changes of my own hace come up with this-

Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 S1155 ATX
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Boxed
    CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Macho
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 Kit
    SSD: Crucial m4 SSD 128GB MLC
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 2TB
    PSU: XFX Core Edition Pro 850 Watt
    Burner/Reader: LG BH10LS38 Black
    GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX680 (2)

Final thoughts?
    They'll work together, but if you do decide to choose that build you're spending more money to get the same level of efficiency that was offered to you in the build I posted. All the parts I chose have been tested by boards users who agree they are the best parts you can get.

Tl;DR
    Mines better :p

Advertisement