Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone actually enjoy "nationalist" type music?

• 31-03-2012 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

Had to endure almost two hours on a bus journey home tonight with Wolfe Tones and other sh*** was played at full blast. Was so glad I had ear phones and music on my phone but still couldn't block it out.

Does anyone else hate that kinda Irish music and diddly-eye crap too? Am I weird to be Irish and not like this type of tosh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I hear that Keith AFC is a big fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

each to their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'm with you on this one. Although in fairness I was never raised with it or had any involvement in to the meaning of it.

I can understand if you like it because you were there or the lyrics are pertinent to you. But I think it's just a bunch of blind "patriots" or "blinkered nationalism" who think they're entitled to revel in other past achievements they had no hand in.(I'm referencing the more political songs).

They're maudlin songs for maudlin people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

some of it is great, some of it is rubbish, some of it is really contrived.

same as other types of music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Never really got it myself.
    Always seemed like sentimental bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I don't really enjoy rebel music to be honest, I like the more new wave Irish stuff*. It just seems like "we have something to say, so we're going to say it with music as a backing" rather than "we were inspired and decided to make a song". Politics versus art, really.

*yeah that includes Enya and Lord of the Dance, kiss me bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Witchie wrote: »
    Does anyone else hate that kinda Irish music and diddly-eye crap too?

Two different things really. I admire the diddly-eye crap and Im looking forward to having a cracking week at the Fleadh in cavan this summer. The other stuff, I can well do without. It never ceases to amaze me that a Wolf Tones audience would probably stare down a suspected protestant until they left, when thats what Wolf Tone was. But thats another **** storm thread for many other days I think :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Bit of a racket most of it. I don't mind some of the slower or more harmonious versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yep, nothing like a bit of Ireland's call to help me get to sleep at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I hope you stud up at the end of the journey when Amhran Na Bfiann was being played. :p

• Advertisement

Yep, nothing like a bit of Ireland's call to help me get to sleep at night.

Thoughts of the Irish rugby team help you get to sleep at night? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

darlett wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me that a Wolf Tones audience would probably stare down a suspected protestant until they left, when thats what Wolf Tone was. But thats another **** storm thread for many other days I think :P

Nothing like a good old generalisation.

ColeTrain wrote: »

Isn't there though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I hear that Keith AFC is a big fan.
    I got my Sash on whistling the Soldiers song. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Two different things really. I admire the diddly-eye crap and Im looking forward to having a cracking week at the Fleadh in cavan this summer. The other stuff, I can well do without. It never ceases to amaze me that a Wolf Tones audience would probably stare down a suspected protestant until they left, when thats what Wolf Tone was. But thats another **** storm thread for many other days I think :P

I've seen the Wolf Tones live - and I enjoyed it . It's not to everybodys taste, but being a suspected protestent was never an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

chin_grin wrote: »
    Thoughts of the Irish rugby team help you get to sleep at night? :pac:

Yes, I dream hoping that one day we will be glorious nation again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭policarp

Most of them are ballads of historical events.
    The same as songs nowadays about current affairs.
    In years to come who will listen to todays rap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Love it all, singing about our history is for me something to be proud of

21/25

Yes, I dream hoping that one day we will be glorious nation again

I'd put the emphasis on the words 'dream' and 'hope', Ireland lost it's Smiley-Irish-Eyes a long time ago (......before you leap on that....it's my opinion!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I remember a venue near me used to have a big rebel band playing in the 90's. You couldn't go near it. Always ended in violence, people fighting and thinking they are more republican than the next man. Ridiculous spectacle. I hate rebel music from those days on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I hate most of that kind of music but in this song at least they show that Irish independence was built on the work a a century earlier of brave protestant ulstermen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

It never ceases to amaze me that SOME MEMBERS of a Wolf Tones audience would probably stare down a suspected protestant until they left, when thats what Wolf Tone was. But thats another **** storm thread for many other days I think :P
    ColeTrain wrote: »

FMP

I would say a lot of countries in the world have songs about oppression in their repetoire. And I would say most are proud of their of their heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

John Doe1 wrote: »

I hate most of that kind of music but in this song at least they show that Irish independence was built on the work a a century earlier of brave protestant ulstermen.
    Good tune. Even if I disagree with its historical context. :p

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Good tune. Even if I disagree with its historical context. :p
    Keith, you have a team named after you.

http://www.keithfc.co.uk/

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

No, you're the only the one in the whole country who doesn't like diddly-eye music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭geeman

Irish Music = Pure ****e

Irish Music = Pure Dung

Idiots that want revenvge = (Eat Butter and Starve to Death)

British ***** = Matches with mould

the Brits still watch unfortunately.....nothing I can do, you're just all asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I prefer sea shanties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Having grown up in the north and having patriotism shoved down my throat I hope the Wolfe Tones etc suck a fat one.

Theres nothing worst that being in a pub and being told to "sssh" so some gobby bitch can sing a song about how blind one eyed willy lost his land.

• Advertisement

I prefer sea shanties.

See Panties or

Ballads?

geeman wrote: »
    Irish Music = Pure ****e

Irish Music = Pure Dung

Idiots that want revenvge = (Eat Butter and Starve to Death)

British ***** = Matches with mould

the Brits still watch unfortunately.....nothing I can do, you're just all asleep.

Will you try make some sense next time

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

policarp wrote: »
    See Panties or

Ballads?

I think you're probably thinking about the dyslexia thread. Are you thinking what I'm thinking about what you were thinking is correct?

I think you're probably thinking about the dyslexia thread. Are you thinking what I'm thinking about what you were thinking is correct?

Think I was. . .

Sorry. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Not supposed to be enjoyable, supposed to show we're hard, including that we have hard hearing because the stuff certainly aint easy on the ears

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

They're good pub tunes when you're loaded. But I'm not going to download or buy the albums!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

My dad and his friends used to play what you'd call "nationalist" songs. But this was during the 70s and 80s, through the worst of the "Troubles". And the songs they sang were contemporary rebel songs, about people who were still alive, whether they were out fighting the Brits or doing time in H-Block. None of your Brendan Shine or Val Doonican for them.

It's very unlikely that you'll come across an LP by "The Men of No Property", but if you ever do, snap it up. That was the group my dad was with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Thomas828 wrote: »
    My dad and his friends used to play what you'd call "nationalist" songs. But this was during the 70s and 80s, through the worst of the "Troubles". And the songs they sang were contemporary rebel songs, about people who were still alive, whether they were out fighting the Brits or doing time in H-Block. None of your Brendan Shine or Val Doonican for them.

It's very unlikely that you'll come across an LP by "The Men of No Property", but if you ever do, snap it up. That was the group my dad was with.

Why ? Is he short a few quid ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 wasislos

definately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Luke Kelly.
    That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

mattjack wrote: »
    Why ? Is he short a few quid ?

Naw, just a front to avoid paying the Household Charge..............:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

irish traditional music is shít
    every song is the same - random accordion noise :eek: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

Love traditional music. A mate of mine plays the pipes and introduced me to some proper trad, not the ****e they treat Americans to on Paddy's Day.

As for rebel songs, once they don't glamorise the deeds of the IRA or something I don't mind. Something about 1798 or 1916, grand :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Thin Lizzy and the Pogues rocked that **** and garnered a new interest in Irish music for alot of people. Now that that has waned I think Jedward should release their version of Irish rover to lift our spirits and get this economy moving again.
    Go Joe Dolan.Huuuuuraaah.

Advertisement