Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How not to run a marketing campaign on Facebook....

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Reminds me of this case a few years ago :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Someone should go down there, take this for a test drive, agree to buy it after negotiating lots of extras, wait till they have the forms out then go:

LOL April Fool

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

Trololololo

anyhoo, it is one way to get your company out there, sure half of those people wouldn't even buy a merc to begin within..so i don't understand why they're getting so upset! the person still wins a merc...it's just a toy ;) - I am interested to see how it plays out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Best post so far:

Eoin - invest in a mountain bike ya fat ****e
    Emma - guaranteed to have a massive waist. Probably crying into your 3rd curry of the night
    Lisa - that's some forehead you have. Clingon ****

:pac::pac::pac:

Competitions really bring out the best in people!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Anyone have the original pic saved anywhere? I saw someone like it on Facebook last night and didn't think the car looked right but didn't pass any remarks. Would like to have another look now that I know it was a toy car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

grenache wrote: »
    FYP ;)
    What does fyp mean?:o
    Arciphel wrote: »
    Best post so far:

Eoin - invest in a mountain bike ya fat ****e
    Emma - guaranteed to have a massive waist. Probably crying into your 3rd curry of the night
    Lisa - that's some forehead you have. Clingon ****

:pac::pac::pac:

Competitions really bring out the best in people!!!
    I thought he was crap at dishing out insults..... crying into 3rd curry, ah ffs.
    the kids next door would do better:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I know a lad who won a gopro camera from a facebook 'share this picture' thing and I've won some stuff off a youtube video that just said "comment why you think you should win"

Thought all of the facebook ones were a scam. I'm sure 90% of them are. After people get tricked they're hardly going to unlike the page.

People are unliking...and fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I cant see how people thought it was real in the first place, i saw that a mate had liked the picture on facebook and as soon as i looked at it i knew it was a toy. The giant pebble dashing and tarmac was a dead giveaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I used to work with Mercedes in the UK & they would of hit the roof if we had pulled such a stunt. Yes people are gullible but it doesn't reflect well on the dealer.

By the way BMW ran some epic April fool adverts & people would phone us to enquire - for example the car that cleaned itself in the rain. People were invited to contact Mr Uva Beenhad & loads phoned BMW asking for him by name :D

This was the copy from last year's advert:

'MARQUE THE OCCASION.

To celebrate the forthcoming wedding of HRH Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton, a very special Royal Edition of the BMW M3 Coupe will be available at BMW dealerships throughout the country from today, and for this month only. The majestic Royal edition is available in three colours - Regal Red, Bridal White and Imperial Blue. It is resplendently upholstered in Windsor White Dakota leather and adorned with our commemorative 'Will' emblem.

For more information, call 0800 777 120 or contact pauline.yourlegg@bmw.co.uk

The ads always feature superb artwork & every year people await the latest one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,307 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone have the original pic saved anywhere? I saw someone like it on Facebook last night and didn't think the car looked right but didn't pass any remarks. Would like to have another look now that I know it was a toy car!

545000_378057385561324_100000711986221_1204942_2058370193_n.jpg

My insert image icon is gone from the "post reply" box, anybody have any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

The sort of people who buy Mercs aren't going to be the same sort of people who get angered at this sort of thing and claim they're never going to buy from that dealer, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Great advertisement for the company, will be on all the radio talk shows come monday morning.

It worked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

kceire wrote: »
    545000_378057385561324_100000711986221_1204942_2058370193_n.jpg

My insert image icon is gone from the "post reply" box, anybody have any ideas?

Thanks a mill!!

I don't think you can embed images on AH, so that's probably why there's no image icon.

Great advertisement for the company, will be on all the radio talk shows come monday morning.

It worked!

I wouldn't be so sure. It used to be said that there is no such thing as bad publicity but this is no longer the case. There is every possibility that some of the "entrants" were potential Mercedes customers.

Had the joke been on April the 1st then it might of been justified. The BMW examples are always funny & harmless whereas this stunt has a different feel.

The best answer is, as suggested before, for people to pose as customers & then pull out of the deal at the last minute.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The picture is quite funny really :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Bastards, I passed on that link. Absolute bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

where's my elephant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I would imagine that a lot of ones thinking they might win a jeep probably couldn't afford to buy one normally, so they'll be no loss as customers.:p

I think it's hilarious.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't know about the rest of ye but I laughed my arse off. Did anybody find it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

They should not have done that they got peoples details like phone numbers emails and address and likes through deceit and those that entered will probably get their inbox spammed now from them
    They promised the prize was a car and misled people Its understandable people are angry it was a sh1tty thing to do and it wasn't even april fools day
    I'm not to sure but there are laws people have to abide by when posting competitions I hope they get fined for this

You could get them to value your part exchange & then hand over a model instead :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Still looking for my arse lads. Any help appreciated.

BluesBerry wrote: »
    They should not have done that they got peoples details like phone numbers emails and address and likes through deceit and those that entered will probably get their inbox spammed now from them
    They promised the prize was a car and misled people Its understandable people are angry it was a sh1tty thing to do and it wasn't even april fools day
    I'm not to sure but there are laws people have to abide by when posting competitions I hope they get fined for this

How did they get phone numbers? When to enter all you had to do was like their page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

booboo88 wrote: »
    How did they get phone numbers? When to enter all you had to do was like their page.

Lotta people have that info on their profiles for the world to see!

And FYP means fixed your post.

jay-me wrote: »
    Lotta people have that info on their profiles for the world to see!

And FYP means fixed your post.

Well thats their own stupidity, nothing to do with denis mahony group.

ahhh... I always wondered:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

I can't believe people would be so thick as to think that by liking something on the Internet that they are entitled to a free car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Genius! Great piece of marketing and its funny, people should lighten up at the end of the day no harm was done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I think it's very clever! great way to get people talking! There will always be a few complainers who will give out, but I do think it's a genius idea to stand out!

yes, but talk is all that people will do. People dont have the money anymore, period. Businesses are living in hope. (Unless you were one of the lucky few that were employed by the Mahon tribunal and have the change for one of these in your back pocket)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Maybe the knob in the photo with his thumb up is a giant?

The proper April fools gags here make the dealers effort pale in the shade:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/45109/april-fools-day-2012-highlights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

It worked!

It worked at pissing off a lot of people alright, but that's it. Unless you have a company like Ryanair, where you only have 1-2 operators all publicity is not good publicity.
    calfmuscle wrote: »
    Genius! Great piece of marketing and its funny, people should lighten up at the end of the day no harm was done.

It pissed off customers, some of whom cancelled their servicing with the garage. One guy in particular cancelled it via his post on facebook stating that he didn't want to deal with a company that thinks nothing of misleading people.

It's a complete mess up by Denis Mahony, no doubt they will lose some business over it and will get trolled by pretend buyers in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

If was obvious it was a toy car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You can bet that 99.99% of the people posting sh*te on that photo are under 20 and are in no position to even pay the insurance on a merc let alone afford one.

People who buy mercs are elderly ballers who have far better things to do with their time and money than even have a facebook account let alone like stupid facebook pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Arciphel wrote: »
    http://imgur.com/XILdm

Denis Mahony Motors off the M50 had a competition on facebook today, like a picture of a Mercedes 4x4 and you could win it. However it's all gone pear shaped. The angry mob have gathered on Facebook and are setting fire to their torches as we speak :pac::pac::pac::pac:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=199265473516996&set=a.169748589802018.32777.141993002577577&type=1&theater

Can somebody tell me whether it's materiallly different to this case http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-40153/8-000-Clio-winner-handed-toy.html where the 'winner' got compensation?

And really, does this fit with Mercedes' brand values? Really, I don't think so. Nul points from Reesy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Show Time wrote: »
    I can't believe people would be so thick as to think that by liking something on the Internet that they are entitled to a free car.

You realise you are talking about the same fcukin retards who think by clicking "like" and "share" that some sick children will get life saving operations etc?

Not a shock at all when you think about it!

GAAman wrote: »
    You realise you are talking about the same fcukin retards who think by clicking "like" and "share" that some sick children will get life saving operations etc?

Not a shock at all when you think about it!

Its scary how many of those pics are going around, one pic was of a kid in a coffin:eek:

and of course they keep sharing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The 'competition' was done on Apr 1st. Obviously a joke. I thought it was funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

No, the 'Winner' was announced on the 1st April, the competition was started 28th of March if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

The 'competition' was done on Apr 1st. Obviously a joke. I thought it was funny.

No, it wasn't.

Advertisement