Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lough in Cork City

Options
  • 31-03-2012 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi I wonder if you could help me out, my young fella is mad into fishing and is a member of prebait, he's been looking up places he'd like to fish and the Lough in Cork City is one of them.
    But we have spoken to a few people who have said to keep away from it as it is in a rough area and anglers have been hassled etc.
    Just wondering is this true or not. I (mum) will be taking him so I dont need any agro iykwim, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Hi JM....

It's safe enough to fish there,,as long as your in daylight hours. Like any other place,,it can be hit and miss..

If any anglers at The Lough do have trouble,it seems to be at night,hence why you tend to get them fishing in groups there.

Having said that,,he could fish it at night,,and have no trouble at all...Would you take the risk though?

Other than that,,having grew up there,fished it a lot,,and still do on and off,,there is some great Carp fishing to be had there.

Years ago,there were small numbers of Carp there,,but they were all big fish..14-16lbs + .

These days though,to save the stock there from dying off,and being poached,and eaten,they have re-stocked it...So there are a lot more fish there,but tend to be smaller..The average maybe 8-10lbs.

But there is still the odd 20lb fish there too.

You may get more information on this site here... http://www.carpfishingireland.com/forum

It's free to join,and after you login,go to the "Catch Reports"...You will find more up-to-date stuff on The Lough there from the guys that are fishing it now.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

During the day it should be fine, what hassle I heard was at night time and it was drunks on their way home. The lough itself is a dive though, if you can the Lee reservoir is much nicer, has more fish and permits are available in Coachford

stylie wrote: »
    During the day it should be fine, what hassle I heard was at night time and it was drunks on their way home. The lough itself is a dive though, if you can the Lee reservoir is much nicer, has more fish and permits are available in Coachford

Have to agree,,Some great fishing up there...

Only downside to it is having to drive all the way to Coachford just to get the permits.

You'd think they would make an effort to sell them somewhere in,or even close to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

SexyGuy wrote: »

Have to agree,,Some great fishing up there...

Only downside to it is having to drive all the way to Coachford just to get the permits.

You'd think they would make an effort to sell them somewhere in,or even close to the city.

What about that lake out in curraheen which had carp, Rudd and bream in it
    Is there fish still in it that place is very quiet
    Well it used to be anyway

realrebel wrote: »

Curraheen???

Never heard of one out there...

Only other one I knew of anywhere in that direction was the old resevoir in Ballincollig...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Curraheen???

Only other one I knew of anywhere in that direction was the old resevoir in Ballincollig...

If they can travel by car then head to my secret haven ! Knockannanig reservoir in fermoy - there are shallow swims with roach perch etc & deeper with tench & skimmers http://m.facebook.com/pages/Knockananig-Reservoir/317269771622727?id=317269771622727&_rdr

It's a gorgeous location - properly built swims , well maintained & absolutely no hassle - I've never blanked there & started my own 7 year old there

It's a secret ! So don't tell anyone about it lol

Enjoy & feel free to pm me if you need any info on directions, swims or bait

Andi

........The lough itself is a dive though......

The Lough itself is not a dive. What are you basing that claim on?

Curraheen???

Ah sorry that's the place I couldn't think of the area haha

A few people still fish that. It's very overgrown there now,and run-down.

The access from the road next to it has been blocked off,and you now have to gain entry via a field on the far side somewhere. It's through some farmers field,,but as far as I know,he's not too happy with people doing that.

A lot of the Carp are gone from it. They were stolen,poached,and a lot were eaten.

But,,there is still a large number of the bream and skimmers in it. Not My cup of tea,but could be a good days fishing for others.

Andip wrote: »
    If they can travel by car then head to my secret haven ! Knockannanig reservoir in fermoy - there are shallow swims with roach perch etc & deeper with tench & skimmers http://m.facebook.com/pages/Knockananig-Reservoir/317269771622727?id=317269771622727&_rdr

It's a gorgeous location - properly built swims , well maintained & absolutely no hassle - I've never blanked there & started my own 7 year old there

It's a secret ! So don't tell anyone about it lol

Enjoy & feel free to pm me if you need any info on directions, swims or bait

Andi

Fantastic spot to fish.

It's been years since I was there,and wouldn't know how to get there now from the main road.

But,,like you,,,the few times I have fished it,I always caught something from there.

I think it was run down for a while,,and there was trouble there with kids drinking,,etc..But I think all that is sorted now as far as I know.

Defo worth a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Fantastic spot to fish.

It's been years since I was there,and wouldn't know how to get there now from the main road.

But,,like you,,,the few times I have fished it,I always caught something from there.

I think it was run down for a while,,and there was trouble there with kids drinking,,etc..But I think all that is sorted now as far as I know.

Defo worth a go.

They've done loads of work there - even picnic tables around the pathway & free car park with no licence fee either - puts a lot of fisheries to shame.

A few people still fish that. It's very overgrown there now,and run-down.

The access from the road next to it has been blocked off,and you now have to gain entry via a field on the far side somewhere. It's through some farmers field,,but as far as I know,he's not too happy with people doing that.

A lot of the Carp are gone from it. They were stolen,poached,and a lot were eaten.

But,,there is still a large number of the bream and skimmers in it. Not My cup of tea,but could be a good days fishing for others.

I used to fish it years ago for the carp and before that rainbow trout
    I had one trout about 3lbs out of it fishing with sweet corn, I wonder is there any trout left there
    It's a shame it's not looked after it could be a great little fishery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I've fished it a few times and was never hassled.

I had one trout about 3lbs out of it fishing with sweet corn, I wonder is there any trout left there

Yeah,,I remember it as a trout fishery. Sadly the guy that had it at the time passed away a few years ago.

I have not heard of any trout being caught out of there for years and years though.

Yes,it would be a fantastic fishery if it was well maintained and looked after. I think a lot of the problem there these days though is a combination of the County Council,and some insurance problems.

Yeah,,I remember it as a trout fishery. Sadly the guy that had it at the time passed away a few years ago.

I have not heard of any trout being caught out of there for years and years though.

Yes,it would be a fantastic fishery if it was well maintained and looked after. I think a lot of the problem there these days though is a combination of the County Council,and some insurance problems.

It must be 20 years ago when I caught that trout lol
    It would be a fine fishery alright I wonder how you go about leasing it out from whoever owns it

It must be 20 years ago when I caught that trout lol
    It would be a fine fishery alright I wonder how you go about leasing it out from whoever owns it

I think your first port of call there would be the County Council...And then the Fishery Board...

Both of those would be able to help you out with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

RoverJames wrote: »
    The Lough itself is not a dive. What are you basing that claim on?

The fact is full of bird **** and other decomposing waste. Have you ever looked at the bottom of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

The fact is full of bird **** and other decomposing waste. Have you ever looked at the bottom of it ?

Didn't a load of swans die there last year from Botulism...... best left alone for a young fella:cool:

Advertisement