Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unprovoked assault, playground at the canal Thursday night 2.30

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Why are your posts so childish, gilberto never said he knows everyone and everything as you put it, he said he is aware of any groups of young lads drinking round the west as he lives there, he explained how he knows them and yet you just reply by patronising him and anyone who is also from there and of the same opinion.

Do you frequent the West at night, do you know who these groups of people are? Im gonna go out on a limb here and say you dont so therefore the word of locals would be worth far more to me than some patronising individual with nothing to go on.

for years before gilberto was born. In fact I probably know him, his parents and grandparents.

Don't assume! Thats where you get into trouble. ;)

As I say when one is 25 they think they know everything. When they hit the 50 or so mark, the realise they know nothing when they were 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

for years before gilberto was born.

Don't assume! Thats where you get into trouble. ;)
    But whats years ago to do with what happened last week? Do you know these young lads or something?

I will try to explain.

gilbert has adamently stated that these People are not from Claddagh. I am pointing out the fact that he doesn't actually know where they are from. He states that he knows nearly everyone west of the corrib even tho he is only 25 and he can tell that the people who hang out in the area drinking etc. are from Shantalla /West.

I am merely trying to point out that unless he has actually seen the assault himself, he does not know how was involved. He also I am sure, if put to the test, does not know where every young person from the West of the corrib comes from. Claddagh Park and surrounds attract LOTS of bushers, wineos, etc and has had many assaults - for him to blame neighbouring areas for this while being 100 adament that nothing bad comes from his own is a tad silly, and patronising, if you wish to use that word. If you actually go down to this area at night, or live closeby, you will realise his statments are farcical.

It's nice he is so patriarchial to his own neighbourhood - but putting down neighbouring ones is naive, silly and not accurate.

and again, unless he has actually seen the assault he has no right to "assume" where the person/people that carried out it are from.

Why are your posts so childish, gilberto never said he knows everyone and everything as you put it, he said he is aware of any groups of young lads drinking round the west as he lives there, he explained how he knows them and yet you just reply by patronising him and anyone who is also from there and of the same opinion.

Do you frequent the West at night, do you know who these groups of people are? Im gonna go out on a limb here and say you dont so therefore the word of locals would be worth far more to me than some patronising individual with nothing to go on.

and I'd at least know the faces of most Galway folk this side of the Corrib.

quite a feat for a young man of 25. :)

I will try to explain.

gilbert has adamently stated that these People are not from Claddagh. I am pointing out the fact that he doesn't actually know where they are from. He states that he knows nearly everyone west of the corrib even tho he is only 25 and he can tell that the people who hang out in the area drinking etc. are from Shantalla /West.

I am merely trying to point out that unless he has actually seen the assault himself, he does not know how was involved. He also I am sure, if put to the test, does not know where every young person from the West of the corrib comes from. Claddagh Park and surrounds attract LOTS of bushers, wineos, etc and has had many assaults - for him to blame neighbouring areas for this while being 100 adament that nothing bad comes from his own is a tad silly, and patronising, if you wish to use that word. If you actually go down to this area at night, or live closeby, you will realise his statments are farcical.

It's nice he is so patriarchial to his own neighbourhood - but putting down neighbouring ones is naive, silly and not accurate.

and again, unless he has actually seen the assault he has no right to "assume" where the person/people that carried out it are from.

I'm not going to bother with you after this post, I've had more locals back me up to know your opinion isn't worth much.

I never said I knew EVERYONE from this side of the Corrib, I said I knew most of the outgoing locals from the 18-30 age bracket.
    I also said I didn't know all personally, but if I didn't know them to talk too, I'd know their faces/names.

Also I did not say the lads who did this were from Shantalla/The West, I have said on NUMEROUS occasions that the only lads who might me mistaken for Claddagh lads who might frequent the area are from Shantalla/The West and that none of these are matching types from experience.

Stop talking to me like 25 is a child, I'm an adult and my knowledge at that age is just as good as anyone elses(even though you keep phrasing it in a more ''life experience'' way more than having eyes and ears and using them)

If you knew a lot more at 50 than 25 then you'd know a few things about respect and also how to understand the points I made(which you've taken up wrong on a few occasions), but maybe old age is catching up on you ;).... hey I can be patronizing too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭RINO87

guys, less of the quibbling please. I dont really care where these guys are from, and as I said it could have happened anywhere, I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

back to the point, just returned from a consultation in the hospital, broken cheekbone and smashed upper jaw to go along with my smashed teeth, the guard im dealing with wont be back on til friday so i cant make a statement until then, over a week AFTER the incident and I have still had no direct contact with the guard in question. This is gonna look great on my application to the victims of crime fund, which im gonna have to apply for as im gonna miss ten days of work and have some hefty dental and hospital bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Rino87 have you taken photos of your injuries? If not i recommend that you do if you end up going to court.
    I work down the West and the level of scumbags hanging around there lately has risen so much, a lot i recognise form Westside/Shantalla (i know this because i'm from Westside) but in general they're from all over the place.
    BTW from experience drinking with Claddagh lad, i'm surprised i haven't needed a liver transplant by now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

RINO87 wrote: »
    the guard im dealing with wont be back on til friday so i cant make a statement until then, over a week AFTER the incident and I have still had no direct contact with the guard in question.

You should complain & make it official. If people don't complain then the same thing will happen over again. The Gardai have treated you in a totally unacceptable way & it hardly inspires confidence that they have any interest in catching the culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

afaik you will be waiting months if not longer for the victims of crime compensation so dont be counting on it now.
    also afaik Gaurds work 3 weeks on 1 week off so looks like you caught him just as he ended his shift rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

my brother was attacked outside coyotes recently too, not as badly as you OP but his friend also lost teeth while being kicked in the mouth on ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

RINO87,
    Can I suggest that you write down, in the form of a statement, all that you remember now of the incident and take it to the Gardai. If you leave it too long your mind could start taking in, and being influenced by, things that other people tell you.
    It's how you remember/don't remember things yourself that are important.

Insist that you be allowed to leave your statement and sign it in front of a gard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭RINO87

I have photos taken on the night, and the next day. I am not relying on money from the fund, but maybe it might help payback the loans im gonna have to take out, all for something that was completly not my fault.
    Anyhow, I started this thread in the hope that someone may have seen something on the night, doesnt look like anyone did so shall we leave it at that?? Thanks to those that offered support and gave advice. I'll leave it up to the mods to lock this, but I dont think that its going to be anymore help to me.

What we can learn from this, previous threads, and that just about anyone I have talked to knows someone who has also been a victim of an unprovoked assault, is that galway is turning a bit nasty. Stay safe folks.

Just the the recent post about coyotes. Maybe we should run a thread charting these events, just so they are in the public eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

RINO87 wrote: »
    I have photos taken on the night, and the next day. I am not relying on money from the fund, but maybe it might help payback the loans im gonna have to take out, all for something that was completly not my fault.
    Anyhow, I started this thread in the hope that someone may have seen something on the night, doesnt look like anyone did so shall we leave it at that?? Thanks to those that offered support and gave advice. I'll leave it up to the mods to lock this, but I dont think that its going to be anymore help to me.

What we can learn from this, previous threads, and that just about anyone I have talked to knows someone who has also been a victim of an unprovoked assault, is that galway is turning a bit nasty. Stay safe folks.

Just the the recent post about coyotes. Maybe we should run a thread charting these events, just so they are in the public eye?

Not a bad idea. Hope everything falls into place for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Few months ago a bunch of scumbags hanging out in the playground started on me as I was going to work. Happened around 10.35pm, thankfully I was sober and by the time they had come out of the playground I was long gone.

Unfortunately we live in an age where the law is more on the side of scumbags. As one cretin informed me last night "****ing loopholes there's always loopholes, Know more than any **** in a suit (solicitor)"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

RINO87,
    Can I suggest that you write down, in the form of a statement, all that you remember now of the incident and take it to the Gardai. If you leave it too long your mind could start taking in, and being influenced by, things that other people tell you.
    It's how you remember/don't remember things yourself that are important.

Insist that you be allowed to leave your statement and sign it in front of a gard.

I agree. It is ridiculous that you can only deal with one Guard & have to wait for him to return from his week off :rolleyes:

Advertisement