Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good VST'S/ VSTI's

Options
  • 31-03-2012 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, can any one of you share a list of vst's you have or at least your favourite one, the ones you use for most of your productions?
    I can't find any decent ones on the internet, tbh I just don't know where to look I'd say. I just need to hear some new sounds. Sick of nexus...:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

WasterEx wrote: »
    Hey lads, can any one of you share a list of vst's you have or at least your favourite one, the ones you use for most of your productions?
    I can't find any decent ones on the internet, tbh I just don't know where to look I'd say. I just need to hear some new sounds. Sick of nexus...:pac:

Massive list of free synths and other plugins at KVR
    I can never justify the cost of commercial synths as I only produce as a hobby so I can't give any opinions on the main synths out there. However a great free one is Audjoo Helix. Fairly complex and you can really shape the presets to creeate your own sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

mordeith wrote: »
    Massive list of free synths and other plugins at KVR
    I can never justify the cost of commercial synths as I only produce as a hobby so I can't give any opinions on the main synths out there. However a great free one is Audjoo Helix. Fairly complex and you can really shape the presets to creeate your own sounds

Cheers man, thanks for that! Already spotted a few I think I might find useful :D Also if anyone else has any more links or whatever please post :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

VSTs can be sorted by price/free/os etc..

VSTIs as above

• Registered Users Posts: 15 acidpenguin

Sylenth1 definitely, always go back to it. And then there is TAL http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

I've been a sylenth user for years now and recently tried Native Intruments Razor - ummmm, has much more scope for leads/bass - bags of character and great fun with some simple controls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Sylenth1 definitely, always go back to it. And then there is TAL http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products

I used Sylenth alot before, haven't touched it in a while though, think I'll start using it again. I'll check out TAL and see what the story is tongue.gif
    Neurojazz wrote: »
    I've been a sylenth user for years now and recently tried Native Intruments Razor - ummmm, has much more scope for leads/bass - bags of character and great fun with some simple controls.

I like a lot of the other Native Instruments stuff so might aswell give Razor a shot since you put it that way:pac:.

Nice one lads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 NinjaNinja

It completely depends on the style of music you make...

But personally I utilize Massive a lot, as well as Sylenth, Z3TA+2, Albino etc.

That's assuming you're talking about instruments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

To echo Ninjas comments. It really depends on the style of music you’re doing, and how deep into synthesis you want to go.

There are a lot of “virtual analog” (VA) synths out there, and they are suited to a particular classic type of synth sound, such as moogy basses and electro leads. If you’ve got Sylenth, you already have one of the best VA synths available. It has beautiful sounding filters, and a ton of modulation and effects. It’s also easy to use, and low on CPU.

FM synthesis was always great for bells and metallic sounds, though the new FM synths like FM8 and Operator are great for glitch, techno, and weird textures.

Then there is Wavetable/Granular synthesis, Additive/Spectural synthesis, classic sampling, and hybrids of different types of sound generation/manipulation.

For me, Massive (wavetable hybrid) has the perfect balance between ease of use and sonic potential. I always laugh when people call it a dubstep synth. Yeah, it’s great for growls, but Massive is equally adept at shimmering pads and delicate keys. It’s fairly heavy on CPU though.

If you like using presets, there are TONS of great commercial presets available for both Massive and Sylenth. They are two of the most popular synths for good reason. They’re brilliant.

Zebra II is a bottomless pit of sound, but it’s not easy to get into. ACE is very popular now, but I personally don’t like virtual patch cables.

Don’t spread yourself too thin. Much better to fully know how to use 2 synths, then to half know how to use a dozen synths.

Since you already have Nexus and sylenth covering rompler and VA sounds, I would recommend you get just one more synth, something with some edgy, smudgy, sonic potential that goes beyond VA subtractive synthesis.

Check out:
    Massive (easy to program, huge sonic potential, high on cpu)
    Zebra (complex, colossal, low on cpu)
    Alchemy (very popular hybrid)
    SynPlant (fun experimental synth, great for ethereal pads and weird alien drones)
    Absynth (complex, ideal for textures, pads, atmos)

Oh yeah, ACE is another I would personally recommend, once you get past all the patch cord stuff you can make some pretty cool sounds.

634232886479843750_large.jpg

condra wrote: »
    To echo Ninjas comments. It really depends on the style of music you’re doing, and how deep into synthesis you want to go.

There are a lot of “virtual analog” (VA) synths out there, and they are suited to a particular classic type of synth sound, such as moogy basses and electro leads. If you’ve got Sylenth, you already have one of the best VA synths available. It has beautiful sounding filters, and a ton of modulation and effects. It’s also easy to use, and low on CPU.

FM synthesis was always great for bells and metallic sounds, though the new FM synths like FM8 and Operator are great for glitch, techno, and weird textures.

Then there is Wavetable/Granular synthesis, Additive/Spectural synthesis, classic sampling, and hybrids of different types of sound generation/manipulation.

For me, Massive (wavetable hybrid) has the perfect balance between ease of use and sonic potential. I always laugh when people call it a dubstep synth. Yeah, it’s great for growls, but Massive is equally adept at shimmering pads and delicate keys. It’s fairly heavy on CPU though.

If you like using presets, there are TONS of great commercial presets available for both Massive and Sylenth. They are two of the most popular synths for good reason. They’re brilliant.

Zebra II is a bottomless pit of sound, but it’s not easy to get into. ACE is very popular now, but I personally don’t like virtual patch cables.

Don’t spread yourself too thin. Much better to fully know how to use 2 synths, then to half know how to use a dozen synths.

Since you already have Nexus and sylenth covering rompler and VA sounds, I would recommend you get just one more synth, something with some edgy, smudgy, sonic potential that goes beyond VA subtractive synthesis.

Check out:
    Massive (easy to program, huge sonic potential, high on cpu)
    Zebra (complex, colossal, low on cpu)
    Alchemy (very popular hybrid)
    SynPlant (fun experimental synth, great for ethereal pads and weird alien drones)
    Absynth (complex, ideal for textures, pads, atmos)

Absynth - hmmm, take the manual to bed as this thing is deep and very, very creative - If you want to tear things apart and create unique sounds for unique tracks then this is worth the time - It's a fail to even try to use it without the manual though.

And then another forgotten gem.... Vanguard - has it's strengths. Usually look around for that if doing either 8 bit style or need a really in your face backing / lead / percussive (But Razor seems to fill that spot perfectly now)

I'm probably going to try u-he diva tonight to see if it's got balls :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

How did someone like Jean Michel Jarre create his sounds in the 70s.

I know he was using a moog. But that was the time before presets - and getting those sounds is not that simple. I think you could be playing around for years before you might stumble on them.

Did Moog have a funky manual?

krd wrote: »
    How did someone like Jean Michel Jarre create his sounds in the 70s.

I know he was using a moog. But that was the time before presets - and getting those sounds is not that simple. I think you could be playing around for years before you might stumble on them.

Did Moog have a funky manual?

Don't know if you've used a modular extensively, but the stuff Jarre make is sort of logical & simple - It's really easy to make curious/weird sounds, but you sort of get led around intuitively with kit like that - With a musical background you'd aim for stability, control, shaping, volume, timing etc... You have the limited tools in front of you and some room for creative weirdness (wack an lfo on some of the parameters and you then zone in on the stability)

I could imagine the manuals back then would have been painfully short and you had to use your wits mostly.

I've just got hold of DIVA (u-he) and looks like a winner, but don't go near it unless you've got an i7 - it's a beast, but feel like i've got piece of hardware under my hands :) (old, warm hardware :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Anyone got a link for some sylenth patches?

Free ones, obviously not cracked/pirated ones! :-) I could do a google but a direct link would be sound of ye all! :-)

eeloe wrote: »
    Anyone got a link for some sylenth patches?

Free ones, obviously not cracked/pirated ones! :-) I could do a google but a direct link would be sound of ye all! :-)

The best Sylenth patches are the ones you make yourself

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

NinjaNinja wrote: »
    The best Sylenth patches are the ones you make yourself

Aye i know, the way i'm doing it mostly, if finding a preset with a sound close enough to what i want, and then tweaking with it to get it the way i want it!

I really really need to learn synthesis tho...like really bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

if you want free check out Synth1 and the Variety of Sound plugins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

eeloe you can get free sylenth patches on KVR

Advertisement