Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unprovoked assault, playground at the canal Thursday night 2.30

Options
  • 31-03-2012 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, me and a mate took a serious hammering down by the canal behind the roisin, close to the playground i think. Around 2.30 thursday night/friday morning, just after massimo. Just trying to piece things together as I can only remember coming to in hospital, my mate says there were 5-6 of em, may have been hanging around the area for a while. Anyone see anything?? Any info appreciated as I was out cold and havent a clue what happened. Dental bill aint gonna be cheap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

RINO87 wrote: »
    Hey guys, me and a mate took a serious hammering down by the canal behind the roisin, close to the playground i think. Around 2.30 thursday night/friday morning, just after massimo. Just trying to piece things together as I can only remember coming to in hospital, my mate says there were 5-6 of em, may have been hanging around the area for a while. Anyone see anything?? Any info appreciated as I was out cold and havent a clue what happened. Dental bill aint gonna be cheap.

Perhaps you should consult the police to help you with your investigation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

You poor soul thats awful,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry to hear that OP.
    Anyone with info (did you see any scummers around the area or have you heard anything about the attack?) please contact Mill street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭RINO87

was talking to the guards and to say they were unhelpful would be putting it nicely. I'll leave it at that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Are the Gardai refusing to accept a report of what was obviously a serious assault in Galway in case they have to investigate it???

Crowd from Salthill (around the general Dr Mannix Road area) used to be the worst for this sort of scumbaggery back in my day.

Did you or any friend have any hassle , knock a glass, anything....while in the pub.

What time did you go out to Massimos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

was talking to the guards and to say they were unhelpful would be putting it nicely. I'll leave it at that.

OP - If the Guards refuse to help at all, they are not doing their job!
    I'm sorry this happened to you, and it *should* be investigated.
    I know you said you'll leave at at that - but just know, if you were assaulted they *should* do their job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Would not expect anything less from the Guards of the city, there a Joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

inisboffin wrote: »
    OP - If the Guards refuse to help at all, they are not doing their job!
    I'm sorry this happened to you, and it *should* be investigated.
    I know you said you'll leave at at that - but just know, if you were assaulted they *should* do their job.
    OP was obviously drunk, and is probably a young adult. Some people have this attitude that if a young person has been drinking, nothing they say is worth listening to. It's happened to me before trying to talk to bouncers because I've left a jacket inside or something, they just shove you out the door.

It is possible to be drunk and responsible, but you can't really expect a Guard or bouncer to be able to process this in their tiny minds.

OP was obviously drunk, and is probably a young adult. Some people have this attitude that if a young person has been drinking, nothing they say is worth listening to. It's happened to me before trying to talk to bouncers because I've left a jacket inside or something, they just shove you out the door.

It is possible to be drunk and responsible, but you can't really expect a Guard or bouncer to be able to process this in their tiny minds.

There's a big difference between leaving your jacket in a pub while messy and being beaten unconscious. I'm not even sure which point you are making. Just because alcohol was involved in a crime does not not take away the fact that it was a crime. Both parties (assuming, we don't know this) having had 'drink taken' has nothing to do with the fact that someone got hurt.
    If an assault happened and someone was hospitalized, it needs to be investigated, whether the OP was drinking Jagermeister or peppermint tea that night is irrelevant - end of.

Sweet rant and all, but if you read my post again you'll find that it's supporting the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Sorry to hear that OP. Hope you are on the mend. Sickening thing to happen.
    Just a suggestion, if it happened behind the Roisin, there might be security cameras outside. You never know, there could be something picked up on them.
    All the best.

Sweet rant and all, but if you read my post again you'll find that it's supporting the OP.
    Reread and not sure how that post would be construed as supportive? But...Ok, if you say so.

There's a big difference between leaving your jacket in a pub while messy and being beaten unconscious. I'm not even sure which point you are making. Just because alcohol was involved in a crime does not not take away the fact that it was a crime. Both parties (assuming, we don't know this) having had 'drink taken' has nothing to do with the fact that someone got hurt.
    If an assault happened and someone was hospitalized, it needs to be investigated, whether the OP was drinking Jagermeister or peppermint tea that night is irrelevant - end of.

I understand what you are saying here and realise you were trying to help. I wasnt drunk. Had a few pints yes, but far from drunk. Im in my mid twenties too, couldnt have been maistaken for a student.

Anyway, just seeing as I cant remember the incident I was just wondering if anyone saw a group of scum hanging around. My mate remembers more than me, says it was a group of scumbags so we can rule out anything having happened in massimo. I work in the hospitality trade myself so know how not to get into these situatuions in pubs.

This just appears to have been a random act, and is something that is happening all too often in galway recently. I DO NOT wasnt this to turn into a rant about the guards but apparently they just dropped us off at the hospital and never took numbers. I have been on to them since and they appear to be taking things more seriously. Roisin has no cctv out back, but hopefully the guards can pull up some footage from somewherem stop these inbreeds from doing this to someone else. Like i said, my dental bills are gonna be huge and i want these ****ers to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

the guards wont deal with this on the nite and when drink is involved.

They usually wait until the next day to start taking statements.

you can apply for victims of crime compensation to help with your teeth.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/victims_of_crime/victims_and_compensation.html

best of luck

skelliser wrote: »
    the guards wont deal with this on the nite and when drink is involved.

They usually wait until the next day to start taking statements.

you can apply for victims of crime compensation to help with your teeth.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/victims_of_crime/victims_and_compensation.html

best of luck

Thanks for the advice. Just what i need. Like i said I dont want this to turn into a guard bashing thread, i just need help and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

My friend just got jumped in Woodquay by two guys. It's pretty sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I appreciate that you don't want to bash the Guards but it is their job to investigate & apprehend. If you don't pursue this then people will continue to be fobbed off. Go to Mill Street, with your mate & make full written statements. Also put in writing that you were very dissatisfied with the way that the Guards acted on the night. Make it clear that you expect the Guards to investigate & you will make a formal complaint if they do not. Ask to speak to a senior officer & make it clear that you were treated badly.

If the Guards fail to take these incidents seriously & just dismiss it as drunken brawling it only encourages the scumbags & makes our city unsafe. It also gives the scumbags the message that they can carry on as normal.

The taking of drink doesn't excuse violence. By ignoring it the Guards send out a dangerous message. Would they of acted the same if a drunk girl had been sexually assaulted ? They would probably consider this to be more serious but you are also going to suffer serious consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Unlucky OP. The canals are best avoided late at night imo.

Sad fact is, you can be 99.99% sure these scumbags have convictions from as near as two years ago, and maybe for assault too.

How we live in a society where we have to put up with these people is beyond me.

Suspended sentences, concurrent sentences and half off for ''good behaviour''(shouldnt that be a given :rolleyes:)

The system really is a joke, we should do what they do in the likes of Palestine(just watched something on it last night so came to mind first), 35 to a cell..... harsh sentences.

Too much emphasis is put on prisoner welfare which comes at a cost, which means its cheaper to get them in and out in a few months.

One prison for first time offenders as they are, and make the others for repeat offenders at the lowest cost possible, guards on walls with guns and let them fend for themselves(Prison Break Panama style).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Discodog wrote: »
    I appreciate that you don't want to bash the Guards but it is their job to investigate & apprehend. If you don't pursue this then people will continue to be fobbed off. Go to Mill Street, with your mate & make full written statements. Also put in writing that you were very dissatisfied with the way that the Guards acted on the night. Make it clear that you expect the Guards to investigate & you will make a formal complaint if they do not. Ask to speak to a senior officer & make it clear that you were treated badly.

less of the keyboard warrior stuff.

The Guards know how to do there jobs ffs!!

would you take statements from people in distress and under the influence?
    no you wouldnt you would come back the next day or whenever.

They also only have limited resources and its not there fault the judiciary give out lenient sentences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

skelliser wrote: »
    less of the keyboard warrior stuff.

The Guards know how to do there jobs ffs!!

would you take statements from people in distress and under the influence?
    no you wouldnt you would come back the next day or whenever.

They also only have limited resources and its not there fault the judiciary give out lenient sentences.

What kind of warrior are you :rolleyes: ?

The facts are that we had a lot of these threads & one common factor is the failure of the Guards to take complainants seriously. If the Guards had been doing their job properly they would of reassured the OP that they will follow up on his complaint. If they had done this he wouldn't of posted this:

Maybe they should redirect their resources especially as this happened so close to Mill St. Galway is a special City & still (just) has a safe reputation. Personally I would rather see that as a priority rather than road checkpoints.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    My friend just got jumped in Woodquay by two guys. It's pretty sickening.

I have also heard reports of people getting robbed in the same area as my incident took place in earlier on thursday night. Scum must have been in the vicinity for a while.

@discodogg, We intend to follow this up fully. Not being in Galway at the moment is not helping as I had to visit my dentist for some emergency work.

Funny that people say galway is getting a bad rep, I lived in Limerick, with its "danger city" tag for 5 years without the least bit of incident, lived and worked close to an area people would refer to as "troubled". Lived in Galway 6 months, have had property stolen from my residence and now this.

It doesnt matter where you live, sh1t just happens:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

If you're unhappy with your treatment by the Gardaí you should write a letter of complaint to the Garda ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Only just seen this thread and find one posters comment hard to believe.

BhoscaCapall said, in an earlier post, that the unlucky person "was obviously drunk".

Years ago I was knocked down by a car whilst on my way home and all I remember was lying in the road being attended to by an ambulance crew

I'd had 2 pints.
    The brain, fortunately, doesn't remember some painfull incidents.

If RINO87 remembered the attack completely just think how painful the memories would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

If you read it again you may have understood which point he was trying to make!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Only just seen this thread and find one posters comment hard to believe.

BhoscaCapall said, in an earlier post, that the unlucky person "was obviously drunk".

Years ago I was knocked down by a car whilst on my way home and all I remember was lying in the road being attended to by an ambulance crew

I'd had 2 pints.
    The brain, fortunately, doesn't remember some painfull incidents.
    Yeah, because people leaving Massimo's at half 2 in the morning had obviously just popped in for a couple pints at 1 in the morning :rolleyes:

I didn't say that because OP was drunk that it was in any way their fault. In fact, the entire point of my post (missed so spectacularly by inisboffin) was that being drunk does not automatically mean you are not being responsible, but unfortunately some goons (like bouncers and Guards) do not understand this.

Yeah, because people leaving Massimo's at half 2 in the morning had obviously just popped in for a couple pints at 1 in the morning :rolleyes:

I didn't say that because OP was drunk that it was in any way their fault. In fact, the entire point of my post (missed so spectacularly by inisboffin) was that being drunk does not automatically mean you are not being responsible, but unfortunately some goons (like bouncers and Guards) do not understand this.

I understand what you are saying but it is wrong to assume that someone was drunk.

I've a friend in the U.K. who, due to having had a kidney transplant, does not drink, but he still goes to pubs and night clubs, which always, of course, makes him a designated driver!:).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I've been in Karma as a dessie, does that automatically make me a drunk for leaving at closing time?

I understand what you are saying but it is wrong to assume that someone was drunk.

I've a friend in the U.K. who, due to having had a kidney transplant, does not drink, but he still goes to pubs and night clubs, which always, of course, makes him a designated driver!smile.gif.

Ah yes, how silly of me to assume that someone leaving a pub at 2.30am is drunk when you have a friend with a rare condition that means he cannot drink :rolleyes:
    antoobrien wrote: »
    I've been in Karma as a dessie, does that automatically make me a drunk for leaving at closing time?
    Hopefully not. Would you like to provide some more ridiculous examples which do nothing to disprove anything I've said?

• Advertisement

Ah yes, how silly of me to assume that someone leaving a pub at 2.30am is drunk when you have a friend with a rare condition that means he cannot drink :rolleyes:

Hopefully not. Would you like to provide some more ridiculous examples which do nothing to disprove anything I've said?

It's quite obvious that you don't know anyone who can enjoy going out without drinking.
    If you did you wouldn't be posting such purile and argumentative statements.

I suggest that we get back on track.
    Has RINO87 got an update for us?.

Advertisement