Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crazy Ants

• 30-03-2012 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

There i was last night a bit peckish and decided to put on a mini frozen pizza and as i was ripping the rapper off it a small bit of ham popped off and landed somewhere but i couldn't see where it was so i cooked the pizza anyway and when cooked i turned out the light in the kitchen and plodded back into my room. after 4 minutes i decided to get a glass of water and turned the kitchen light on and to my disbelief i could see where the small bit of ham was on the ground beside the washing machine and about 70 ants crawling all over it and there was a few ants scouting around as if they were looking out for something or probably guarding the piece of meat.

Anyway I have an ant problem. anyone know the best way of getting rid of them before they infest my house ?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Put a piece of ham outside.

Shout at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Blast them with piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Invite them to a nice steak dinner and calmly ask them if they could find somewhere else to live. Be careful though because ants know the law well and may try to claim squatters rights/ claim you were violent towards them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I have a few crazy ants too, and uncles. Only about 4 though, 70 seems a lot. Christmas shopping must be manic in your house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

there is a gel you can get that they eat and it kills them.
    but if this is really a family problem you should try.counselling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Boil the kettle and scald the bastards!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

AnamGlas wrote: »
    Put a piece of ham outside.

LOL yeah and then i'd have an ant party with them coming from all over the place. theres always one ant hanging around the washing machine looking out till i drop something else so i'd say they will be out in force if i drop anything else. will have to get behind that washing machine and see where they are getting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

My Aunty just likes to get drunk and shout at cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 tebowfan

Surprising really, didn't think ants were as much a problem in Ireland, expected you to say you were living in Australia or something.

Sacramento wrote: »
    Shout at them.

tried that but they are just oblivious to my shouting and do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Get an giant anteater as a pet, it will sort your ant problem.

Alternatively you could hire an Ant contract killer, see more here
    http://www.ehow.com/info_8261875_eats-ants.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

zenno wrote: »
    There i was last night a bit peckish and decided to put on a mini frozen pizza and as i was ripping the rapper off it a small bit of ham popped off and landed somewhere but i couldn't see where it was so i cooked the pizza anyway and when cooked i turned out the light in the kitchen and plodded back into my room. after 4 minutes i decided to get a glass of water and turned the kitchen light on and to my disbelief i could see where the small bit of ham was on the ground beside the washing machine and about 70 ants crawling all over it and there was a few ants scouting around as if they were looking out for something or probably guarding the piece of meat.

Anyway I have an ant problem. anyone know the best way of getting rid of them before they infest my house ?.

clean your filthy gaff up and put rubbish OUTSIDE might be a starter, ants follow food... they then tell their ant friends to come on lads... we got a hit.

then bingo... millions of ants arrive

kleefarr wrote: »

very good, will try that stuff tomorrow. i don't fancy killing them as i don't usually mind ants but if they start to infest the place i have no choice.

seen a few black ants as well which i thought strange as i thought they are only from warmer climates, but seeing black and red ants is strange i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

pick them up and put them in a taxi..send them to st brendans psychiatric hospital...thats what my dad did with all my aunts apparently::eek:

clean your filthy gaff up and put rubbish OUTSIDE might be a starter, ants follow food... they then tell their ant friends to come on lads... we got a hit.

then bingo... millions of ants arrive

My house is very clean so it's not that and i never leave rubbish in the house, why would anyone as the smell would be bad as hell. well it's clean enough but that bit of ham must be premium ham/the best because they just popped out of nowhere and gorged all over it. will deal with them tomorrow and evict them for good. hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Stop playing this

and they'll party somewhere else.

I might do a test later with another bit of ham just to get an idea of how many of them there are while the washing machine is pulled out and then see where they go after that. at least i will know where they are getting in from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

zenno wrote: »
    at least i will know where they are getting in from.

Fix a mini camera onto one of their heads then watch where they go on your laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Douse your kitchen in petrol.
    (Worked for the infestation in my garden)

Boiling water doesnt work,you have to kill the queen.

Get that bitch and the colony looses the will to live.

Douse your kitchen in petrol.
    (Worked for the infestation in my garden)

Boiling water doesnt work,you have to kill the queen.

Get that bitch and the colony looses the will to live.

That's a deadly idea but petrol prices are so high at the moment i can't afford to buy some. plus the benefits of doing this blazing work will be i will heat the house nice and warm so we will all be damn warm and comfortable, why didn't i think of this. :D

EDIT: just found where they are coming from, there's a half inch gap where the washing machine pipe goes into the wall and they are all coming and going through that so will seal this gap as there is no other way i can see them getting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Nippon oil, is supposed to be good. The workers bring it back to the nest and it kills them all. Whooo, ha, ha, ha, ha, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Crazy Ants

Get your crazy uncles to deal with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Get ants from a rival colony and watch them fight and kill each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dont kill them, follow them back to their nest an cover it with salt

problem solved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Sacramento wrote: »
    Shout at them.

Show them your 'angry face'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

kleefarr wrote: »

These work pretty well.

Ant sprays work well too. If you can figure out where they are/might be coming from give the area a good squirt and it will pretty much kill them in their tracks.

And obviously just make the extra effort to clean more often so there's no crumbs etc tempting more of them in (they seem to be worse at certain times of year). And don't eat in the bedroom unless you want them to make their way in there too.

I hate killing them too, but there's no other choice really :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Make them watch Tallafornia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

take a dump on your kitchen floor beside the ham.

report back and let us know how it unfolds.

Advertisement