Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Belfast: where to live?

Options
  • 31-03-2012 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

There's a chance I might be moving Belfast for work. I'm not sure how likely it is but I want to be prepared. Whereabouts should I look for accommodation in the city? I'm fairly familiar with it, visiting a few times in the last few years. I'd most likely be working in the Titanic Quarter. Where would you recommend to live? In contrast, where would you suggest I don't?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I would avoid Holylands
    Student district. Nothing unsafe about it but loud parties and noise, not the best for a working person

The good thing about Belfast is it's very compact and walkable, when I lived there I was able to walk everywhere

I lived in the Loopland area of Cregagh Road which is not far from your area
    Lots of shops and the people are grand.
    Very safe area, I felt safer there then living in Dublin or Galway though to be fair, I'm not in the best areas.

Just to say I never drank in the local pubs in that area.
    I loved going out in Belfast but that was always in the city centre or down the student area.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This thread is worth a read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CR7

Hey

Belfast can be daunting place to house hunt as a catholic / southerner. Definitely get someone's advice about an area before you flathunt there.

Avoid loyalist areas thats anywhere East of the river, North or North West.

City centre BT1 BT5 BT7 are all suitable basically the South from the city all the way up Ormeau rd or Lisburn road and Queens Uni.

Good luck it's a great time to be movin here - a lot going on this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 niallhy

hi all.
    i'm moving to Belfast for a months work soon and after checking up on daft most of the rents seem to be for a year and i'm not going to fork out for a hotel either for a month so can anyone here please recommend something like a b&b or suchlike i could stay in.i'm from kilkenny and catholic so would be looking for somewhere quiet and without parties going 24/7.all help much appreciated.and i will be working near the M1 if thats any help..

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭6679

Flipping southerns coming up here taking our jobs ;)

I made the move from the south last year as pointed out already there is a big thread on this already. I've lived in BT7 and BT9 and never had a problem but that said at the end of my street there was a big fire on the 12th and I got the marches going past my street (was waiting for a lift and it came past).

Ive never had a problem being a southern up here sure I get a fair bit of slagging for it but thats a given. Sure I even wear a ROI jersey playing football in a strong loyalist area in the nothern part of the city.

Best place to look for somewhere to live are
    http://www.gumtree.com/belfast (Got my BT7 house there)
    http://www.spareroom.co.uk/ (Got my BT9 house there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 niallhy

thanks for the info 6679.
    i'll look into what you have supplied for me and hopefully find out what suits me.thanks again

Advertisement